Home Metal Detecting
Options

If the rest of this year is like the last two days...

I'll be extremely happy with my detecting experiences. I went out yesterday and managed to find a silver coin--1950D Rosie and a silver ring with CZ's. My wife has claimed the ring even with the CZ's. She's so loving and could care less if it's real or not. The item holding the ring was found last year--I think it's part of a musical instrument--not really sure.

And today was another adventure. I had a decent day with the amount of coins--48 I think--for the area I was hunting. Close to the end of the hunt, I got a 50C/$1 reading and it was jumping around something fierce. The GTI2500 said coin size at 7 to 8 inches. The ground was as hard as could be at that location and I was about to give up when out popped a beauty. I thought it was just a silver ring to begin with but I couldn't see anything on the inside as it had a raised area inside the band. After I got home, I found out that someone had made a coin ring out of a 1963 Washington quarter.

If you look closely, you can just make out quarter dollar on the inside of the band. I've seen some folks on other boards who make these often. This is the first one that I have found and I love it. I'm faced with a dilemna though--do I count this as a ring or a silver coin? I'm thinking silver coin--what say everyone else?

Happy hunting all!!!
Speer34

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    Nice start for the year. WTG!
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    Silver! Yummy!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Hi-Ho silver. Off to a very good 2009 - Congratulations. I tried to get out a bit today, but the ground here is frozen solid. Need a warm snap for a couple of days to do any digging.
    -Joe

-Weinman Fan
  • Options
    The coin ring is neat. My step Dad use to make those with silver coins using a spoon and tapping the edge until you get a ring edge. Then he would drill out the middle and file it smooth on the inside. He use to do it so that the date could be seen and some of the design. I've seen them sold on ebay and believe they are still being made today. I've read during WW 2 soldiers would make them for loved ones while on ships going overseas. It was so popular that the ship's captian ask them to stop for fear of submarines hearing all the tapping.
    el Tesoro Cazador
    Digging trash and treasure since 1977
  • Options
    Nice finds. The ring is very cool.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Those rings were also popular during Vietnam. My dad made one there.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    I would count the coin ring as both since it really qualifies as a coin and certainly a ring as well. It's always nice to make someone happy by sharing some of your detecting finds. It enables us to pass along some of the pleasure that we derive from this hobby. Great start to hopefully an exciting, if not prosperous year of metal detecting for you. Nice job Scott!

Crispy

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are on a roll.. congratulations... Cheers, RickO