Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

2009 VOTING CLOSED- Football Future HOF Rookies- Modern Set Additions

Alright guys, time for our annual voting for additions to the Future HOF Rookie-Modern Set. Same rules apply as before. Anyone who gets 50% or more of the vote here will be sent to PSA as a requested addition to the set. PSA will then send out a poll for these players and will require majority vote here again. All other times we voted here for the additions to the modern and the senior set, each player we requested was approved.

Please reply with your votes. We will keep a running tally until next Friday morning unless we go more than 48 hours at any point without any more votes. If that happens we will end it early.

Also, ANYONE can be nominated who is either an active player, or a retired player eligible for the HOF. Please, lets try and be realistic though so the ballot doesn't stretch to 100 players. We are looking for players that each of us feels is either a lock or a near certain lock to make the HOF in the future. You can also request a player be REMOVED from this set which I will be doing for the first time this year. Once complete we can discuss which cards for each player if need be.

Anyway, here are the candidates broken down into groups. Please post your votes here on this thread and I will keep a running tally:

ACTIVE PLAYERS:
Brian Dawkins, S-13 Seasons, 7 Pro Bowls, 4 All-Pro
Steve Hutchinson, OG- 8 Seasons, 6 Pro Bowls, 4 All-Pro
Ed Reed, S-7 Seasons, 5 Pro Bowls, 4 All-Pro, Also one time Defensive Player of the Year
Kevin Williams, DT-6 Seasons, 4 Pro Bowls, 4 All-Pro
Kevin Mawae, OC-15 Seasons, 7 Pro Bowls, 3 All-Pro
Jason Taylor, DE-12 Seasons, 6 Pro Bowls, 3 All-Pro, Also one time Defensive Player of the Year
Olin Kreutz, OC-11 Seasons, 6 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro
La'Roi Glover, DT-13 Seasons, 6 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro
Matt Birk, OC-11 Seasons, 6 Pro Bowls, 0 All-Pro
Chris Samuels, OT-9 Seasons, 6 Pro Bowls, 0 All-Pro
Edgerrin James, RB-10 Seasons, 4 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro, Surpassed 12,000 yards rushing

RETIRED PLAYERS:
Cortez Kennedy- Selected as a 2009 HOF Finalist, 2 time semifinalist, 7 Pro Bowls, 3 All-Pros, Also one time Defensive Player of the Year
Charles Haley, DE/LB- Selected as a HOF Semifinalist 4 times, 5 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pros (5 Super Bowl Rings)
Steve Tasker, ST- Selected as a HOF Semifinalist 3 times, 7 Pro Bowls
Chris Doleman, DE- Selected as a HOF Semifinalist 2 times, 8 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pros
Joe Jacoby, OT- Selected as a HOF Semifinalist 2 times, 4 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pros

FOR REMOVAL FROM THE SET:
Steve At-water, S- Five straight years he has NOT been selected as one of the top 25 HOF candidates

There you have it.

Here are my votes:
ADD:
Brian Dawkins-1
Steve Hutchinson-1
Ed Reed-1
Kevin Mawae-1
Charles Haley-1
Cortez Kennedy-1

REMOVE:
Steve At-water-1

Happy voting!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jason
I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

Comments

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    My votes:

ADD:

Brian Dawkins-1
    Ed Reed-1
    Jason Taylor-1
    Charles Haley*-1
    Cortez Kennedy-1

REMOVE:

Steve At-water-1
    Jimmy Smith-1
    All Cowboys-1

*49ers
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    ADD:

Ed Reed
    Edgerrin James
    Charles Haley
    Joe Jacoby

REMOVE:

Steve At-water (I always wondered why it was hyphenated...LOL!!!)
    Leroy Butler
    Jimmy Smith
    Terrell Davis

Jasen
  • Options
    Brian Dawkins. 3
    Steve Hutchinson 2
    Ed Reed 4
    Kevin Mawae 2
    Charles Haley 4
    Cortez kennedy 3
    Jason Taylor 2
    Ronde Barber 1
    Steve Tasker 1
    Joe Jacoby 2
    Edgerin james 1

Remove
    Steve At water 3
    All Cowboys 2

Edited to add in the Cardinal dudes votes...

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Additions:

Cortez Kennedy
    Edgerrin James
    Charles Haley
    Steve Tasker
    Chris Doleman
    Jason Taylor

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    My votes:

ACTIVE PLAYERS:
    Ed Reed, S-7 Seasons, 5 Pro Bowls, 4 All-Pro, Also one time Defensive Player of the Year
    Edgerrin James, RB-10 Seasons, 4 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro, Surpassed 12,000 yards rushing

RETIRED PLAYERS:
    Cortez Kennedy- Selected as a 2009 HOF Finalist, 2 time semifinalist, 7 Pro Bowls, 3 All-Pros, Also one time Defensive Player of the Year
    Charles Haley, DE/LB- Selected as a HOF Semifinalist 4 times, 5 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pros (5 Super Bowl Rings)
    Steve Tasker, ST- Selected as a HOF Semifinalist 3 times, 7 Pro Bowls
    Chris Doleman, DE- Selected as a HOF Semifinalist 2 times, 8 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pros
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Add:

Kevin Williams, DT-6 Seasons, 4 Pro Bowls, 4 All-Pro
    Jason Taylor, DE-12 Seasons, 6 Pro Bowls, 3 All-Pro, Also one time Defensive Player of the Year
    Joe Jacoby, OT- Selected as a HOF Semifinalist 2 times, 4 Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pros
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    ADD:
    Charles Haley
    Ed Reed
    Cortez Kennedy
    Brian Dawkins
    Steve Hutchinson
    Steve Tasker
    Kevin Mawae-2
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I haven't registered this set, although I do have HOFers and HOF rookies sets active.
    If you don't want to count my vote, I won't mind.

I vote to add

I vote to remove
    Steve At-water, S- Five straight years he has NOT been selected as one of the top 25 HOF candidates

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    my list

Dawkins
    Hutch
    Reed
    Dawkins
    Mawser
    Doleman
    Dawkins

pete banasalk
    Ben Davidson...for the arm wrestling HOF

remove
    all cowboys

gees I need most of them
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Jason,

Put me down for removing all Cowboys and Seahawks....wait a minute...there are no Seahawks in the set...(sorry Joe - couldn't resist)...

I vote for:

ACTIVE PLAYERS:
    Kurt Warner

RETIRED PLAYERS:

Jimmy Smith

What's interesting is that no WR/RB/QB were among the players listed in the initial list. The only offensive players (excluding OL) I can think of who are nearing inclusion in the future HOF set would be McNabb, Warner (who may be a shoo in if the Cards go deep in the playoffs), Chad Johnson (before this year) and Clinton Portis. There are several WRs at/over 10,000 years (Muhammad, Mason, Galloway), however none are HOF calibre IMHO.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>my list

Dawkins
    Hutch
    Reed
    Dawkins
    Mawser
    Doleman
    Dawkins

pete banasalk
    Ben Davidson...for the arm wrestling HOF

remove
    all cowboys

gees I need most of them >>

Were you really wanting Pete Banaszak added from the Raiders? That was a good friend of my Mom's in high school in a small town called Crivitz, Wisconsin. His last name is pronounced ba na shek but no one could figure that out so he changed it to BAN a ZAK.

• Options
    I assume some of these are jokes (all cowboys for example), but just in case if you are serious, please post the actual names of those you want remove. I have no problem counting them. I don't think Banazak and Davidson are eligible as modern candidates anymore....Even for the Arm Wrestling HOF...lol

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>What's interesting is that no WR/RB/QB were among the players listed in the initial list. The only offensive players (excluding OL) I can think of who are nearing inclusion in the future HOF set would be McNabb, Warner (who may be a shoo in if the Cards go deep in the playoffs), Chad Johnson (before this year) and Clinton Portis. There are several WRs at/over 10,000 years (Muhammad, Mason, Galloway), however none are HOF calibre IMHO.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Yeah, I think we had already added most of the recent skill players who were already nearing HOF status. We may have a few next year (McNabb, Portis are top players who are getting close). But I'd like to see more from all of them..And Kurt Warner nneds another MVP (which he didn't get) or a Super Bowl apperance which is probably a longshot at this point in order to be worthy IMO. If the Cards somehow find a way to even GET to the Super Bowl, we may need to hold a special late vote for Warner's addition because he that would be the final straw I feel he is lacking. But hey, if the majority think he's ready now, so be it. Just my feeling that the HOF committee will need to see 3 MVPs or 3 Super Bowl apperances beside his name on the ballot t be able to forget about all of his bad years in between.

Jason
  • Options
    Hello Everyone:

My votes are
    Brian Dawkins
    Ed Reed
    Jason Taylor
    Cortez Kennedy
    Charles Haley*

(cowboys only image )

David

It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>Jason,

Put me down for removing all Cowboys and Seahawks....wait a minute...there are no Seahawks in the set...(sorry Joe - couldn't resist)...

Greg M. >>

Thats funny!! After the season the Hawks just had.... way to kick a guy while he's down. Why dont you kick me in the balls while your at it Greg.

I see Cortez is gettin some love though, and EX Seahawk Steve "Poison pill" Hutchinson made first team all pro this year, and hawks have the #4 draft choice!

We might be the Dolphins of 09 Greg!

Edited to add, odds are my sig line bet comes down in about..... 6 hours! Have fun at the game Nike!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Cards for the 99.9% "lock" additions so far:

If anyone disagrees with any of these, please post and we can discuss and decide as a group if you have an alternate card in mind.

Charles Haley- 1987 Topps #125 (I have an extra PSA 10 BTW..If anyone needs it, PM me)
    Ed Reed- 2002 Topps Chrome #208
    Brian Dawkins- 1996 Finest #344
    Cortez Kennedy- 1990 Score Supplemental #68T

Jason
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    ACTIVE PLAYERS:

Steve Hutchinson, OG
    Ed Reed, S

RETIRED PLAYERS:
    Charles Haley, DE/LB
    Chris Doleman, DE

Steve At-water, S
    Jimmy Smith, WR
    Terrell Davis, RB
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cards for the 99.9% "lock" additions so far:

If anyone disagrees with any of these, please post and we can discuss and decide as a group if you have an alternate card in mind.

Charles Haley- 1987 Topps #125 (I have an extra PSA 10 BTW..If anyone needs it, PM me)
    Ed Reed- 2002 Topps Chrome #208
    Brian Dawkins- 1996 Finest #344
    Cortez Kennedy- 1990 Score Supplemental #68T

Jason >>

I would consider Kennedy's best/most valuable rookie card to be 1990 Fleer Update. Kennedy had a regular Score issue in '90, meaning that his Score Supplemental isn't actually a rookie card. This goes back to the Junior Seau debate...

As for Ed Reed, I think 2002 SPX could wind up as his best (for set registry purposes) rookie card. Too early to tell between that and Topps Chrome. Clinton Portis is in the same boat.

Just my dos centavos...
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    My votes......

Add.....

Kurt Warner

Remove

Leroy Butler
    Jimmy Smith
    Terrell Davis

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    With Ed Reed. I just looked at ebay and the topps chrome have been selling for $6-8 each raw. The last couple sPx cards have went for 99 cents.

Its too bad that we cant use the SP Authentic. It is a much nicer card than the two listed above. It does, however contain an autograph. I would be in favor of using autographed cards in this set for the newer players. I know most would disagree with me though.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>With Ed Reed. I just looked at ebay and the topps chrome have been selling for $6-8 each raw. The last couple sPx cards have went for 99 cents.

Its too bad that we cant use the SP Authentic. It is a much nicer card than the two listed above. It does, however contain an autograph. I would be in favor of using autographed cards in this set for the newer players. I know most would disagree with me though.

Dave >>

The other issue with some of the auto cards is they are typically individually numbered very low, and we could face a situation in which there were not enough cards produced to meet the number of collectors on the set. Same with all individually numbered cards, I believe that previously on the NFL HOF RC thread we had come to a consensus that /999 would be the lowest number we would want to see allowed on any of these sets. Simply to keep it open for future growth.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>

I would consider Kennedy's best/most valuable rookie card to be 1990 Fleer Update. Kennedy had a regular Score issue in '90, meaning that his Score Supplemental isn't actually a rookie card. This goes back to the Junior Seau debate...

As for Ed Reed, I think 2002 SPX could wind up as his best (for set registry purposes) rookie card. Too early to tell between that and Topps Chrome. Clinton Portis is in the same boat.

Just my dos centavos... >>

Junior Seau, and Emmitt Smith, as Emmitt also has a card in the 1990 Score Supplemental set. I don;t think there is a debate as to which rookies from that year (1990) were the most valuable. Clearly the 1990 Score Supp. The debate comes down to are ONLY first series cards considered rookies, or are 2nd or update series cards from the same year considered rookies...

I agree with Dave 100% on the Ed Reed (and soon to be Portis) rookie cards. The Topps Chrome in almost if not every case outsells the SPX. We also had a poll on this I think on the HOF RC thread in which we rated the 2002 Toops Chrome above the 2002 SPX (Same for 2003) in all cases in which the player a a card in both sets. The 2003 and 2004 SP Authentic has some rookies which are NOT autographed or numbered under 999 (Jason Witten, Troy Polamalu, Bob Sanders are examples) and those were selected above the Topps Chrome and SPX from the same year.

But, I'm open to voting and want whatever card is selected to be selected by the majority. I don;t want to be in the position were anyone feels I am shoving or forcing a card down anyones throat..I've been told that I've done that in the past? My apologies if that is the case. I will put both of the card to vote.

Jason
  • Options
    Ok, need another vote on card selection. If anymore come up as questionable, we will add to the vote. Please select:

Cortez Kennedy
    1990 Fleer Update
    1990 Score Supplemental

Ed Reed
    2002 Topps Chrome
    2002 SPX

My Votes:
    Kennedy
    1990 Score Supplemental-1

Reed
    2002 Topps Chrome-1
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    same as jason.
    the 90 sup has been the card of choice for others...why change.

I kinda agree with dave..I would be ok with some sp auto'd cards. Don't have any at this point......like the 2005's
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>same as jason.
    the 90 sup has been the card of choice for others...why change.

I kinda agree with dave..I would be ok with some sp auto'd cards. Don't have any at this point......like the 2005's >>

Jay do you know what the cards are numbered to? I wouldn't have a problem with them either as long as there are at least /999 produced of the players specific card. And it is a base set card. I really don't know anything about 2005-present stuff.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, need another vote on card selection. If anymore come up as questionable, we will add to the vote. Please select:

Cortez Kennedy
    1990 Fleer Update
    1990 Score Supplemental

Ed Reed
    2002 Topps Chrome
    2002 SPX

My Votes:
    Kennedy
    1990 Score Supplemental-1

Reed
    2002 Topps Chrome-1 >>

My votes:

Kennedy
    1990 Score Supplemental

Reed
    2002 SP Authentic (which I don't believe is one of the short prints...)

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Jason - it's not a question (for some of us, at least) whether 2nd series or update cards are true rookies, but whether they are true rookies when there was a 1st series card also produced of the player. In baseball, there is a very comparable example with Cal Ripken Jr. His 2 most valuable rookie year cards are 1982 Topps and 1982 Topps Traded, with the Topps Traded usually outselling the Topps. There is a significant split of opinion as to whether the Topps Traded should count as his best rookie, but the majority of baseball collectors go with the Topps (also possibly influencing this debate is that Topps Traded was only sold as boxed sets that year).

As far as allowing autographed rookies goes, I would have liked to have seen it for these cards the whole time (as well as for GU cards), but changing it now could necessitate changing a number of cards already in the set, and I'm really not sure how we would treat autographed unnumbered cards (e.g., 2000 Playoff Contenders).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I dont disagree with the serial #ed cards being under 1000. I'm not sure any of the players already selected have a autographed card #er higher than 1000.

Ed Reed would be the exception. His SP authentic (autographed) is #ed to 1150

I'm pretty sure the playoff contender cards have a print run of less than 1000, which would exclude them. Same with the exquisite and other high end cards.

I would say to include the highest priced card of any player whether it contained an autograph and/or swatch......as long as it has a print run of 1000+
    Just my opinion

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

Kennedy
    1990 Score Supplemental

Reed
    2002 SP Authentic
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Kennedy
    1990 Score Supplemental

Reed
    2002 SP Authentic
    >>

Ditto.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

• Options
    ADD:

Ed Reed
    Brian Dawkins
    Steve Hutchinson

REMOVE:
    Leroy Butler
    Jimmy Smith
    Terrell Davis
  • Options
    I want to nominate Larry Fitzgerald to this set as well. He's a stud!!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

As far as allowing autographed rookies goes, I would have liked to have seen it for these cards the whole time (as well as for GU cards), but changing it now could necessitate changing a number of cards already in the set, and I'm really not sure how we would treat autographed unnumbered cards (e.g., 2000 Playoff Contenders).

Nick >>

Nick, which cards would need to be switched? Keeping in mind that we are looking for BASE SET cards not numbered lower than /999?

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>I want to nominate Larry Fitzgerald to this set as well. He's a stud!!! >>

Adrian Peterson too!!!
  • Options
    Kennedy: Fleer Update
    Reed: Topps Chrome

title.
  • Options

<< <i>Jason - it's not a question (for some of us, at least) whether 2nd series or update cards are true rookies, but whether they are true rookies when there was a 1st series card also produced of the player. In baseball, there is a very comparable example with Cal Ripken Jr. His 2 most valuable rookie year cards are 1982 Topps and 1982 Topps Traded, with the Topps Traded usually outselling the Topps. There is a significant split of opinion as to whether the Topps Traded should count as his best rookie, but the majority of baseball collectors go with the Topps (also possibly influencing this debate is that Topps Traded was only sold as boxed sets that year).

Nick >>

I agree w/ you since he had a base rookie card in Score the Supplemental isn't a true rookie.

title.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Jason,

Greg M. >>

Thats funny!! After the season the Hawks just had.... way to kick a guy while he's down. Why dont you kick me in the balls while your at it Greg.

I see Cortez is gettin some love though, and EX Seahawk Steve "Poison pill" Hutchinson made first team all pro this year, and hawks have the #4 draft choice!

We might be the Dolphins of 09 Greg!

Edited to add, odds are my sig line bet comes down in about..... 6 hours! Have fun at the game Nike!! >>

Joe,

Being a Seahawks fan, your balls are ripe for the kicking image Seriously, I hope the Hawks get better because I will root for any team that beats the 49ers!

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Joe,

Looks like your new sig line isn't coming down for any week at least...

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Put my vote in for:
    ADD:
    Ed Reed
    Charles Haley
    Brian Dawkins
    Cortez Kennedy
    Steve Hutchinson
    Kevin Mawae
    Chris Doleman

Card Selections

Cortez Kennedy
    1990 Score Supplemental

Ed Reed
    2002 Topps Chrome

Vince
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    Come on guys - let's make a push to elect Jason Taylor....

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Cortez Kennedy
    1990 Score Supplemental

Ed Reed
    2002 Topps Chrome

• Options

<< <i>Cortez Kennedy
    1990 Score Supplemental

Ed Reed
    2002 Topps Chrome >>

I forgot to vote for the cards. Ditto this.
  • Options
    Card Vote:
    Cortez Kennedy
    1990 Score Supplemental

Ed Reed
    2002 Topps Chrome

David (Superdave)
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

My Votes:

ADD:
    Ed Reed
    Charles Haley
    Brian Dawkins
    Cortez Kennedy
    Chris Doleman
    Kevin Mawae

Card Votes:
    Cortez Kennedy
    1990 Score Supplemental