Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWP: Liberty Nickel - GTG and comments appreciated

The postman delivered a couple of newp's today ... and I felt inspired to take a picture of this one

the harem is growing image

Guess the grade, comment ... show yours ... whatever you like image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Comments

• Options
    MS-64, unless it's a proof. Looks pretty satiny.
  • Options
    Nice looker. Cant tell from the photo its either AU or a weak strike on the obverse. My guess is weakly struck MS64.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay we have two 64's ... no it's not a proof ... and Joe, what part appears weak to you on the obverse??

I ask because for a business strike, I am very pleased with the overall strike ... in fact I would call it above
    average, especially on the obverse

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64...
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks on par with the 64 that I have.

Nice coin.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I have to go 62 with the hairlines on the cheek. It could go as low as 58.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭
    I fail to see where the so-called weak strike is because all I see is full detail, especially in the stars.

Nice coin.

Ryan
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I fail to see where the so-called weak strike is because all I see is full detail, especially in the stars.

Nice coin.

Ryan >>

Yup! Weak strike comments had me really staring at it, but then I remembered... look at the stars.

And the stars are nice and sharp. And the strike looks pretty good. And I would guess MS63, perhaps even 64. But I ALWAYS get these things wrong.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, well ... thanks for all the replies!!

I agree it has better than average eye appeal, and so I was pleased to see the guesses higher than her grade.

In hand and from the picture I bought her from, I grade her a 61/2, with a plus for strike and skin ... a few very light
    slide marks and slightly muted luster from being in the 63 or better range ...

So I think fcloud gets the best guess from the picture award image

This one is currently in an ICG 61 holder ...

Todd - BHNC #242

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file