Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did old cardboard 2x2's help-along the toning process?

Did old cardboard 2x2's help-along the toning process? I often hear how some coins obtain there great toning due to the fact that they were stored in old National Coin Albums, and W.Redman Albums(?). Did old cardboard 2x2's have a similiar effect?

While I'm thinking of old 2x2's anyone have any pictures of coins with PVC damage due to these?

Comments

• Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    No
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no

no

HNY

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Another no.
    Coins had a good chance to stay white in 2x2s.
    Ive had some for almost 40 years.
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    If the windows tore, or sometimes gases would seep in from a bad staple job, but otherwise coin never touches cardboard, just the cellophane or mylar.

I've scratched a couple coins because of those !@#$ staples though.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    If there's any hole in the cello it can make the coin get a toning spot.

Not sure I'd call it "helping" image
    Ed
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Not that I’m aware of, but I do know that if the staples were to close to the coin circle and they rusted, yeah they had a detrimental effect of the coin, not a positive one!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins that touched the chemicals in albums are the ones which toned. Ie., I have a Seated $ which looks like it was stored in a Wayte Raymond album for a long time and has attractive toning. If a coin was stored in the 2 by 2s and was NOT near a staple & not touching the cardboard, I don't think it toned at all. I've kept some coins in these for 40 years and haven't noticed any toning changes whatsoever.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the windows tore, or sometimes gases would seep in from a bad staple job, but otherwise coin never touches cardboard, just the cellophane or mylar.

I've scratched a couple coins because of those !@#$ staples though. >>

Hopefully, by now, you've learned the proper technique for removing coins from "stapled" 2x2's? Right?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If the windows tore, or sometimes gases would seep in from a bad staple job, but otherwise coin never touches cardboard, just the cellophane or mylar.

I've scratched a couple coins because of those !@#$ staples though. >>

Hopefully, by now, you've learned the proper technique for removing coins from "stapled" 2x2's? Right? >>

The best way to avoid a staple scratch is to pierce the cello along the edge of the coin with a toothpick and remove the coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file