Home Metal Detecting
Options

Got a Fisher F2 for Christmas

I got the Fisher F2 for Christmas today. Not to bad of a detector. Went detecting for 30 minutes and found 10 regular cents and one dime (most signals were 2" to 3" deep). Will take some time to master number signals. Depth indication does seem to accurate. Difinately cheaply made but you get what you pay for. Very light. Got a weak signal but didn't dig it up as it was under tree roots and I didn't want to mess up the yard I was digging in. It was over 5" deep. I tested the depth with my Garrett GTAx 500. Will update info on F2 later when I have more time to use. I have kinfolk coming for Christmas dinner.
el Tesoro Cazador
Digging trash and treasure since 1977

Comments

• Options
    hey what package did the wife get you.and merryxmas.
  • Options
    Just the detector and the extra 4" coil. No pinpointer but I'm getting use to the cen tech pinpointer.
    Merry Christmas.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck and HH... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Just an update on the Fisher F2. I used it this weekend for ten hours. It has some flaws but it can still find some good stuff. While using the F2 I noted that you can't depend on the depth indicator at all like I had originally thought. I tried the suggested lifting of the coil 1" off the ground and then checking the depth. It just doesn't work or at least mine doesn't. I was getting depth readings of 4" for items on top of the ground or just below the surface. Also the identification of items was wrong frequently. Of the five nickels I found two were identified as dime/penny instead of nickel. Also wads of aluminum give a signal as a nickel. Dimes and cents were sometimes giving a quarter signal. It would sometimes beep once like a good signal but I could never get a second good beep. Another problem is that if you dig the coin up and it's on its side in the hole the F2 most times would not pick it up. Thank goodness I had the Cen Tech pinpointer or I would have lost numerous coins. I didn't dig many deep signals so I don't think it has good depth detection. Most of my older finds were 4" to 5" deep. The oldest coin I found was a 1935 cent. Either way I guess it is a good $200 detector and a good backup. I need to send off my GTAx 500 for some repairs and once I get it back I may just use the Fisher F2 as a spare.
    el Tesoro Cazador
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    nice caz,santa brought me the garret 550.can't wait to use it.
    figglehorn
  • Options
    Used the Fisher F2 today. Found 8 pennies and 79 golf balls. Had better luck with my eyes than with the detector. Maybe I should take up golfing.
    el Tesoro Cazador
  • Options
    new meaning to keep it swinging lol.