Home Metal Detecting
Options

"Hot" Ground

Anybody ever detect in what I've read is called "hot" ground? I think my yard is like that. We moved in here in 1995 and at the time I tried detecting with my old Whites Coinmaster, but there's so much iron in the soil (I guess) that I got incredibly erratic responses and didn't seem to be able to adjust the machine for any depth at all. I just got a Bounty Hunter Landstar machine for Christmas and was hoping the "ground track" would be helpful. It is, but I'm still getting very erratic responses. For example, in DESC mode I'll get a nice sounding blip, that then changes to an iron "blonk" and then to a pull tab. I buried a 1981 lincoln cent at about 3" and have difficulty detecting it ... I can get it pretty well in All Metal mode, but even then the signal keeps changing a lot due, I assume, to the soil conditions. Anybody else ever experience this? I'm sure I'll be able to get beter at detecting in my yard once the weather warms up in spring.

I used to MD a LOT back when I lived in Texas, but here in this house in Maryland it's frustrating. My house was built around 1900, and there was a house here back at least as far as 1790 before this one was built. The church directly across the street from me was built in 1855. So I'd love to check my yard out!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.. sounds like prime detecting sites... except for the ground condition. I would consult some experts on this issue. Either a special detector or a fully programmable unit (like the DFX) may be necessary... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody ever detect in what I've read is called "hot" ground?

I wouldn't think that ground in MD would typically be "hot" with "ferrousity." Did i just invent a new word?image

My suggestion would be to go down the block aways and ask another homeowner if you can run your detector over his yard. It may be that your yard is an anomaly. If you get the same kind of response from the detector in another yard, then that pretty much rules out your yard being an anomaly. You could conclude that the ground is the same in other yards around you, in other words.

There is a possibility that the detector is malfunctioning, hopefully,only temporarily.I have a Landstar that will occasionally act erratically.

Make sure your batteries are good. Both 9 volt batteries this machine uses need to read 7.5 volts or more.Discard batteries that read below 7.5 volts.It is best to replace the batteries in pairs.Use quality (like Duracell Coppertop) alkaline batteries only. Batteries for your Landstar is no place to go "on the cheap." I always carry a fresh pair with me on my outings.It seems like 16-20 hours is about tops for operating the Landstar before batteries need replacement.One should be able to get max battery use by turning the machine off while digging a target.

My Landstar has acted erratically if it gets too cold. I have left it overnight in my vehicle when it has gotten down into the '30's overnight and notice that it has problem being stable when i try to use it next day.This could be from the batteries getting too cold along with the electronics of the detector.It may be that the Landstar is especially sensitive to ambient temperature changes so keep this in mind.Keep your detector in your house rather than a cold garage or vehicle to minimize the possibility that the machine is acting erratically because it's too cold.

Okay.Your machine is not too cold and batteries are known to be good and machine still acting erratically.It may be that your Landstar is defective "off the shelf" and you'll need to take advantage of the warranty.

I have attempted to work an area with my Landstar where a train depot once stood and have been frustrated by the large amount of ferrous metal pieces in the ground at this site. It's as if the machine is overwhelmed by too much metal in the ground. I paid very little for my Landstar, buying it used and am,for the most part,very happy with it.The Landstar discriminator beats my old White's machine's (from the '70's which i no longer have) discriminator hands down. It's amazing what a few years of technology advances will bring you.

In the discriminator mode at the train depot site, i have gotten solid "Quarter" indications only to dig a piece of junk metal.Is it worth it to me to spend $1000 or so for a machine that might work better at a site like the depot? For me,probably not.

The Landstar is pretty good on depth and the discriminator is decent.Pinpointing seems to be an issue so extra patience is needed here.I suggest carefully probing for the target (if the ground lends itself to this,that is) to cut down on time spent with individual targets of interest.

Hope this helps and good luck to you.Your yard must have at least a few cool items just waiting for you to find!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Thanks, Guys!

Since I've had similar problems with two separate detectors I'll assume the Landstar isn't malfunctioning, but I will keep that in mind as a possibility. I'll get some fresh alkaline batteries and check the voltage on them and try again ... IF it ever warms up out here! I don't think I'll ever get used to the cold weather up here ...

I also had planned to try another location to see if there is a difference. That'll have to wait a while unfortunately ... but I'll let you know how it goes. I do appreciate the replies.