Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What was your best buy of the year?

Here is my best buy of the year:

I went to a really scary Flea market in North East Philly this past spring. i was stupid carrying major cash on me, but i still walked around and was about to give up and run to my car (if it was still there), when i noticed one row of vendors i had not visited yet. I was about to leave, but instead quickly went over to check it out. A little Popeye looking guy had some massive assortment of nonsports. most was pretty beat up but he had a fantanstic stack of 70-80 ct. 1957 topps hit stars. all nearmint or better. most importantly 90% were dead centered! I bought them all for about $200 and now I will be finally sending them in January under the $6 special. Plenty of Jimmy Deans as well!

happy new year to all! raykasa

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I went to the same flea market. Didn't find any cards, but got 2 keys for 10 each.

Congrats on your find even though I know nothing about non sport.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also mentioned this story on the forum about 6 or 9 months ago when it happened, but the Musial was not yet graded at that time.

I was set up at a show sharing a table with a good friend of mine (we each had our own inventory) and on the Sunday of the show I decided to look over his stuff as we were packing up. He had a really sharp 1956 Topps Berra and a really sharp 1961 Topps Musial. All weekend for the show attendees he had been charging 40% of the high Beckett for his better stuff, so I figured he'd do a little better for me, but he didn't. He charged me $110 for both cards, and when I sent them in to be graded the Berra graded PSA 8.5 and the Musial graded PSA 8. How those cards survived a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday show without being sold is still a mystery to me.

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Nice deal Nam. Some friend won't even give you a discount! image
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    nice pick up nam

deal or not you made out nicely
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Not a huge dollar amount on these two but the percentage savings are awsome.

1964 Bobby Bell Rookie for $9.99. Normally sells for $40
    1982 Anthony Munuz Rookie for $2.38 Normally sells for $15.00
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up this Roberto Clemente PSA 7 Gray back for $300, but used the MS cash back at 30% so I really bought the card for $210 image
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I also mentioned this story on the forum about 6 or 9 months ago when it happened, but the Musial was not yet graded at that time.

I was set up at a show sharing a table with a good friend of mine (we each had our own inventory) and on the Sunday of the show I decided to look over his stuff as we were packing up. He had a really sharp 1956 Topps Berra and a really sharp 1961 Topps Musial. All weekend for the show attendees he had been charging 40% of the high Beckett for his better stuff, so I figured he'd do a little better for me, but he didn't. He charged me $110 for both cards, and when I sent them in to be graded the Berra graded PSA 8.5 and the Musial graded PSA 8. How those cards survived a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday show without being sold is still a mystery to me.

image >>

Very nice pickup Nick. Talk about the proverbial needle in the haystack.

• Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Picked this card up raw at the Reading, PA show for $45. It's the highest graded SGC Willets with the AB back. AB backs are pretty difficult to come buy in high grade. I'd estimate the value at about $300 maybe more.

imageimage

Have a happy and safe New Year everyone!

Scott

P.S. Nam....killer cards!
  • Options
    In this depressed market, came home from work in march and my wife tells me she bought a house!!!!! Paid $23,000 cash for it. done deal!
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

Wow! Is that what they look like without abunch of red lines around the edges? image The Etch-a-Sketch rules!!!
  • Options
    Picked this up for $5 Link

Raw

Slabbed

Picked this up for $6 Link

Just got the grade back a couple days ago:

1 1 15509605 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1964 TOPPS COINS 120 MICKEY MANTLE Card US

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Give me a break cubbybear...heck of a couple of pickups...I need to start searching for "punch outs" on eBay...wow.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Five of my best buy pick-ups this year where:

$415 SMR (picked up for $230)

$575 SMR (picked up for $385)

?? SMR (picked up for $125)

$220 SMR (picked up for $95)

$515 SMR (picked up for $350)
  • Options
    Big Daddy Great Pickups!
  • Options
    CubbyBear, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Give me a break cubbybear...heck of a couple of pickups...I need to start searching for "punch outs" on eBay...wow. >>

Thanks,

Every once and a while I find some super deals. Gotta make this hobby pay for itself somehow. Or I couldn't afford half of what I have.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Sweet Musial Nam!

Here is my best pickup. Picked this up for $440.00

• Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    bought a '61 Yastrzemski on ebay for $30.05 (that was my high bid, so apparently someone bid $30) and it turned into this.

Also bought a raw '60 Mantle for $98 and it turned into this

I ended up selling the Mantle on ebay for $282 and the Yaz for $280.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Best as far as most satisfaction goes would be these. I was looking for the Emmitt for a looong time and not only found it, I was able to get the whole set. They are 1992 Breyer's Bookmarks. I hate to say rare, as it is an overused term when it comes to cards but I have only seen one other Emmitt on ebay or anywhere for that matter.

The cards are not creased. I had to put them in two cardsavers due to length.

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    goyegoye Posts: 454 ✭✭
    1976 TOPPS WONDER BREAD FOOTBALL VENDING BOX 1000 CARDS

26.27 dlvd.
    1985-86 O Pee Chee PSA 910 Hockey
  • Options

<< <i>Picked this up for $5 Link

Raw

Slabbed

Picked this up for $6 Link

Just got the grade back a couple days ago:

1 1 15509605 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1964 TOPPS COINS 120 MICKEY MANTLE Card US >>

WOW! I can't believe it! The guy's feedback rating scared everyone off! NICE Banks & AWESOME Mantle!
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

Started as a redemption and the seller didn't mention Special Edition or red ink and it was a bad scan of the redemption with 5 other cards in the same scan

$40.99

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a 1910 Sweet Caporal P2 Clark Griffith PSA 7 pin for about $40 including shipping and tax. SMR is way too high on this set, but PSA 6s of Griffith and comparable players (Wallace, Bresnahan, and other low-demand HOFers) normally sell for $40-$70.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭✭
    My best buy of the year was my 1995 Score Platinum set ($60 delivered; not bad for what could very well be the only complete set in existence) and my 1993 Finest jumbo All-Stars set plus three card 1993 Finest promo set ($180 delivered).
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    best pick up by far...1969 Topps Baseball Wax Tray. Paid $2,500 for it. Gorgeous and rare piece.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miller25 beauiful Jackson. Great pick up.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Great thread. Below is my top pickup of the year (albeit not cheap by any stretch):

After I get this slabbed and assuming my JSA slabbed Henry Jordan cross over, I'll be down to 17 NFL HOF signed cards to finalize my set!

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    didn't have much to spend this year but i did get to pick up some nice 52 topps for my set from the Rube
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Not card-related, but here goes.

I love to read, so book collecting is my other passion. Usually, I'll go to the library and pick out a new author. If I like the book, I'll read everything the guy/gal has written, and if I really like author I'll collect the entire run in hardback (first edition/printing). So I'm not a huge Stephen King fan, but I started reading the Dark Tower series (7 books) and loved it (The Stand and The Green Mile are superb reads, too). Just a few days ago I was in my local used bookstore and came across the 2nd, 3rd & 4th books in the series, first edition from the original publisher, for a total of $40. The 2nd (The Drawing of the Three) consistently sells for $40+, the 3rd (The Wastelands) has been selling for $80+, while the 4th (Wizard and Glass) went for $130+ the last two times it sold. All I need to do is find the 1st one (The Gunslinger) - don't think I'm gonna track down that one for too cheap - current eBay asking price is $725+.
  • Options
    I bought a lot of 12 scorecards and a 1938 World Series guide on Ebay for $200.00. One of the scorecards was signed by Honus Wagner and KiKi Cuyler. To my surprise the World Series guide was signed on the inside by Babe Ruth.

It was the best $200.00 I've ever spent.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't really find any bargains this year but my best buy would be this card for $30 plus $10 for the autograph:

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Not a major pickup, but certanly a bizzare turn of events.
    I strolled into a local card shop a while back and picked up 1999 Ultimate Victory Josh Beckett RC for $15, sent it in for grading, and it came back as a PSA 9. Last week I sold it on ThePit.com for $85.
    Yesterday, I won a PSA 10 of the same card on Ebay for $75.

So, in the span of a week, I upgraded my card for -$10.

The irony is that buyers on ThePit.com are paying $81 for PSA 9s right now. ?!?!?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Wow, I had to search awhile to find this thread. I would have to say this auto that I picked up at a garage sale for I think $3.
  • Options

<< <i>Not a major pickup, but certanly a bizzare turn of events.
    I strolled into a local card shop a while back and picked up 1999 Ultimate Victory Josh Beckett RC for $15, sent it in for grading, and it came back as a PSA 9. Last week I sold it on ThePit.com for $85.
    Yesterday, I won a PSA 10 of the same card on Ebay for $75.

So, in the span of a week, I upgraded my card for -$10.

The irony is that buyers on ThePit.com are paying $81 for PSA 9s right now. ?!?!? >>

Remind me not to shop at ThePit.com - I'm off to the local card shop !
  • Options

<< <i>Not card-related, but here goes.

I love to read, so book collecting is my other passion. Usually, I'll go to the library and pick out a new author. If I like the book, I'll read everything the guy/gal has written, and if I really like author I'll collect the entire run in hardback (first edition/printing). So I'm not a huge Stephen King fan, but I started reading the Dark Tower series (7 books) and loved it (The Stand and The Green Mile are superb reads, too). Just a few days ago I was in my local used bookstore and came across the 2nd, 3rd & 4th books in the series, first edition from the original publisher, for a total of $40. The 2nd (The Drawing of the Three) consistently sells for $40+, the 3rd (The Wastelands) has been selling for $80+, while the 4th (Wizard and Glass) went for $130+ the last two times it sold. All I need to do is find the 1st one (The Gunslinger) - don't think I'm gonna track down that one for too cheap - current eBay asking price is $725+. >>

the dark tower series is one if not the greatest story ever told..imho
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    bjbrall4bjbrall4 Posts: 277 ✭✭
    Yesterday I received a five card lot of 2008 Heritage high number chrome cards which included the Jerry Hairston, Jr., card #285. In four eBay auctions, it's sold for $250-300; my cost, with postage, was $3.60.
  • Options
    natetrooknatetrook Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    Best buy was a 1975 Topps mini Brett RC- PSA-9
    price- $650 minus 30% Microsoft cash back, minus 10% coupon, for total of 40% off.
    net price - $390

• Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Greg, that cut is freakin' awesome! Wow!image

Robert
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I'm going with this Cyclone Taylor. It's a nicer card by far than some 4s and 5s I have of other players.

Paid $278 but this card rarely comes around. IMO it is nicer than the couple of PSA 5s listed recently with bin at $3000.

• Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    Here is what I finally got ahold of..................been wanting one for years........

1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>

<< <i>Not card-related, but here goes.

I love to read, so book collecting is my other passion. Usually, I'll go to the library and pick out a new author. If I like the book, I'll read everything the guy/gal has written, and if I really like author I'll collect the entire run in hardback (first edition/printing). So I'm not a huge Stephen King fan, but I started reading the Dark Tower series (7 books) and loved it (The Stand and The Green Mile are superb reads, too). Just a few days ago I was in my local used bookstore and came across the 2nd, 3rd & 4th books in the series, first edition from the original publisher, for a total of $40. The 2nd (The Drawing of the Three) consistently sells for $40+, the 3rd (The Wastelands) has been selling for $80+, while the 4th (Wizard and Glass) went for $130+ the last two times it sold. All I need to do is find the 1st one (The Gunslinger) - don't think I'm gonna track down that one for too cheap - current eBay asking price is $725+. >>

the dark tower series is one if not the greatest story ever told..imho >>

Agreed. That is a fantastic series! I don't know how they would do it but I would love to see a movie based on these books (even though I know it would probably suck).

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Love to have the Cyclone! Very nice score.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Greg, that cut is freakin' awesome! Wow!image

Robert >>

Thanks Robert. The print run is under 20 and it is one of the toughest cards to find in the 2002 Legendary Cuts set. I know at least a half dozen collectors actively looking for the card - so I'm thrilled to have snagged it.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>Here is what I finally got ahold of..................been wanting one for years >>

Blackie, Great Card, I assume its the one you picked up from Bobby! Thats a terrific 4. Love that card Congrats!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it is a tie between two nice 7's I picked up...

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi Mike,

great looking pair of nicely centered 62s!

congrats!

PoppaJ
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    MBmiller, yeah I got it off bobby. Was real proud to finally own one. Gonna hang on it and have it put right near my Ryan rookie. Nice to look at.........
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few of my best buys for last year.

• Options
    My stuff isn't too amazing, nor do I have any eye-popping deals to report.

Purchased raw for less than $10 (delivered), unauthenticated.

With the help of a forum member (Reese3333), I was able to get it slabbed. Thanks again man!

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    Goot that is a very awesome card.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS