Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Quiz: Which Buffalo nickels back as "questionable color"?

A two-part test from my latest PCGS submission. In each case, one of the two coins came back slabbed, the other bagged for questionable color.
First to go 2 for 2 wins!
Part One:
Coin A
imageimage

Coin B
imageimage

Part Two:
Coin A
imageimage

Coin B
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    I vote ..B & B in both parts as questionable color..image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part 1, I’ll go with coin A. Color deeply ingrained in the buffalo’s fur seems suspect.

Part 2, I’ll go with con B. Surfaces seem too shiny/reflective.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Double AA
  • Options
    The 2 that bagged were
    1. B
    2. A

Mark Piersall
    Random Collector
    www.marksmedals.com
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say the "bagged" coins were B and A, respectively.

I feel much more certain of the first choice, however.
  • Options
    double "A", bagged and tagged.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bed and Breakfast.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AB
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    AA
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    Since we've already eaten up every possible option... I'm going to say C.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    1A
    2A
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    1-A
    2-B
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    Part 1, B
    Part 2, A
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B-B
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    COIN B AND B LOOKS FUNNY TO ME!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins bagged were:

Part 1: A

Part 2: B

Thank you for the generous giveaway. For my prize, I choose:

Part 1: B

Part 2: A

BTW: shouldn't they have come back in a "genuine" holder?
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Not my series I'll go with AA
  • Options
    I'll say A and A were bagged. By the way, the 1914-s seems to have the characteristics of the 1914/3-s; most evident by the curving die crack on the bison's head and the stubby dash in front of the "4".
    Dan
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a real shame that all (4) coins didn't grade. They are all VERY nice coins!!!

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with GrandAM, and will have to excuse myself from the test. I like all of them, and regardless of the outcome of the 24D, that is a moose for that particular date!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    B & B.
    And I bet I know who toned at least the first B. The second B done by a relatively amatuer doc.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A
    part2-B

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    I say coins B AND B. The only one that is questionable to me is the 24d
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Correct answers are A and A--well done for those who nailed it!

A little background: The 1920 was in a PCGS MS64 holder and I felt it could go MS65, so I cracked it out. Ooops! This coin has now come back from NGC and PCGS with FOUR different results: MS64 (NGC), MS62 (PCGS the first time), MS64 (PCGS second time) and bagged for questionable color (this time). I am very much amused by this and am going to submit it again, just to see if I can obtain a fifth different result! It's fun, in a perverse sort of way, and well worth the economy submission fee to me.

The 1914-S was in a PCGS MS64 holder and again, I thought it was a notch better than that. Ooops again!

The 1924-D is an interesting case. It originally was in an ANACS MS64 holder, and had some spectacular color along with having an excellent strike and luster. I cracked it out in 2007, and it came back from PCGS bagged for questionable color. What to do? Dip it, of course! A nice little immersion in EZest, and it just came back MS64. I'm very happy about that.

The 1919-S, I was hoping it would come back MS64 (it was in a PCGS MS63 holder and I thought it was high end for the grade and had a shot). It came back MS63 again and I'm pleased it didn't bagged as well. It will stay in that MS63 holder for sure...

I had some satisfying results with my 22-coin submission, which I'll share at some point in the future.
    One disappointment was my prize 1913-S Type 1, which is in an NGC67 holder. I tried to cross it, and it didn't make it. But I at least had enough sense not to crack it out.
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

I had some satisfying results with my 22-coin submission, which I'll share at some point in the future.
    One disappointment was my prize 1913-S Type 1, which is in an NGC67 holder. I tried to cross it, and it didn't make it. But I at least had enough sense not to crack it out. >>

That's pretty amazing, if it's the same coin you posted a little while back it really deserved to cross, at least from the pics posted. MHO anyways.

john
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, it sounds like none of them were legit bb's, as all had been slabbed previously. So I'll stick by my original post, they are all nice coins.
    And congrats on that 24D making 64....
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    The main reason I chose AA was the splotchy red/blue toning at the bottom near the rims on both reverses. Its a shame as they certainly are market acceptable. Beautiful coins and you certainly have an eye for them.image As frist prize winner please donate a 1901 Barber quarter to clw54 in my name, thanks in advance. image
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I missed the first one (which I was more sure about) and got the second one correct.

My reasoning on the second pair was that coin B didn't have much color (now I know why!), so
    less likely to get bagged. Coin A doesn't look blatantly AT, however, so it was a tough call.

On the first pair, I can't feel too bad since coin A graded more often than not, and it looks OK
    to me.

Good post, by the way!
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had some satisfying results with my 22-coin submission, which I'll share at some point in the future.
    One disappointment was my prize 1913-S Type 1, which is in an NGC67 holder. I tried to cross it, and it didn't make it. But I at least had enough sense not to crack it out. >>

That's pretty amazing, if it's the same coin you posted a little while back it really deserved to cross, at least from the pics posted. MHO anyways.

john >>

It's difficult for me to feel badly about the 13-S. It's a very lofty grade, and one that definitely should give the graders pause before granting. I'm satisfied that they pored over it very closely before declining to cross it. I may have it reholdered by NGC, and then submit to PCGS again--the current NGC holder is pretty beat up. I do think it will cross eventually, and if it does it will be very worthwhile. It's worth significantly more in a PCGS holder.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Correct answers are A and A--well done for those who nailed it!

A little background: The 1920 was in a PCGS MS64 holder and I felt it could go MS65, so I cracked it out. Ooops! This coin has now come back from NGC and PCGS with FOUR different results: MS64 (NGC), MS62 (PCGS the first time), MS64 (PCGS second time) and bagged for questionable color (this time). I am very much amused by this and am going to submit it again, just to see if I can obtain a fifth different result! It's fun, in a perverse sort of way, and well worth the economy submission fee to me.

The 1914-S was in a PCGS MS64 holder and again, I thought it was a notch better than that. Ooops again!

The 1924-D is an interesting case. It originally was in an ANACS MS64 holder, and had some spectacular color along with having an excellent strike and luster. I cracked it out in 2007, and it came back from PCGS bagged for questionable color. What to do? Dip it, of course! A nice little immersion in EZest, and it just came back MS64. I'm very happy about that.

The 1919-S, I was hoping it would come back MS64 (it was in a PCGS MS63 holder and I thought it was high end for the grade and had a shot). It came back MS63 again and I'm pleased it didn't bagged as well. It will stay in that MS63 holder for sure...

I would have guessed A and B. Deciding between the first two coins was tough and considering the 20-P slabbed and then didn't suggest there is some disagreement in the grading room. But since the 24-D looked so obviously dipped among the second two coins, I thought for sure it had been bagged.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>Correct answers are A and A--well done for those who nailed it!
    >>

image...this is some game ..please resubmit them again so they come back to my original guess as B & B...image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    Wow. Great post. Thank you for donating all this money to the TPG's for this "experiment". If anyone still thinks that the TPG's are consistent in their grading of coins after reading this than they really like koolaid. Having said that those are some really nice Buffaloes. Nothing wrong with any of them.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Woo-hoo! I was right! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file