Home Sports Talk
Options

Mangini Fired

Story

Eric Mangini is out as head coach of the New York Jets a day after the team lost for the fourth time in five games and failed to make the playoffs.

The clincher was the Jets' 24-17 loss to Miami on Sunday that gave the Dolphins the AFC East title.

"We don't take this decision lightly," Jets owner Woody Johnson said at a Monday morning news conference. "We respect Eric for what he's done but we want to build on the successful foundation he has laid."

Mangini, 37, was 23-26 in three seasons with the Jets, including 0-1 in the playoffs.

"For the current New York Jets organization, we've made the decision to move on," Johnson said. "It's a judgment call."

The Jets acquired Brett Favre before the season started and ran off to an 8-3 start. But losses to Denver, at San Francisco, at Seattle and to Miami over the final four weeks left New York outside of the playoffs for the second straight season.

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said Monday the organization wants the 39-year-old Favre to return for 2009 and fulfill the final year of his contract.

Comments

• Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    I wonder were he will go next?
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder were he will go next? >>

Detroit, Cleveland, Seattle, Cincinatti, Kansas City the list seems endless.

if not a head coach than maybe as an assistant coach.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i'm sure he'll go somewhere and come back and bite the jets in the butt sooner or later. it wasn't all his fault he didn't throw 3 ints.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>i'm sure he'll go somewhere and come back and bite the jets in the butt sooner or later. it wasn't all his fault he didn't throw 3 ints. >>

I have to agree. He's not a bad coach although I haven't seen the Mangenious quality for some time. While he didn't show much imagination down the stretch it's hard to win when your QB insists on throwing mindless bombs all day that have INT written all over the ball.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Mangini would be VERY lucky to get another NFL job right now. I know everyone in the league secretly snickered when he coughed up information that helped hurt the Patriots organization/dynasty, but if they really think about it, why would any team hire a rat like that. Wouldn't it at least cross your mind that if he gave up company secrets before that he's likely to do it again to YOUR team? The guy is a P.o.S. and I wish him no success at all in the future.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    So much for the "ManGenius" nickname that Tony Soprano gave him.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder were he will go next? >>

Detroit, Cleveland, Seattle, Cincinatti, Kansas City the list seems endless.

if not a head coach than maybe as an assistant coach. >>

Do you really think the Chiefs will hire another ex-Jets head coach?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    The correct move would have been to fire Favre. 1 TD and 7 INT in his last 5 games?!? How is is Mangini's fault that
    Brett tosses it up for grabs anytime an oppsing player gets within 3 feet of him?
  • Options

<< <i>The correct move would have been to fire Favre. 1 TD and 7 INT in his last 5 games?!? How is is Mangini's fault that
    Brett tosses it up for grabs anytime an oppsing player gets within 3 feet of him? >>

2 TDs and 9 INTs in 5 games, but who's counting? image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mangini was obviously overwhelmed as an NFL head coach, and even seemed to be wanting to just be a D-coordinator by the end of the year. The team showed no fire, passion or urgency down the stretch even as their season was swirling down the bowl. This was a good move and the only move the Jets could make as even many players had lost faith in him.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Speaking of "no fire, passion, or urgency."
    Did you hear the audio they had of Favre in the huddle before the game, trying to psych the team up?
    It was something to the effect of, "all that matters is that we go out there and do our best..." and a bunch
    of other indifferent comments. What the f ever happened to let's go kick some ass and win!!??
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Again.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    who will the browns get now
    sky
    The Sky Pilot

• Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Mangenius
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    it's funny that when he was with the jets the comment was made that the QB was throwing mindless bombs all day that led to INTs and with the Browns there QBs were usually only throwing 2 yard passes when 3 yards were needed....don't get down on me for the comment but I've been a Browns fan all my life, including being a season ticket holder for nine years, which I got rid of this year and that is what I saw too much of over the last few years. al.
  • Options
    After having 5 head coaches in the last 13 years, have the Browns management ever thought there was something else wrong with the team besides coaching?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if RonBurgundy still thinks the "Mangenius" was a steal, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>After having 5 head coaches in the last 13 years, have the Browns management ever thought there was something else wrong with the team besides coaching? >>

I certainly dont blame the head coach. Same with the Lions franchise. Its poorly run organization. Wasnt the case when Modell was in charge.

How can you man-handle both the Patriots and saints, and lose to everyone else? Odd.
  • Options
    Mangini did the right thing and he cashed in two good contracts. Now he can go back to being a coordinator.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If only the Browns could get a coach like they have in New England. image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>If only the Browns could get a coach like they have in New England. image >>

Or a QB like Brady.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else notice that the Browns will have to pay THREE head coaches in 2011? Crennel is still getting paid through 2011, and Mangini will get paid through 2012. Way to go Brownies!! Now would be a great time to invest in Browns season tickets by the way, I hear they're going for really cheap!
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone else notice that the Browns will have to pay THREE head coaches in 2011? Crennel is still getting paid through 2011, and Mangini will get paid through 2012. Way to go Brownies!! Now would be a great time to invest in Browns season tickets by the way, I hear they're going for really cheap! >>

unfortunately so are Cavs and Indians tickets....about the only thing worth rooting for nowadays is Cleveland State.....not a good time for us Clevelanders.

al.
  • Options

<< <i>If only the Browns could get a coach like they have in New England. image >>

I do think BB is the best HC/GM in the NFL. I also think much of his success is tied to #12.
  • Options

<< <i>

I do think BB is the best HC/GM in the NFL. I also think much of his success is tied to #12. >>

Indeed. BB didnt win anything while in cleveland.
  • Options
    I think he has grown from his experience in Cleveland and has become a much better HC.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mangini did the right thing and he cashed in two good contracts. Now he can go back to being a coordinator. >>

I don't think anyone would want him as a coordinator either. Even if you dismiss his failures as a HC and the 'rat' factor, would you forget that he's also got a history of walking out on you if a better position turns up *AND* try and take some of your personnel with him? I think he's done in professional football actually.
  • Options
    AthenaAthena Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    I wish we had reason to believe the Browns will do well sooner rather than later image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mangini did the right thing and he cashed in two good contracts. Now he can go back to being a coordinator. >>

I don't think anyone would want him as a coordinator either. Even if you dismiss his failures as a HC and the 'rat' factor, would you forget that he's also got a history of walking out on you if a better position turns up *AND* try and take some of your personnel with him? I think he's done in professional football actually. >>

You might be right, but it seems like they always gets recycled and show up somewhere.