Home Precious Metals
Options

Sell gold, buy oil?

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
Your thoughts?
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gold to oil ratio is currently near the high end of it's 10 year trading range. Within 1-3 yrs this would be a good play. But in the short term oil will probably continue to be ravaged by the falling world economies. Gold will likely keep on outperforming oil during this period. There's a current glut of oil...yet I don't see supertankers (or Brinks trucks) being filled up with excess gold waiting for prices to recover.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say, buy gold and buy oil. However, from the reports I'm hearing, oil isn't expected to bounce back like I'd have thought.

But, I'm still not convinced. We're not going to eliminate the demand for petro products, no matter what the foolish environmental/junk science lobby says.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ajbaumanajbauman Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    MY plan is to start buying well performing, oversold oil companies in about the beginning of Q2 2009 for nice 10 - 15 year holding periods.

Preferrably some with some nice dividends and/or whatever Warren is buying. I know he bought a whole bunch of COP a few weeks back.

But I'll continue to acquire gold a good prices and hold for about the same time period, or until I need it to pay for food when the USD collapses!
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Geesh if you can seriously plan a 10 year hold on anything you're doing good.
  • Options

<< <i>Geesh if you can seriously plan a 10 year hold on anything you're doing good. >>

I'm still relatively young so I can "plan" to hold that long... whether I do or not is a different story image
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't think I've got room for oil barrels in my safe and SDB.
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, gold fits a whole lot easier in my bank's Safe Deposit Box.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it come in coin form?
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    You taking physical delivery of oil?
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Supposedly it costs $50-$65 a barrel to produce oil depending who you ask. So it does seem like a bargain if that is true.
  • Options
    You taking Delivery?
  • Options

<< <i>Supposedly it costs $50-$65 a barrel to produce oil depending who you ask. So it does seem like a bargain if that is true. >>

I've also read that it costs about $17 an oz to produce silver
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Supposedly it costs $50-$65 a barrel to produce oil depending who you ask. So it does seem like a bargain if that is true. >>

///////////////////////////////////

"...Still, Saudi costs for producing oil are the lowest in the world: according to Ali Al-Naimi, the cost to produce one barrel is less than $2. ..."

TWO-DOLLARS

Money For Nothing
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    for those of you with "long term horizons" for investing in oil now----

why would you buy it with the idea of holding for many years just to turn a profit??

why not wait until oil starts to make its move up and THEN buy? Why risk holding oil while the price is flat or even moves lower?

I'd appreciate reading your reasoning on this.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    How would you define "starts making its move up"? In any given day, oil can move up temporarily and then close down. What level of upward move would trigger your buy decision?
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't lose by doing both (in my opinion).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trade oil. Dont own oil.

The bubble has burst. The chart of oil over the next 10 years will look just like the Nikkei from 1990 and the Nasdaq from 2000. You know how markets work.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Oil doesn't set well in my safe deposit box; so I would rather have a physical PM than a piece of paper saying I am part owner of a oil well smoewhere.
  • Options
    secondrepublic asks: "How would you define "starts making its move up"? In any given day, oil can move up temporarily and then close down. What level of upward move would trigger your buy decision?"

that's pretty much my question. I wouldn't know when to buy oil to make a profit. I see oil in a general down trend now, but I know oil could turn around at any moment and return to recent highs.

OPEC says it needs oil to be in the 60-80 dollars range just to make a profit, and it cant make a profit with oil priced where it is now.

so I am open to suggestions here? what are target BUY prices and given that target BUY price what is the projection for a profit?

thanks
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    It is safe to average into DIG over time. The oil companies will make money
    no matter what the price of oil is. In fact, many of the crack-spread watchers
    are sure that $90 oil is more profitable - on a percentage basis - than $140 oil.

You can hedge a crash with DUG.

Everybody should have a few USO lottery tickets, for the next run.
    You must average into them, though.

As the coming depression creeps forward, I will not be surprised to
    see sub-$20 oil.

If nat-gas continues below $5, UNG should be safe on the long side.
    It might even be safe now.

To figure out the dynamics of oil - and other commodities - you need
    to become a mini-expert in the ways of "contango and backwardation."

ALL positions should be gathered a little at a time, unless you are daytrading.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    In depressed ecomonies oil companys don't make money off of oil or even natural gas. The big companies are into chemicals,fabrics,fibers and fertilzer that's how they hedge, cheap oil is tons of money for those sectors.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eventually. Not yet. When the time is right, ETF USO is the play. Be patient, but be vigilant.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    So who bought oil when it was in the mid 30 range? Grats you doubled your money in 6 months.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    USO is an awful ETF, in my opinion. Been there, done that.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Well most of us buy companies not oil. I purchased BP at $36 and some change and it's up to over $49. Now am I going to hold it all year? NO, I'll sell as the summer progresses and come back in right about the time we're all worried about heating. There's alway a stong move as school gets out and then stability usually only to drop a bit late in the summer giving you a chance to average back in Sept- Nov.
  • Options
    If you want to play oil then get into domestic producers.

The big companies, those that buy oil overseas will just pay more as the price goes up so they will not have any big gains by an increased price.
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    USO ETF is terrible. OIH, Oil holders ETF is better

Fidelity has a Select Energy fund which has done well, FSENX. I also like their Select Natural Gas Fund, FSNGX
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So who bought oil when it was in the mid 30 range? Grats you doubled your money in 6 months. >>

and made 30% during the month of May .... double congrats.....
    You silver buyers, didn't do bad either...22% gain.
    Gold buyers realized a 9% gain during the same period.

For the month of May...Oil is the winner.. any prediction for June? Whose crystal ball is still accurately woikin?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    And how did our pension fund trustees do with GM stock.......ehhhh. hold on let me check. Yep they deserve bonuses Im sure.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oil will still do well on it's way to $80 but gold is about to overtake it for the month of June. After that depends on the news coming out of the financial centers.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold