Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

54 hank Aaron Does this look Legit?

Good day,
Does this card look legit, or How Many red Flags are there?
Neil

Auction # 110331207013
Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neil's resolution for 2009 is to promise to learn how to link.

It's pretty easy Neil
  • Options
    I would not touch it....okay, maybe I would touch it...just not purchase it.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little slow with the link for being the poster of the year. image
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A little slow with the link for being the poster of the year. image >>

If I wasn't being such a nice guy, taking the time to link the two pics as well, it would have been no contest.

Till we meet again.......muwahaha
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Fake, it looks to bright
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi Neil,

one of the best RED flags out there is this one: "I don't collect cards .....".

Also, there are too many grammar errors throughout the description, which might not be of any significance; it just irks me ...

"Up for your consideration (it) this possible HIGH GRADE Hank Aaron RC. I don't collect cards, so (here your chance) to own a piece of American Baseball History
    The card has not been graded but I'm sure it (will a) nice addition to anyone's card collection."

As already mentioned, the card looks fake ... almost too bright and white.

No return on this card .... even though PayPal would probably not fight a SNAD since he makes no claim to it being a reprint and he's listed it under the vintage 1954 category. He even filled in the "items specifics" area describing the card as vintage. Nevertheless, a RED flag.

I'd stay away .... especially since it's now over $500!

JMHO,
    PoppaJ
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Question: Can you guarantee the authenticity of this card?...

Reply:

Dear swartz1,

I sure can! The card is orig. and has not been trimmed. I would like to keep it but times are tight. Thanks for your interest.

Dustin

- factoryboxdeals

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>Question: Can you guarantee the authenticity of this card?...

Reply:

Dear swartz1,

I sure can! The card is orig. and has not been trimmed. I would like to keep it but times are tight. Thanks for your interest.

Dustin

- factoryboxdeals >>

//////////////////

That's good enough for me .... I'll take it! image

p.s. RED FLAG!
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an 8 o/c.
  • Options
    The bottum looks trimmed. IMO
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Question: Can you guarantee the authenticity of this card?...

Reply:

Dear swartz1,

Dustin

- factoryboxdeals
    >>

OK, if he's not a card collector, how would he really know the term and significance of the word, "trimmed" ? image

I just sent him a list of questions. I'll post his replies when I get his answer.

Brian
  • Options
    Most the time when the guy says he is not a collector, the card is a reprint. It is just a sayin to throw us off
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    At 500.00 it no longer IMO is a bargain. The risks now outweigh the possible rewards.

A card like that should be bought after it is in a TOP TIER grading company's slab.

It is possible the card is legit by why take a chance? It is not like the card is rare or anything.

I don't think the brightness is proof of it being a reprint. I think the scanner setting is doing that.

In any event, I'd pass on it. Why even bother with a headache that will surely follow?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raw cards like this may be OK to take a chance on if you can steal them. Like Steve already said this is no longer a bargain. I would not take the chance at that price.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I sent a question to the seller and here is what he said.

Dear factoryboxdeals,

Hi, I would like to bid on this card, but I have a few questions first. I was wondering how long you have had the card and where it came from? I'm wondering because it's very likely and possibly not authentic. I'm not saying you are aware, but I would like some input.

Thanks in advance,
    brian

Brian
    First let me say that I am not a collector of cards, but I did buy a few a few years ago on a whim at an Estate Auction in my area, which is N.C. At the time I was looking at other things to buy and resell here, but this card along with others were available for pucrhase that day. I did get a few sets and complete cases and unopened boxes. This lot also included a 2003 Topps Hearitage RealOne Autograph Hank Aaron RC reprint(BLUE INK), which will also be for sale soon. Only about 300 of those exist and almost never see them on EBAY. Back to your questions though. You are right that it is "possibly not authentic", but given the location of purchase by me and the previous owner, I have no doubt in my mind that it is orig. If I were a collector I would possibly have the card graded and keep it for personal use, but as I said I am not and here it is. By all means if you feel that the card is not authentic or have any reservation about it, please don't bid. Hope this helps. Dustin