Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pop Weaver Still Sucks but I have a new job!!!

I have been looking for a new job for 1.5 years and finally found a good fit I think. I will know sometime next week. I work in the food industry and already have turned down Coca Cola and Cadbury due to life and work conflicts. I now have an opportunity to be the 2nd scientist hired for the new R&D center for Pop Weaver popcorn. They also make all the confectionaries for the Boy Scouts under the Trailsend brand. Really excited and have went through 3 interviews already and will need to meet the president to seal the deal.

What makes this so exciting is that its 30 minutes from where I live right now so my wife wouldn't have to quit and they have a 2.5 million dollar R&D budget for 2009. My budget is 0$, I have to beg for every dollar I spend.

Anyone like popcorn, I might be able to hook you up soon image
Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set

Comments

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    good luck. i hope it works out for you and your family.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i remember them well, trailsend , and jiffy pop, case they had card in em sometime
    my kid sold thier popcorn when he was in boy scouts years ago,hope ya get itimage
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Morg,

Hope it works out well for ya!

If you get the job, I say we get about 20 LARGE cartons, pop a bunch of popcorn and send one carton per day to ERINSTUBBY!

Stay Healthy !

Doug
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    My business is now dominated by my food service accounts, automotive has tanked.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're a scientist?
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    No - but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Sorry - I couldn't help myself image

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Jason,

here's wishing you image
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Hey thanks for the well wishes.

nam, yes I am. I think I have said that in other threads. I do work in the food industry developing new products, processes and technology. Most of my work recently has been in waste management and recovery. Not a tree hugger but there is cost benefits of reusing waste streams. My passion is research though and I will be able to get my nerd on in this job. I also am training to be a culinologist which is a scientist with a culinary degree as well.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    count me in as a huge huge popcorn lover!!!!!!!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    UPDATE:

Well I made it to the final 2. Had to come back for a 4th interview last Thursday at the main production facility. Thought it went ok, not great, not alot of questions exept the standard why should we hire you type. I talk to my potential boss on the weekend. Thought that was a good sign.

Find out today I didn't get the job. Then the recruiter says the reason and I almost hit the floor.

I didn't get the job due to the fact that I uttered a cuss word (to be exact, when I was shown a really cool piece of equipment I said "Damn, that is really cool) and he felt that showed I had a character flaw and wouldn't fit in with the culture and values of the company. I was the better candidate of the two and had a much better background and experience but I would clash with their core values.

During the interview it was stressed to me how Christian my boss is and he quoted me scripture during the interview and said he would ask god's guidence to make his choice and whaterver choice he made would be with god's hand.

I already work for a boss who isn't a trained scientist, this guy isn't either, and she makes decisions based on voodoo and gut feeling over science and statistics (marketing guys drive science guys nuts) so I am glad I found out this guy may be even more of crackpot than she is.

I have talked with my network of scientist friends and not one can believe it or ever heard that being used as a reason. My friend the HR manager said you could probably get a religion discrimination lawsuit if you wanted, but that isn't the point. I felt I wasted a ton of my time to get rejected for a stupid reason and I am pretty sure not the real reason (based on their pay scale I would have been already at the very top based on my requested salary demand).
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

<< <i>During the interview it was stressed to me how Christian my boss is and he quoted me scripture during the interview and said he would ask god's guidence to make his choice and whaterver choice he made would be with god's hand. >>

WOW.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Good luck!
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, that is fantastic news. I truly hope you get the job. Good luck to you.
    brian
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Do you live in Indiana?

Never mind..I looked at your profile for the answer. I live about hour 15 mins south of Van Buren. I had a brother inlaw and father inlaw work for Weaver.

Sorry to hear about younot getting the gig....

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Dear Morgoth,

I do not believe I've had the pleasure, but I certainly wish you all my bests. I'm a bit indifferent to popcorn. But my wife loves it. Ever hear of/tried Garrett Popcorn? Certainly good stuff.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I'm pretty sure it was for the best that you didn't get that job.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Damn, that sucks
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Morgoth

Congrats and popcorn does really well around here.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I would write a letter to the "decision maker" and ask him why you did not get the job. Include why you think you were the right person for the position and why YOU think you did not get the position ($$$$). Wait for his reply. If you do not hear back within one month I would call his office and ask to speak with him directly.

What happened to you REALLY SUCKS, if, indeed, you were not hired because you said D_A_M_N.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I wish I could find another jobimage

• Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    me too. I was suppose to go to work today. They called me last night and said they did not need me today.image
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    What stinks about my job is that it is all political. If you "know" the right person or you are related to the right person you can be put directly into a management role.
    I have worked for a couple of other places like that, but this one is the worst. They are some very incompetent people in our management chain.

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I would send the man a letter thanking him for his time and complimenting him on his company. No point in burning any bridges. I wish we had more Christians where I work, although it does seem this man took it to an extreme and didn't apply all the scripture he could have. Good luck with the continued job search.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Oh I agree Lee it's for the best but man that reason is so hokey I can't even tell my friends and family without them thinking I am lying or kidding around.

I don't mind the christian attitude but when you use it as a reason (values guys is a code word) not to hire it's discrimination and considering I didn't wear my Cannible Corpse shirt to the interview or quoted Anton Levay I don't see how the word damn used in exhuberence over their very cool machinery would classify me as having low values.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    good luck with that!!

perhaps it happened for a reason
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    sorry about the bad news.

i could of used some popcorn today watching the inauguration celebration.

good luck
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Just for you, Jason, I will boycot popcorn and church for the rest of the year.
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    Damn, that sucks. Girlscout cookies are way better anyway.

I'm sure you will find something that better suits you.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    Thanks, I am in no real need of moving on, just looking for better opportunities if the come along. I have been looking almost 2 years and turned down Coke and Cadbury Schweppes already. For some reason my resume looks really good to beverage companies even though I haven't made a beverage in 11 years.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Popcorn is my all-time favorite snack. As a matter of fact we have some of the Boy Scouts kettle corn in the pantry right now.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I also am training to be a culinologist . >>

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    smetsmet Posts: 359 ✭✭

<< <i>Just for you, Jason, I will boycot popcorn and church for the rest of the year. >>

I'm quitting church and popcorn too.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn isn't even a decent cuss word.
    I have nothing against religion, but hate those 'holier than thou' attitudes like that.
    Sorry it worked out that way for you.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    Morgoth -

I think you should start your own food company - that inserts baseball cards into the product.

i'm sure you'd have a few customers here !

cheers

"HOPE spring a kernel" - Denny Crane
  • Options
    if they're not going to hire you for saying a single word... think of all the other nightmares that may exist there. you're probably better off not getting an offer.
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if they would hire a guy like Jim Dyck
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Just for you, Jason, I will boycot popcorn and church for the rest of the year. >>

Me too. It's going to take every ounce of willpower I have, but as a showing of CU solidarity I'll do everything in my worldly power to try and avoid church for the next 11 months. It's going to be touch and go around Easter, but hopefully I can persevere.

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Jesus Boo, that means you're going to miss the spring bake sale. It's not worth it.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Me too. It's going to take every ounce of willpower I have, but as a showing of CU solidarity I'll do everything in my worldly power to try and avoid church for the next 11 months. It's going to be touch and go around Easter, but hopefully I can persevere. >>

I'm just hoping that I don't die in the next 11 months. They'll have to have my service at the VFW or something... And if my kids decide to get married, that'll be at the IHOP. We're doing Easter next to the flower display at Walmart this spring. Now, I've just gotta remember to order nachos while I'm at the movies!
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks, I am in no real need of moving on, just looking for better opportunities if the come along. I have been looking almost 2 years and turned down Coke and Cadbury Schweppes already. For some reason my resume looks really good to beverage companies even though I haven't made a beverage in 11 years. >>

i think you should try and work at a brewer so you can send us free beer.image
    Bill
    sets in progress
  • Options
    Best way to lose me as a customer is put up that little Christian business symbol. I would join the boycott but I like popcorn.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "...During the interview it was stressed to me how Christian my boss is and he quoted me scripture during the interview and said he would ask god's guidence to make his choice and whatever choice he made would be with god's hand...."

//////////////////////////////////////////

Yikes!

I am FAR more superstitious than most folks are.

I never tell folks that if they don't buy my brand of spookeeboo
    that I will not hire them. I simply stay quiet and don't hire them.
    (If one slips by, I put a spell on 'em that makes 'em quit.)

If I was young and somebody pulled on me what the popcorn
    nut seems to have pulled on the OP, I would have some fun
    in court. The insurance guys would likely pay me quickly to
    go away.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    I appreciate the sentiments and after consulting with some of my friends and HR types I am going to file a formal complaint against this manager. I am going to remind them that they cannot discriminate based on religion or perception of someones religion. I want a written letter stating exactly what was said that was offensive and if they have other "witnesses to the event", how it violated their "core values" and how that changes my competency for the position.

It won't do anything but maybe remind this donkey butt that you can't make use moral judements about someones character based on one word and use it to make hiring decisions. He needs to be knocked down a little off his high horse. Maybe he will use real reasons such as competency, experience and salary demands to make decisions in the future.

I will also ask that they pay me for the mileage for all the interview trips (most companies offer to pay they didn't) and I am considering asking for full restitution for my vacation days I had to take from my current job.
  • Options
    Actually guys I want you all to eat TONS of popcorn, only buy this brand

Don't buy these guys or any store brands!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    no problem. never heard of them
    Bill
    sets in progress
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "...I want a written letter stating exactly what was said that was offensive ..."

///////////////////////////////

Sometimes, when something I said is restated to me for the first time, I
    mistakenly recall the recounting to be correct.

Later, on reflection, I remember that I actually did not say what is alleged.

Maybe the OP actually said, "Wam" or "Shizam" or "WowMan."

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Morgoth,

Just read the thread, I am so sorry it didn't workout for you...I hope something comes your way real soon.

On the bright side, it appears if you did get the job, and you had dropped a jar in the lab and said "SH%T!" You'd prob get fired, so at least you dont have to worry about any gaps on your resume.

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    smetsmet Posts: 359 ✭✭
    What is "nakspak" anyways?
  • Options
    Storm you are right, no lie I actually am assuming what I said. I know I didn't go around dropping F-bombs but vaguely remember being excited about some equipment and I could have said damn but it happened almost a week ago and I am not even sure. I try very hard to keep a professional attitude on interviews, believe me I have been asked some really rank things in interviews normally at lunch or off hand and try very hard not to swear or joke offhandedly so this is just odd that someone would zero in on an a remark I may have made and try to use it as a hammer.