Home Metal Detecting

Cen Tech Pinpointer

Bought a cheapo Pinpointer recently and got to use it today. I bought a cen-tech Pinpointer from Harbor freight through the web for $14.99 plus shipping. It works great! Had no problems with it pinpointing at all. My only problem is that pinpointing seems to be a waste of time when you have a full size detector already. I guess you have to be use to using one. It seems to cut down on my recovery time. I was wondering if anyone else uses one. I bought one because of all the hype but they seem inconvenient. What is you alls option?
el Tesoro Cazador
Digging trash and treasure since 1977

Comments

• Hmmm, I am still waiting for someone else to chime in... I never needed a pinpointer with my bounty hunter or with my old White as I could pinpoint down to (pardon the pun) a dime. With some of the newer machines the pinpoint is much harder to get much closer than a couple of inches around for a surface target (just under the grass). I found a pinpointer a huge boon with my DFX (I admit I was lazy, I really never tried to pinpoint a target after I found it because I had the pinpointer it came with and fell in love with it) and if it hadn't been stolen out of my truck along with my DFX I would still be using it even with my back up detector. I really liked the way I could dig a very small hole and come up with the find. You state it seems to save on recovery time but I don't understand the inconvenient part since you say you have a full size detector already? I like the idea that once I drop to my knees to dig, I don't have to stretch my arms in order to check a handfull of dirt with my full sized detector. I would be interested in hearing about others points of view on the use of pinpointers and (I think I read a post here about the one you purchased) the amount one should expect to pay for a pinpointer...

Happy hunting,

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • I'm sorry, I meant to say it increases my recovery time. I kept the pinpointer in my recovery poach and had to pull it out as I bent down for recover and lay it on the ground. After I dug the hole I would pick it up and scan the hole and the dirt removed. If it didn't beep I had to pick up the full size detector, scan the hole, dig somemore, scan with the pinpointer and then recover item. I guess after detecting 31 years without one it just seems strange. I suppose it will take some getting use to like anything else. I think my problem yesterday was digging the proper depth. Anyway I guess I just need more time with it. Thanks Rick for your input and I apoligize for my confusing notes.
    Keep it swing. el Tesoro Cazador
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, the Harbor Freight pinpointer, while cheap, will not last long, and also has to be very close to the target to help. A good pinpointer will save considerable time in the 'find' process. I would recommend either a bullseye or an inline pinpointer... they are fast, and can pinpoint several inches away from the target... saves time when the target does not show on the first dig. Cheers, RickO
  • I agree the Cen-Tech is cheap and doesn't go to deep. I figure I get maybe 3/4" to 1" with it. I just can't justify the expense for a better pinpointer becuase I don't detect often. Maybe in the future I'll get a better one. I believe Santa is bringing me a Fisher F2 and if I had paid attention to the sales ads I could have got a Fpoint pinpointer with the detetctor for $16 more. Oh well. I'm still use to using the big metal detector for pinpointing. I believe one of the Cen Tech pinpointer flaws is it's shape. I've seen several better pinpointers that look easier to use. Thanks for your thougths Rocko. I appprecaite it.
    el Tesoro Cazador
  • this pin pointer that came with the fisher set i got looks cheap also and has to be within an inch to signal.the more the dial is out the closer you need to be.
  • I was told and also read that the Whites Bullseye pinpointer doesn't work as well as the Cen Tech pinpointer. I don't own a Whites pinpointer so I can't honestly say if this is a fact or not.
    el Tesoro Cazador
  • didnt you order the fisher package?
  • My wife is getting me the Fisher F2 with the 4" coil for $199.00, I had shown her the website to get it. At the time I didn't realize that I could get a pinpointer (without the 4" coil) with the F2 for $215 instead. At least I ask my wife to buy the F2 with the two coils. I won't know if she did till Christmas. My birthday was yesterday and I ask for a fire/water proof safe. I got four shirts instead! Only time will tell.
    el Tesoro Cazador
  • i did the $275 bonus pack 4,10 coils, bag &pinpointer. i just have to add the headphones and tool kit.and off i go. lol
  • The old Cen Tech pinpointer worked good today. Got several inches of rain over the last couple of days so the ground was quite wet. Recovered several items underneath the water which filled the holes as fast I dug them. I had the pinpointer in a sandwich bag to keep it dry but it worked good. Very please with it today.
    the Treasure Hunter - el Tesoro Cazador