Home U.S. Coin Forum

eBay gamble: What generation ANACS holder is this?

I decided to gamble on this one and my offer was accepted. Looks to be a nice deep chocolate brown. Granted, one can never tell from eBay seller pics, and who knows what might be hidden in the shadows, but it looks like it is very nice for a 61.

The seller refers to it as an "ANA" holder, so I assume it's very early... late 1980s or early 1990s?

Thanks.

Comments

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the year but definitely an early one.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isnt that really an ANA holder that was pre-ANACS?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭✭
    Although I think it's already on the third version, didn't the "clearview" holder only start about 3 years ago?
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks nice!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • I dont know either, but that beauty would look nice in my 7070.image
  • EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    They started using these holders in 1989 I think. Most of the old ANA coins were very conservatively graded and will upgrade a point or two by todays standards. Unless you bought it for a registry set I would leave it in the old holder. The old ANA slabs are getting scarce and hard to find.
    ED
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's either an ANACS 11 or 12, but you'll need to see the back to really know, from 1989-1992 approximately.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks almost like a proof. Almost.

peacockcoins

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like a very nice coin ... those holders are from the days when the ANA owned the service,
    and I believe when ANA was the grading service of the PNG

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Through my 'research', if one could call it that (Conders the man for this, samples or not....but I have been watching these particular types closely, lately....the non-sample slabs). It appears to me that the cert #'s that begin with 2 letters have ANACS on the label, which would make the OP's coin a version 3/4 at the earliest. I have a BTW in the same type slab, and it reads 'OFFICIAL ANA GRADE', but its a version 1. The cert #'s with 1 letter at the beginning of the cert # indicates version 1 (ver 1.1, ver 2 and 3 are all the same when its not a sample. Examples:

Here's mine, version 1...single letter beginning cert # (you can clearly see 'official ANA grade on label):

Here's the label with 2 letters beginning the cert #, as the OP has, clearly version 3/4 (not my coin, and it's on ebay, so only using the label for identifier, but ANACS can clearly be seen on the label):

Don't know if this has been brought up before, but I thought it was something I could finally contribute to. Don't worry, Conders job is safe....I just dug a little for info on NON sample slabs.
    I'll come up with something, eventually.
  • I have a few of those that have 'OFFICIAL ANA GRADE' on the label and I know the cert # starts with a letter. I'll have to go to sampleslabs.com to see what version they are.
  • frnklnlvr, you would have version 1 slabs, slabbed before they were actually ANACS, if the cert #'s have just one letter at the beginning. In the sample slab info, version 1, version 1.1 and version 2 are all the same, just different coins in the slabs. As far as the slab itself goes, for graded, non-sample coins, all cert's that start with a single letter, are version 1 coins, which have the 'Official ANA Grade' on the label. The OP's label has 'ANACS' on the label, which didn't appear until version 3/4.
    I'll come up with something, eventually.
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Through my 'research', if one could call it that (Conders the man for this, samples or not....but I have been watching these particular types closely, lately....the non-sample slabs). It appears to me that the cert #'s that begin with 2 letters have ANACS on the label, which would make the OP's coin a version 3/4 at the earliest. I have a BTW in the same type slab, and it reads 'OFFICIAL ANA GRADE', but its a version 1. The cert #'s with 1 letter at the beginning of the cert # indicates version 1 (ver 1.1, ver 2 and 3 are all the same when its not a sample. >>

I appreciate the research, but I don't think your 1-letter versus 2 letters and ANA versus ANACS generations holds up.

Here's one that I currently have on eBay. It's a 2-letter prefix, but the background lettering is "OFFICIAL ANA GRADE". The hologram on the back states "ANA/PNG" on the first line and "AMERICAN NUMISMATIC ASSOCIATION" across the center.

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stay away from those modern Anacs holders like in the OP. image

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Here are two I have. The Kennedy starts with two letters. I think the Franklin starts with one letter, I believe the second character is zero.

• EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are two I have. The Kennedy starts with two letters. I think the Franklin starts with one letter, I believe the second character is zero.

image >>

I think what you are seeing is a letter O not a Zero.
    ED

• << <i>
    I think what you are seeing is a letter O not a Zero. >>

I couldn't tell for sure, they look about the same.

• << <i>Through my 'research', if one could call it that (Conders the man for this, samples or not....but I have been watching these particular types closely, lately....the non-sample slabs). It appears to me that the cert #'s that begin with 2 letters have ANACS on the label, which would make the OP's coin a version 3/4 at the earliest. I have a BTW in the same type slab, and it reads 'OFFICIAL ANA GRADE', but its a version 1. The cert #'s with 1 letter at the beginning of the cert # indicates version 1 (ver 1.1, ver 2 and 3 are all the same when its not a sample. Examples:

Here's mine, version 1...single letter beginning cert # (you can clearly see 'official ANA grade on label):

Here's the label with 2 letters beginning the cert #, as the OP has, clearly version 3/4 (not my coin, and it's on ebay, so only using the label for identifier, but ANACS can clearly be seen on the label):

Don't know if this has been brought up before, but I thought it was something I could finally contribute to. Don't worry, Conders job is safe....I just dug a little for info on NON sample slabs. >>

I think the 46D BTW cert # starts with two letters, the letter O is a little bigger than the zero next to it.
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    It looks like a Yaha holder. Send me the coin and I'll hold it for ya.

Very nice chocolate beauty.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file