Home Precious Metals

Engelhard bars question

Bought this on eBay and just got it. The picture wasn't clear so I didn't see this before buying it. Looks like the serials have been ground off. Why would someone do that? Could it be stolen? Should I return it?

On another note, trying to put together a Engelhard type set of 1oz bars. Do you know of any not shown in my picture?
Its all relative

Comments

• secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    To answer your second question, the one-ounce Engelhard at the very top of your photo comes in two reverse varieties. See this Ebay listing which shows I'm talking about (click on the second photo).
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Thank you, I missed that one. I have the plain back.
    Its all relative
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bought this on eBay and just got it. The picture wasn't clear so I didn't see this before buying it. Looks like the serials have been ground off. Why would someone do that? >>

It looks like someone has removed some metal. Have you weighed it?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• 780Grams
    Its all relative
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    wow thats strange. Perhaps it was stolen so they got rid of the serial numbers. Did you buy it like that? If the ebay auction shows that then good luck getting money back.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Those look like drill bit marks to me. Maybe someone was checking the bar?
    Becky
  • Looks like it to me also, funny they decided to check in on the front, on top of serial number. I don't think I'll have problem getting my $ back as I paid with paypal. Already in the process, Believe I'll have a hard time selling this if I ever needed to. I looked back at the auction and seller described it as interesting assay marks.
    Its all relative
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably some time in its history it may have been 'stolen'.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think you'll have any problems selling it in the future.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>wow thats strange. Perhaps it was stolen so they got rid of the serial numbers. Did you buy it like that? If the ebay auction shows that then good luck getting money back. >>

That was my first thought.

If you brought that into our store, I would buy it as damaged goods at a low enough price that I could profitably send it to our refiner to get it off the market.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell/return it. There are plenty of undamaged ones out there, enough where it shouldn't take a minute or two to find a replacement.
  • Have to agree with those who'd send it back ! You have to consider the resale & "suspicious damage".
  • although seller told me I was over suspicious I can return it for refund as he could sell it for more anyhow. As I opened it I was not happy. I paid $400
    Its all relative
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    That kind of damage would bug me. I'd return it.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Greetings Cars..... I have a strange request ....

Choose a small space on a side......can you scratch the bar with your finger nail?

The reason I ask is that the bar does NOT look like an genuine ENGELHARD to me.......

1....... Notice the flow lines....... it looks like it has been brushed in one direction....with NO evidence
    of the cooling puddle lines normaly seen on these older, cast bars.

2....... While the drill bit has wiped out the bar number..... there does not appear to have been enough space for
    a genuine number to have been there.

Just a few thoughts, Sir.
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • I have no doubt about it being silver, don't really care anyhow as its on its way back to the guy so he "can sell it for more"
    Its all relative
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks real to me, just damaged.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.