Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

LOOKING FOR MY OLD FRIENDS Braddick & Wondercoin

Hello all been a long time since I have posted on the boards wanted to say hello to Pat Braddick and Mitch Wondercoin, registry Coin... if your still on the boards didn`t see any post except old ones are they still around?? pontif still have that MS 70 Jefferson???

Hope you guys are well,

Happy holidays to you all and your family...

Matt

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braddick doesn't get to this forum much apparently. At least it's been a long
    time since I've seen him post here.
    Tempus fugit.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt: It's been a long time. I hope all is well with you and your family. Do you still have that one special coin - you know which one. You made one of the largest donations to the Widows and Orphans fund for the NY Firefighters who lost their lives in 9/11 and received one of the very special numbered "100" firefighter coins. I will never forget that.

You should also know, I still have you amazing, monster-toned, 1969-D Kennedy Half Dollar in PCGS-MS66 - it is one of my prized modern coins. For those of you who may not have been here back in 2000-2001 (and my memory is fading a bit these days as well so forgive me if I mess up on any part of the story), Matt and Registrycoin (Steve Heller) each had the #1 set of business strike Kennedy half Dollars at the time and consigned them to me to sell off. Richard Green was looking for a set to collect having just sold off his spendid silver Washington quarter collection. I suggested to Richard that he consider collecting MS Kennedy half dollars and told him about the two #1 sets I had on consignment from Matt and Steve. Richard suggested that he combine the (2) sets to form his MS Kennedy collection (later Hall of Fame inducted) and that I buy all of the remaining doubles as part of the deal after he chose the coins he wanted from the (2) #1 sets. Richard loved brilliant white coins and Steve had an amazing brilliant 69-D Kennedy half dollar. Matt had an incredible, monster-toned 1969-D like I had never seen - hands down the highlight of his collection. I sent the collections off to Richard for him to "cherry-pick" the coins for his new collection. Needless to say, I was on pins and needles waiting - hoping - that Richard selected the brilliant coin for his new set. And, he did. What an honor to acquire such an incredible Kennedy Half dollar - still one of the coolest modern coins I own. A few years back, I slabbed a 1969-D Kennedy in PCGS-MS67, but, forget the labels, your coin is still the coolest 69-D half out there!

Great to hear from you again Matt and you should stop by far more often!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braddick just posted yesterday at least once.

Link
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>your coin is still the coolest 69-D half out there! >>

Picture?
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    pics pls!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Mitch,

Like always your memory is impeccable, sometimes I regret selling that set, but things in life have a way of changing when you least expect it. Also those of you not around in the earlier days ( IM sure you know by now ) Mitch is first class act all the way around...not to mention he has a dedication and amazing ability finding the finest higest graded coins in all series and is damn good at doing that.

To show the strength of the "Registry" coins in a modern set many "old time collectors" scoffed at these coins values in the early days part of the reason the registry form was created to ease the heated arguements...many "others" considered them pocket change...what seemed to be a not so rare modern coin turned out to be more rare in high grades than the "old timers" realized...minted in the millions high grade examples in many years were extremly difficult to find...I learned that putting together my set in the higest grades I could find...I was fortunate to be one of the first and located some pristine examples now distruputed in many of the current Registry sets.

Mitch you forgot one aspect of that deal, in those early days Mitch also included as part of the deal one hundred ounces of gold American Eagles this was a huge feat one hundred ounces of gold only "part" of the sale towards a complete set of MS modern Kennedys...it grabbed everyones attention the true value of the "modern pocket change"

Still have the MS66 NY coins # 9 and #11 Sept 11 2001 a day never to be forgotten in history, A little note for you all not here in those days...Mitch created a way for the forum members to bid on some MS NY coins where the flag originated on the slabs of today limited to 100 coins I was high bidder on coins # 9 and # 11 all proceeds going to the families of the firefighters of 9-11. I think we raised over thirty thousand dollars. All slabs with the American flag, all by the forum members with Mitch leading the way....

I wonder why my set no longer shows as one of the all time finest???

Mitch, great to see your still an anchor to all the collectors, a person / dealer you can trust....

Have a great holiday

Hey Pat hope all is well for you too...............
    "Mitch you forgot one aspect of that deal, in those early days Mitch also included as part of the deal one hundred ounces of gold American Eagles"

Yes, I guess my memory is fading even faster than I thought!! image

Of course, you did end up with coins "9" and "11" - perhaps one day, some or all of these special coins might find their way into a museum.

Guys - one of the problems with having no intention of selling something (for me at least) is that it ends up in a safety deposit box much, much further away from home. Out here in S. CA, safety deposit boxes are not all that easy to obtain - often very long waiting lists for the decent sized boxes. That 69-D is not all that accessible - I did see it about a year ago when I visited that particular bank. One of the tragedies of our times - often not being able to keep our prized possessions at home with us to enjoy. Next time I get out to that bank, I'll have Justin take some pictures of that 69-d.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

• << <i>"Mitch you forgot one aspect of that deal, in those early days Mitch also included as part of the deal one hundred ounces of gold American Eagles"

Yes, I guess my memory is fading even faster than I thought!! image

Of course, you did end up with coins "9" and "11" - perhaps one day, some or all of these special coins might find their way into a museum.

Guys - one of the problems with having no intention of selling something (for me at least) is that it ends up in a safety deposit box much, much further away from home. Out here in S. CA, safety deposit boxes are not all that easy to obtain - often very long waiting lists for the decent sized boxes. That 69-D is not all that accessible - I did see it about a year ago when I visited that particular bank. One of the tragedies of our times - often not being able to keep our prized possessions at home with us to enjoy. Next time I get out to that bank, I'll have Justin take some pictures of that 69-d.

Wondercoin >>

Mitch,

If you are going to the bankimage no sense in Justin just taking pictures of only the 69-D, while he has the camera out image You might as well have him take a few more pictures, let's say 65, 66, 67 business strikes, 70-D also the 71-P & D just for startersimage Also make sure Justin has a note pad and pen so he can take an inventory for possible sales image

Just a thought,image
    Tim: Unfortunately, my 71-P is only an MS66 as well. Frankly, I got tired of buying $2.50 1971 Mint sets (yes, they are cheap) and yielding just about nothing every single time. I have not yet quit trying to slab that coin in MS67, but, it just gets harder and harder to justify wasting countless hours trying to (unsuccessfully) slab it in MS67. A classic modern coin no doubt in the years / decades ahead in MS67 grade.

Wondercoin
  • An interesting story on that 69 D toned Kennedy half, here I come back to the boards to say hello to all, and that one coin ties Mitch, Braddick and myself together years later...

While putting my Kennedy set together Pat and I by chance were talking back and forth over coins (that toned 69 D was a teletrade coin ), I had mentioned to Pat I was going to be bidding very heavy to win that coin, when Pat told me he also was going to be bidding, he told me to go for it he will stay out not driving up the price, I offered him the same but he insisted for me to bid to win for my set...

That is the kind of people I have been fortunate to have met on these boards over the years...Braddick had a nice Kennedy set as well and passed on the coin so I could be the winner...you dont find that in a person very often... class act all the way just part of the reason I wanted to say hello...

and it is a great coin...Mitch I hope IM on top of the list "if" it is ever offered for sale...I might be starting another Kennedy set soon...

PS dont sell teletrade short I have found some beauties when people were bashing them...
  • Bcsican - You don't want to save Kennedy half dollars again, they are ugly image Just modern junk image Save your money, buy Franklins image

And yes, Pat is great to deal with, he has sold my son and me some nice Kennedys over the past few years for our set(s). We have bought a few from Mitch, but he is stingy and doesn’t want to share image
  • TA Clough,

I have to say that was a very funny post I know the feeling all too well when looking for nice coins...thanks for making me laugh...I noticed the pickings for MS Kennedys is thin compaired to the time I was in my heyday looking for these gems...as soon as the Registry was formed prices jumped a lot...bottom line nice examples in MS Kennedys in high grade is still limited...looking at graded coins take in submissions not making the worthy grade people are finally seeing they are rare in there own right for modern coins....
  • HEY Matt,

Good to see you back.
    I have been away for a few years too.
    Recall we both joined the board about the same time.
    Hope you and your family have a Happy Holidays!!!!

Rick
  • Hi Rick,

Yes I do remember but you had a different logo for yourself back then...started thinking about the Registry sets Kennedy`s mostly... dropped by and was like I had never left just more new collectors...its nice to see it has calmed down without some of the very heated arguments that flared up over modern coins vs traditional...many back then thought we were nuts for saving our clad covered pocket change...PCGS got smart to seperate the two with the forum boards exclusively for each...happy holidays to you and to all.....
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merry Christmas to all!
    Matt, I still have that gold watch! (the poster though is gone, can't locate it... image )

I appreciate the kind words.

I do have a few neat Kennedies left, tucked away for a rainy day.

peacockcoins

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you found wondercoin and braddick!

Howdy from another class of 2001 alumni!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back bcsican,
    I too recall some good reading back then. I think the openess and freshness of it all back then is what caused my to join.