Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do YOU remember seeing your first Memorial cent as a 'kid' collector?

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
I certainly do. There was a little store up the street from my house, Billy Breders Store. You could see it from my front door and in those days a kid could do more things. I would have been five, maybe six years old. I remember thinking how neat it was to see lincoln sitting inside the building, and showing the penny to my mom.

Comments

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I do, and I thought the design sucked.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I immediately bent over and upchucked. I musta been 8 and a half. image
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Dim memories, yes. I remember that cents used to have wheat ears on the back, although I doubt I knew that's what they were. Then one day I noticed a new reverse.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i overlooked them as it was all about the wheaties...boy the dates that could be foundimage
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't a kid "collector" at the time but I recall oo-ing and ah-ing over them.

I think the collecting thing started after that, probably in late 1960.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    At the time, 1959, there was a rumor going around that there was a crack on Lincoln's head, up near his temple on some of the coins. We searched roll after roll from the Post Office (trading in one roll for another, .50 was a big investment back then) but never found a single cracked skull coin. Years later after not a one showed up, I found out it was nothing but a rumor. But I still had fun...and those 1959 cents sure were shiny!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a couple of bucks worth but never looked at them. I was 13 and had my mind elsewhere.

I finally got around to opening them in my mid twenties. Turns out 3 rolls were 58's and only one was a 59. They
    were all heads/heads rolls! Boy was I surprised. Don't know what I did with the wheaties but I do still
    have the 59 roll.

Kept the wrong ones it seems. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure... I was born in 1987 image

Actually, I suppose I remember the coin before I cared about collecting...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I was 23. Then, locally nickels were 1/3 buffalo and 1/3 silver war nicks.
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    I just introduced my brother-in-law to the Lincoln Memorial this month. I used a Lincoln cent to introduce the actual memorial.
  • Options

<< <i>Sure... I was born in 1987 image

Actually, I suppose I remember the coin before I cared about collecting... >>

lol, as was I image
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I was born in 1984. They've always just "been" for me. But, I've also always been familiar with the wheat cents, because my family pulled and saved several hundred of them through the years. Now I have them all. PLUS a nearly complete year-mint mark set of Memorial cents. All of which were pulled from circulation! I've never paid any money for one yet, though I have purchased several wheat cents.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    I was in high school, and the '59 Cent got me collecting Wheaties. Then Nickels, then.... and there were coins you could find in rolls that people pay big bucks for now. How about a 21-D Half, for openers? image
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was 5 when I saw my first and that's what go me started collecting coins. Got a Whitman holder for cents and started filling the holes. I have been a collector ever since.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were already out several years and called "pennies", and I never cared for them as a collectible.
  • Options
    I was collecting coins then and I remember when they came out. I didn't like the design. That was 50 years ago.
    I still don't like the design.
    Another thing, I don't like any of the designs proposed for the 2009 Cents.
    I probably won't like them 50 years from now either.

Ray
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember them changing although I was 7 in 1959. Even when I started collecting a few years later I never looked to see which reverse any "pennies" that I had were. That was simply money...I used them to acquire coins for my collection.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I sure do remember - that change spawned my collecting interests. I got one of the "new" Memorial Reverse Lincolns in change at the school cafeteria when I was 14 and my best buddy and I immediately started to accumulate as many wheat backs as we could find (which were many, of course).
    My Dad saw me sorting and otherwise enjoying my treasure-trove and one day, I was given a leather pouch of old coins (mostly IHC's, some older but well worn Wheat cents, a few Mercury dimes, an 1870 Newfoundland half dollar, and best of all - a 1837 Large cent in Fine condition!). I was hooked and have been that way off and on ever since!
    Yes, I remember the Memorial cent!
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Well I remember as a kid in the early 90's that it looked like a train car on the reverse. Thats still my impression when I look at them today image
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I was not yet born when the memorial cent came out but I do remember a time when wheaties and silver coins were commonplace in circulation. People say silver was pulled pretty quickly but I remember having no problem finding silver dimes and quarters in circulation when I started collecting around 1975/1976.
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Too young. It was already issued. Altough I don't remember the last days of pulling wheats from circulation.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember it.

I was in the 5th grade, and it was the spring of 1959. I'd seen an article about "the new cents" in the Weekly Reader which was a newspaper for elementary school kids that the teachers used as a teaching aid. I hoarded every one that I found and then lost part of my "collection" while playing baseball on the playground.

That Christmas my uncle gave me the 13 edition of The Red Book plust the two Whitman Cent holders that ran from 1909 to 1959 with blank spaces after that. I was soon going though all of the pocket change that I could find to fill in the holdes.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was born well after Wheat cents had all but disappeared. Curiously it seems like I get more of them in change now than when I was a kid, perhaps it is the Coinstar phenomenon or something. Yesterday I got a 1938 in change. Not a bad find, a 70 year old cent.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Was not yet born in 1959, but this thread got me to thinking that the SBA dollar came out 30 years ago. I do remember going to the bank with my grandfather to get one when they were first issued. Damn do I feel old. Does not seem like 30 years ago.
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭
    Wasnt born until after, but this thread reminds me of what got me actually interested in collecting, not started, but interested. It was a 76 quarter. The different design was awesome, I had only ever seen one and then I noticed the mint mark and the whole world opened up to me. It was the same day I found my first geode.

Of course, I started by collecting pennies image
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

The first memorial cent I remember was the one that had Kennedy engraved in the field.

I think it was the mid-late 60's. Maybe early seventies.

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The first memorial cent I remember was the one that had Kennedy engraved in the field.

I think it was the mid-late 60's. Maybe early seventies. >>

I think that was 1973 the JFK/Lincoln thing. I've found a few of those in circulation before.
  • Options

<< <i>Well I remember as a kid in the early 90's that it looked like a train car on the reverse. Thats still my impression when I look at them today image >>

haha, don't feel bad, when I was young and dumb (around 6 years old) I thought the Lincoln Memorial was a dumpster.
    Ya see, I would flip the coin on the vertical plane, so the memorial was upside down, forget the fact that the letters were too, I didn't seem to notice. Anyway, to me a the time an upside down memorial reminded me of a dumpster... why there was a dumpster on the back of a coin, I didn't know, nor did I have any intention of actually thinking about it.
    Then about a year later I heard someone talking about it - flipped the coin over the right way, and what do you know!? It's a building!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a lot of excitement over it and I anxiously awaited it.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well I remember as a kid in the early 90's that it looked like a train car on the reverse. Thats still my impression when I look at them today image >>

haha, don't feel bad, when I was young and dumb (around 6 years old) I thought the Lincoln Memorial was a dumpster.
    Ya see, I would flip the coin on the vertical plane, so the memorial was upside down, forget the fact that the letters were too, I didn't seem to notice. Anyway, to me a the time an upside down memorial reminded me of a dumpster... why there was a dumpster on the back of a coin, I didn't know, nor did I have any intention of actually thinking about it.
    Then about a year later I heard someone talking about it - flipped the coin over the right way, and what do you know!? It's a building! >>

same thing... except it was a balcony.. upside down, it looked like the balcony at church, didn't notice the words either
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Then about a year later I heard someone talking about it - flipped the coin over the right way, and what do you know!? It's a building! >>

same thing... except it was a balcony.. upside down, it looked like the balcony at church, didn't notice the words either >>

Well, I thought that it was some sort of ladder laying on its side. I had a red toy firetruck with a ladder on the side so when I saw a red cent with that thing on the back, it sure looked like a ladder. I thought it might be somehow related to firetrucks.

While we're at it, I might as well confess that I thought that it was the same man on the nickel and the quarter, the only difference being that the guy on the quarter was naked.
  • Options

<< <i>
    While we're at it, I might as well confess that I thought that it was the same man on the nickel and the quarter, the only difference being that the guy on the quarter was naked. >>

Subliminal?

j/k image
  • Options
    Do you see any clothes on that guy on the quarter? Do you? No, you don't. He's wearing nothing but his birthday suit.
  • Options
    Well, he does have a ribbon in his hair so I guess that counts for something.
  • Options
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Yah, wanna make sumpting of it?image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Hi Bear! long time no speak image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I been hibernating some.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Same ole bear image
  • Options
    you guys are old...

i was born in 89. boy do i remember my first wheat cent though. a 1911 that a shop owner gave me when i was around 7 or 8, could have been earlier
    For those that don't know, I am starting pharmacy school in the fall. image
  • Options
    No, but I remember my first 1909 svdb that I found when I was a kid and my fathers friend who offered me $10 dollars for it and selling it to him.( actually coaxed out of it ) Yes being a child I was definately taken advantage of, not knowing what it was worth at the time. image
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I only remember when the wheats started vanishing and my first interest in coins was sorting the wheats from the memorials. I also remember when Canada 1967 cents with the bird started showing up in change (I lived in Seattle) and trading them to kids that wanted them for wheats. image
    Ed
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea why I remember this, but is clear as a bell. I was 7, riding in the front seat of our 1955 blue and white Buick (sans seat belts) as my mom was driving me home from Harding school in Santa Barbara, sometime in early 1959. She handed me a new shiny "Penny" and I got all excited about it because it was different. I couldn't wait to get rid of all my old fashioned Wheat cents and get the new ones!
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes I do, and I thought the design sucked. >>

Yup, me too.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was 11 when they came out and nobody could find any. Then a girl in our class came to school with a whole bunch of them. Several of us tried to trade Indian pennies to her for one but she wouldn't trade. I guess that ended up being a good thing for us.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes I do, and I thought the design sucked. >>

Yup, me too. >>

I thought the design was boring but greatly preferred it to the old design that I found
    both boring and uninspired. Somehow the Lincoln Memorial just seemed a lot more
    appropriate than a couple wheat stalks.

The new design did strike me as a little "busy" though.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file