Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here's A Coin That Has It All....Love It....1815 Half Eagle

I was just looking through FUN Show Auction Lots and felt the need to post this.

imageimage

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins

Comments

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks good to me.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Nice coin. Dare I say that Liberty is even looking hot? Okay, no. That's the beer talking.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is a little exposed in the light area but that is likely something done to draw the details out...I am ok with that.
    THIS is a coin that I would NOT have any contention if someone called it "SUPERB".

Very nice coin, Elwood

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

Not only is it a beautiful example but it has rarity too, with only around 12 examples known.

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow. Nice coin. Dare I say that Liberty is even looking hot? Okay, no. That's the beer talking. >>

I've just sucked down 5 big cans of Guinness. Clearly, you have had at least 12.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of all of the allegorical depictions of Liberty on U.S. coinage, I consider this design to be the least flattering, and somewhat misogynistic, wether by chance or by choice of the designer.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i like it. nice coin. au58 right?
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh my, my ... what a wonderful looking capped left! And a significant rarity to boot!! image

Wow. Nice coin. Dare I say that Liberty is even looking hot? Okay, no. That's the beer talking.

but, that is a hot looking coin!

what do you think Steve? Does it break a half mil'??

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

<< <i>Of all of the allegorical depictions of Liberty on U.S. coinage, I consider this design to be the least flattering, and somewhat misogynistic, wether by chance or by choice of the designer. >>

That's a bit harsh. It doesn't look any worse than the Barber Designimage

<< <i>what do you think Steve? Does it break a half mil'?? >>

I would hope so.

Oh, it's graded MS-64

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve,

I would "value" it higher than many, many other coins (1913 Nickels, etc.), but since I don't play in that arena
    I wondered where it would fall comapritively, price-wise ... especially in what may be a somewhat slipping market
    (again, I don't play in that league, so I don't know the particulars there).

It looks to be a mostly (truely?) original near Gem. It's rarity stands alone. How many Unc's are there ... four?

The original mintage is thought to be 635, correct?

Whatever the case ... it is a superlative example. Thanks for sharing her here ...

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what a coincidence! I was just 10 minutes ago reading upstairs about the Garrett 1815 half eagle in the 1979 auction catalog

not saying this is the Garrett coin. Is this the Garrett coin? the Eliasberg? Who used to own this coin?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Baley

It is the Garrett coin.

Did you see a picture in he Catalogue? Does it look the same?

• Options
    Of course I saw the picture and yes, it looked the same (I guess) it's in b/w and color plate, so not so good, but wow what a coin.

there's a doubloon in the same Garrett sale that I spent some time reading about, too. dont spose there's one of THEM for sale too now?

• Options
    yowza! ms64. the pics just gave me the thought it had some wear
    on the high points but i am obviously wrong.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "That's a bit harsh. It doesn't look any worse than the Barber Design"

I think the Barber design is beautiful! Why do so many think otherwise??

I also like the Liberty Nickel, which is also designed by Barber.

Anyway, the 1815 IS a beautiful coin and way out of my league.
  • Options
    yowza! ms64. the pics just gave me the thought it had some wear

not necessarily wrong, the cataloguers in 1979 thought it was AU, too image

• Options

<< <i>not necessarily wrong, the cataloguers in 1979 thought it was AU, too >>

Was it really described as AU?

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin, but I'd peg it for an AU58.

Definitely over-graded and therefore, over priced...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Undoubtably a beautiful and very rare coin, but it ain't MS, judging by the pics. Looks like obvious wear on many of the highpoint areas.

'dude

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

<< <i>yowza! ms64. the pics just gave me the thought it had some wear

not necessarily wrong, the cataloguers in 1979 thought it was AU, too image >>

interesting. i normally say what i feel without being too worried if i am
    wrong.. but now more people are stating the same thing.. and it
    was considered AU back in the day based on stricter, more conservative
    grading standards.

hmm.. makes one really think, does it not?
  • Options
    Was it really described as AU?

Indeed. By none other than QDB, I believe

the color plate image

• Options
    "Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end."
  • Options

Thanks Baley!!

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was just looking through FUN Show Auction Lots and felt the need to post this.

imageimage >>

Obviously a beautiful coin and way out of my league, but there appears to be obvious wear/luster breaks on the nose/curls/cap on the obverse.
    This coin sure looks AU and not MS unless you market grade her which I do not do.
    I can't call my nice clean 2 month old car new because it looks really good.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow. Nice coin. Dare I say that Liberty is even looking hot? Okay, no. That's the beer talking. >>

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elwood, thanks for posting this 1815. Probably my all-time favorite Federal gold coin. Low original mintage, in the toughest series - - Capped Bust Half Eagles, a regular issue not struck by the "midnight minters", enough known to be super-rare, but not so few as to be unavailable (like the 1822 with 3 known, 2 owned by the gov't.). But, alas, I won't be bidding on it, as I think it will require a LOT of money to buy it, possibly over $1 million. I'll need to wait until I win the lottery to buy that coin.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    So, does anyone know, if this coin went from a raw AU55 in 1979 straight into a PCGS MS64 holder, or did it stop at any of the stops between?

AU 58, MS60, MS61, MS62, MS63...

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like it is NGC-64 rather than PCGS. Don't know if it made any stops. The only NGC pop report I have is from April 1998 with only 2 graded, one listed as AU-55 and one MS-64. An October 1997 PCGS pop report showed only one in EF-45. The October 2000 PCGS pop report added one in AU-58. The July 2007 PCGS pop report drops the 45 and has an MS-65.

The May 31-Jun2, 1999 Goldberg auction had an NGC-62 as Lot 718 at $165,000. It looks like a different one from the NGC-64 and has no pedigree listed.

I would guess the current Ex-Garrett may be the 64 listed in 1998 pop. May take someone with inside knowledge to know if it was ever in any different holder before that, but got removed from any pop listings.

Also interesting on this Ex-Garrett coin is its raw listing in the Paramount session of Auction '84 as AU-58 Obverse/Unc-60 Reverse. The cataloger said of 8 coins they had seen, it was the second finest. It sold for $79,750 there compared to $150,000 in the 1979 Garrett sale. Seems like a lot of rarities have been bringing around 5 to 10 times their late 70's to 80's prices. Will be interesting to see what it goes for if it sells.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    WinLoseWin, thank you for a great post loaded with information and insight image

interesting stuff.

• Options
    zepzep Posts: 81 ✭✭
    The 1998 pop may have been the Naftzger coin which is now pcgs 65. In those days the NGC graders were tough.
  • Options
    Looks like it did sell at $460,000.

Good point on the 1998 NGC-64 possibly being the current PCGS-65 especially since there is now a pop of 2 NGC-64's as listed with the lot description.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was a fun thread. Thanks for reporting to us "the rest of the story." I am curious if the buyer now knows he actually got an AU coin in MS sheeps clothing?
  • Options

I think this coin was the bargain of the auction.

<< <i>Undoubtably a beautiful and very rare coin, but it ain't MS, judging by the pics. Looks like obvious wear on many of the highpoint areas. >>

Many who think this coin isn't Unc. need to rethink they're grading skills.

It appeared to me to look like many Capped Bust Halves that have some minor highpoint rub, yet are still UNC.

Any rub you see isn't from circulation IMO.

• Options
    1815 is such a cool year....I can't afford that coin image
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW, NOW THAT'S A BEAUTY! I WOULD SAY IT HAS IT ALL AND THEN SOME! NICE PIECE!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definately a coin I would love to own, one of the few extremely rare coins that was not minted as a planned rarity. I never heard any more of this alleged coin 1815 Half Eagle? , probably was BS.

This design was not Reich's best effort as an engraver, but I would still like an example of the type someday.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

<< <i>I think this coin was the bargain of the auction.

<< <i>Undoubtably a beautiful and very rare coin, but it ain't MS, judging by the pics. Looks like obvious wear on many of the highpoint areas. >>

Many who think this coin isn't Unc. need to rethink they're grading skills.

It appeared to me to look like many Capped Bust Halves that have some minor highpoint rub, yet are still UNC.

Any rub you see isn't from circulation IMO. >>

---

The cataloger of this coin for Auction '84 in July 1984 (guessing it was David Akers) said a similar thing:

"(In our opinion, this coin is "uncirculated" in the sense that it has never seen actual circulation. However, the obverse does show a little rub on the highest points, what the old-timers (correctly) called "cabinet friction.")"

This still appears to be a record auction price, but I thought it might go even higher compared to other rarities with similar numbers surviving. Not many have been auctioned in the past 30 or so years. More frequent appearances might lead to more interest and higher prices, kind of like seems to have happened with 1894-S dimes; 1927-D $20's; 1838-O 50c; 1854-S $2.50 and others.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file