Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

had to show this KGB Chicken card off- thanks Ted Giannoulas!

Just got this 1979 KGB Chicken card back from Ted Giannoulas, The Famous San Diego Chicken, AKA The KGB Chicken. Ted also sent a note stating that the card was rare. Enjoy!

Comments

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    So the San Diego Chicken worked for the Kremlin ??

• Options
    KGB was/is a local radio station in San Diego. But you didn't get under my feathers image
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    i trafficked KGB in college...

but that was then ^ this is now.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> KGB was/is a local radio station in San Diego. But you didn't get under my feathers >>

Wasn't that known as "The Mighty 690"?? I remember listening to the Padres games with Jerry Coleman...We always got good reception in the SF Valley. I remember one time we caught a Padre game all the way up in Tahoe.

Brian
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty cool, I'll have to get a "Chicken" autographed card for my collection. That guy was greatness. My dad took me one time to see him at a Texas Rangers game at Arlington Stadium in the early 80's, I remember being much more excited to see the Chicken then I was to see the Rangers that night. Good memories.

Mike

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    image Hey Mike, That chicken should sign for freeimage
  • Options
    The Famous San Diego Chicken. I remember going to many San Diego Padres games and whenever Ted Giannoulas (The Chicken) came out he was always greeted with alot of excitement. Whether the Padres were winning or losing Ted was there to entertain the crowds. Good Times.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    Wasn't that known as "The Mighty 690"??

No. 101.5 KGB FM was a Rock station in the 70s - now. The Chicken was originally their mascot. He ended up performing at Padres games. He won his freedom from the radio station in 1981 and became the San Diego Chicken or The Famous Chicken.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A funny episode occured in the mid-1970's when the Russian National Hockey Team was in San Diego to play the Gulls in an exhibition game. The KGB Chicken almost caused an international incident when he made his appearance. Some last-minute diplomacy was needed to convince the Russians that he wasn't mocking the Russian KGBimage

Steve
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    He has great handwriting.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    For a chicken.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He has great handwriting. >>

Mud, chickens have hands? image
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A funny episode occured in the mid-1970's when the Russian National Hockey Team was in San Diego to play the Gulls in an exhibition game. The KGB Chicken almost caused an international incident when he made his appearance. Some last-minute diplomacy was needed to convince the Russians that he wasn't mocking the Russian KGB >>

Great story! (Though I'm sure Vladimir Putin would not find humor in it even 30 years after the fact.)

BTW, was that card produced on its own or was it part of a Padres team set a la the 1978 and 1979 Family Fun sets?
  • Options
    The card is from the 1979 Family Fun Center/Dean's Set. The card has perforations as it was part of a sheet of 6 cards and 2 coupons. Not a common set by any means. When I scan it I cropped it a little close so you cannot see the perforations.