Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1986 Topps Baseball Official Thread

124»

Comments

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are the Brett and Ripken 10's available? If so, PM me with a price please. >>

Unfortunately not. I've sold them in the last 2 weeks. I do have a few more 86s at PSA now.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    BasherBoyBasherBoy Posts: 510 ✭✭
    Not building this set, mostly a team set collector. I've always liked this set though, it was one I built raw as a child. My question is, does anybody have any PSA graded Indians from this set? Any help would be appreciated. Ideally like to find 9-10 but would take 8's if they are cheap image

1986 Topps Indians
    #9 Roy Smith
    #31 Jamie Easterly
    #59 Andre Thornton
    #86 Tom Waddell
    #116 Brook Jacoby
    #136 Mike Hargrove
    #149 Brett Butler
    #172 Jerry Reed
    #208 Ramon Romero
    #242 Rich Thompson
    #273 Jerry Willard
    #283 Mike Fischlin
    #303 Curt Wardle
    #354 Tony Bernazard
    #377 Joe Carter
    #391 Julio Franco
    #483 George Vukovich
    #509 Ernie Camacho
    #542 Don Schulze
    #567 Jeff Barkley
    #594 Chris Bando
    #632 Dave Von Ohlen
    #647 Mel Hall
    #674 Pat Tabler
    #699 Pat Corrales MG
    #768 Vern Ruhle
    #1T Andy Allanson
    #5T Scott Bailes
    #18T Tom Candiotti
    #21T Carmen Castillo
    #77T Phil Niekro
    #80T Otis Nixon
    #100T Ken Schrom
    Need PSA Indians/Browns
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    BasherBoy,

I have the Tom Waddell in an 8. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Mike
  • Options
    pm sent Mike, thanks.
    Need PSA Indians/Browns
  • Options
    sent ya another PM Mike, thanks!

anybody else have any graded Indians??
    Need PSA Indians/Browns
  • Options
    Dunno if anybody can use these, but I have them available from 86 would love to trade for some Indians I need.

#118 JERRY ROYSTER PSA 10
    #141A CHUCK COTTIER PSA 9 (no 10's)
    #166 DICKIE THON PSA 10
    #176 JAY TIBBS PSA 10
    #178 IVAN DeJESUS PSA 10
    #216 A's LEADERS PSA 10
    #246 PHILLIES LEADERS PSA 10
    #258 TIM BURKE PSA 10
    #263 CHECKLIST 133-264 PSA 10
    #298 CRAIG REYNOLDS PSA 10
    #336 INDIANS LEADERS PSA 10
    #404 FRANK ROBINSON TURN BACK THE CLOCK PSA 10
    #456 BRAVES LEADERS PSA 10
    #108T DANNY TARTABULL PSA 9
    Need PSA Indians/Browns
  • Options
    I had considered this as my first PSA set to tackle since I had a vending case I’ve been lugging around for the last few decades but after reading this thread I take it I need at least a pallet of vending cases to come up with enough cards decent set. Has anyone had any luck breaking factory sets? I was thinking the quality control might have been better on those.

Joe
  • Options
    Got two Ryno's last night, both nice and centered and one with a tiny ink spot on the hat and one with a tiny black smuge on the letters...I'll scan them in so you all can tell me how crappy they are. I got the ink spot one from a cello box and the other out of a factory set. Both gave me a slew of what I feel are great common cards to grade at 8+ and a few HoFers that might be 10's Pucket, Gwynn and Henderson. The Ryan's are both off center, witch is disappointing.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Funny I saw this thread. Just got back into the registry. If someone is looking for a diamond in the rough I have commons if anyone wants them. I know I have 3 or 4 vending boxes I would give away, would just ask to cover the cost of shipping. Shoot PM if interested, I would have to dig them out.

To add to that I am forever on the search for Sandberg in a 10 from this series. I have subbed numerous cards years ago but have only been able to muster up a 9 and the rest 8's
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just received in trade from BBCE 2 cases of 1986 Topps baseball rakpaks, So with these 6 boxes/2 cases, that gives me a total of 4 cases of rakpaks to go through.

Been really busy with work and such. As soon as I find the time, I will be ripping these for card submissions. Wish me luck.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Good luck sir!

I opened about 100 racks a while back and found about 25 cards that were worth subbing. Two 10's came back. The rest 9's and a few 8's. Tough tough task. But fun.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I haven't seen any updates on this thread in a month. Anyone sub any 10's? I stumbled across this thread after I got back to the Sandberg registry and now this set has me amazed with the lack of high grade cards. I now find myself searching ebay constantantly or this year.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

Al
  • Options
    Started working my 86's for submission from a few sets and a case of vending boxes and I wanted to ask about the Nolan Ryan-100 Jim Clancy-412 mentioned on the registery...is that just a wrong backed card? You will find it in the POP at the very bottom with N/A for number (under the '87 Spring Feaver BB Entry Card).

Thanks

And yes this set is a monster but I think finishing it in a full 10 will one day be accomplished.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭
    I recently sent in around 100 cards from vending that I opened. Many of the cards were not grading material. Out of two cases of vending I have 3000 that are worthy of grading. My results from the 100 cards that was submitted was 55 PSA 9's and 24 PSA 10's. The rest were PSA 8's which were only sent in because they were star cards. If you have any interest in the PSA 9's and 8's let me know. If you want the raw cards which are perfectly centered and mint condition, I would be interested in moving these as well. Although my success was very high I don't think I will be making a set of these.
    I do have some PSA 10's that I would let go of too but only the doubles.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options

Al
  • Options
    As time goes on, I realize how tough this set is. All you case and rack busters... if you have any Red Sox commons floating around that may be worth grading, I need McNamara, Armas, Sax, Miller, Lyons, Guttierrez, Kison, Barrett, Hurst & Buckner. Can't tell you how many 8's I've been sent back from PSA of these. Let me know if you can help out. Thanks!
    Positive Transactions:
    Stooge
    jamesgotpoorman
    calaban7
    ddfamf
    theczar
    ShootyBabitt
    hoopguru33

Always looking for:

1960-present Topps Red Sox in PSA 9+
    Topps All-Star Rookies in PSA 9+
    Dennis Eckersley PSA 10's
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Great results to get so many 10's Shane -- it's a super tough year.

Al -- what's the backstory on your 1986 Topps #1 Rose that has "1B-Mgr" in black font in a white circle? I've never seen that before, nor was aware of its existence. Is it a variation..?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    MikeSchmidt- I think that Pete Rose card may be a box bottom card from 86 Topps wax boxes
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Marc-Fab is right, it is a box panel cut

Al
  • Options
    PSA grades those box panel cards. Tough to find in gradeable condition. Really tough to get a 10. I think I recently saw a PSA Walter Payton cut PSA 10 go for over $175
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    Just got back into collecting when I found three 86 topps wax boxes a few months ago. It was an eye opening experience for sure. I got nothing I thought was even close to gradeable. I did buy a 10 and 9 lou whitaker and chet lemon and they weren't as great as I thought so maybe I'll look through them again. I'll still get some unopened material as I find deals. I think this set's time will come. Most of the HOFers from prior years are in this set and unopened is still a fraction of the cost of even 84 and 85 topps.

On a side note I got a 3 box rack case of 87 topps with similar results. I thought this set would be much easier than 86. Lots of fuzz on the corners to go along with the usual quality issues. I did set aside a few bo jackson cards but they all have the wood grain slightly bleeding into the royals logo at 8 o'clock. Not sure if that's a big deal.
  • Options
    I found the same problem with the 87's (fuzz on the corners) and it is harder to tell on the 87's then 86's. Working though a vending case of both years and I found more gradeable cards in one vending pack then I have in 4 boxes of each broke so far.
  • Options

<< <i>I found the same problem with the 87's (fuzz on the corners) and it is harder to tell on the 87's then 86's. Working though a vending case of both years and I found more gradeable cards in one vending pack then I have in 4 boxes of each broke so far. >>

RACK PACK NOT VENDING.
  • Options
    Bought a couple of 86 Topps rack boxes. Decent value at $53 for the pair with the shipping. My only experience with finding cards to grade are through factory sets which were *ok*. A couple of rack packs I bought a year ago yielded some nice specimens so I'm wondering if this is a good way to go. May be awhile before I get them graded, but I'll keep you folks posted. Here's to the ongoing quest of locating a PSA 10 Glenn Hoffman, Dave Sax or Jackie Gutierrez.

Anyone have any PITA cards I should be looking out for?
    Positive Transactions:
    Stooge
    jamesgotpoorman
    calaban7
    ddfamf
    theczar
    ShootyBabitt
    hoopguru33

Always looking for:

• Options
    Fun Fact: There are 70 cards in this set that have no PSA 10's

The card most submitted without a PSA 10 example? Shawon Dunston #72 (18 submissions)

Rec'd my rack packs today and opened one. Not too bad and there were a couple of nicely centered stars on top. Have my checklist of low pops. Clearing off the dining room table tonight... keep ya posted.
    Positive Transactions:
    Stooge
    jamesgotpoorman
    calaban7
    ddfamf
    theczar
    ShootyBabitt
    hoopguru33

Always looking for:

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Sandberg is tough.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>Fun Fact: There are 70 cards in this set that have no PSA 10's

The card most submitted without a PSA 10 example? Shawon Dunston #72 (18 submissions)

Rec'd my rack packs today and opened one. Not too bad and there were a couple of nicely centered stars on top. Have my checklist of low pops. Clearing off the dining room table tonight... keep ya posted. >>

Think a few of those Dunston's are mine...got another one in right now. That is a very hard card...as of course is the Sandburg. I've got nothing but 8's on those two so far...
  • Options
    I found myself with extra time on my hands and the 86 Topps Baseball set on my mind, so I thought I'd put together something for our friends at PSA to put in SMR. You might notice there is now a fairly extensive list of key cards and what I believe to be accurate values online now. Also pointed out the recent Ryno PSA 10 sale and that Eric Davis PSA 10 sale last month. Hopefully this will give a little more recognition to my favorite 80's set...

Feel free to give me some feedback if you are so inclined.

In other news, I did rip those 2 rack cases and I think I got a few nice Mattinglys and a potential Ryan, but as it stands I've never had a card from this set come back a 10, so I'm not holding my breath. I'll be subbing with the October special (I hope)

Positive Transactions:
    Stooge
    jamesgotpoorman
    calaban7
    ddfamf
    theczar
    ShootyBabitt
    hoopguru33

Always looking for:

• Options
    That SHAWON DUNSTON I pulled from a rack pack came back a 8...made me happy enough. I've never popped a 10 on all my subs on this set either....good luck!
  • Options
    ABellPharmDABellPharmD Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

Struggling hard to find a grade worthy Ray Miller Twins MGR. Anyone have anything they'd be willing to part with?

I collect Cal Ripken cards, T206, E95, E210, R319.
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Wil check. Tough card. Sandburg too.