Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

blue vs red flip

I am not sure I understand the difference for PSA/DNA with red vs blue flip. I know that blue is when there is no grade is assigned for its condition but I have also seen red flips with no grade ... so what is the difference?

Thanks,
Austin
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21

Comments

• rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    blue is for people who do not belong to psa membership club but sub autos anyways, red is for members, i thinkimage
  • I'm pretty sure that:

PSA/DNA Blue Flips are used for Auto'd cards with No Grades, Only Authentic.

PSA/DNA Red Flips are used for Autos with Grades.

I haven't seen the Red Flip No Grade; do you have a pic? or link?

PoppaJ

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    The only difference is

Blue flips = sent in on PSA/DNA sub form.

Red Flips= PSA sub form.

The grade or lack there of has nothing to do with it. I have many red flip cards that are just authenticated.
  • Red means the card is not altered (just like a regular psa card)... PSA will not slab an auto'ed card if the card has been trimmed or any other way altered.

Red flips I think can also be used as a base card in the registry.
    Blue flip just means the auto is real, they will slab anything that will fit into a slab - could be an index card for example.
    yeah,that is right- what jasen said,the red flips go in sets-like my 52 topps baseball autos in the red flips will go into the 52 basic topps registry, blue ones dont, image
    how did i know a emmitt pic was comingimage
    hi mattimage
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Anyone else of the opinion that PSA makes the whole thing needlessly confusing and annoying?
    Who is Rober Maris?

<< <i>Red means the card is not altered (just like a regular psa card)... PSA will not slab an auto'ed card if the card has been trimmed or any other way altered. >>

With all due respect this is just not true. The above pictured Emmitt Smith card was recolored.

I even sent a note with the card when I had it slabbed letting them know this.

The whole blue / red flip thing is what I said in my previous post. I was told that by a cu representitive a few years ago.

i second that, im confused enoughimage

• << <i>Here ya go poppa image

imageimage

image >>

////////////////

LMM,

thanks ... you're never too old to learn something new image

PoppaJ

• << <i>

<< <i>Red means the card is not altered (just like a regular psa card)... PSA will not slab an auto'ed card if the card has been trimmed or any other way altered. >>

With all due respect this is just not true. The above pictured Emmitt Smith card was recolored.

I even sent a note with the card when I had it slabbed letting them know this.

The whole blue / red flip thing is what I said in my previous post. I was told that by a cu representitive a few years ago. >>

They must make up the rules depending on who you talk to.... I do know for sure the blue flips can not be used in the registry.

maybe as long as you ask for just an authentic designation the card does not need to go through the card grading process (I'm just guessing) image
    blues can be used on the psa/dna registry, they just cant be mixed with the red flips of antthing, i ran into that on mine and had to figure it outimage

<< <i>blues can be used on the psa/dna registry, they just cant be mixed with the red flips of antthing, i ran into that on mine and had to figure it outimage >>

Same thing with prescription medication. You can't mix the blue and red pills or bad things will happenimage
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Are they grading the card or the auto when they give it an assigned a grade on the flip??
  • TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    If a train leaves Cleveland at nine o'clock and...Huh??
    they are grading the cards and authenitcatiing the autos, i had 20 pop last night
    i even got a 1952 topps autoed 7 , and i stinkimage
  • From a previous post:
    Thursday September 13, 2007 11:48 AM

OK.

I think this is confusing to people because there are different options offered through PSA and PSA/DNA.

Options for licensed autographed cards through PSA:

If a card is issued with an autograph from the manufacturer dated 1998 to present, you can submit this under any service level the card applies to based on value and desired turnaround time. It does not need to go through autograph authentication and we make no comment about the autograph.

If the card has an autograph issued by the manufacturer prior to 1998 or it was signed in person, the card will need to be sent in using the AUTOGRAPHED CARD GRADING AND AUTHENTICATION Service. The fees begin at $20 per card and go up depending on the value of the card and/or autograph. With this service the autograph will be looked at for authenticity as will the card. As for assigning a numeric grade as to the condition of the card, you have the choice with or without grade.

When holdered these will have the traditional red PSA label.

PSA does not grade autographs. If you would like to have the autograph graded you will need to utilize PSA/DNA services.

Options for licensed autographed cards through PSA/DNA:

Sometimes people go this route if they:
    1. Only want the autograph authenticated and graded.
    2. Do not care for PSA to make any comment on the card or if they know there is an issue with that card such as trimming, re-cloring, etc.

PSA/DNA does not grade cards so no comment is being made about the card. It is not looked at by PSA card graders.

If holdered, these will have a blue PSA/DNA label.
    Fees for this service are based on the authentication fees for the person who signed the card. You can view fee schedules, encapsulation fees and autograph grading fees on the PSA/DNA website. www.psadna.com.

Non licensed cards, cuts, etc.

The items can only go through PSA/DNA and the options are available as stated above with licensed cards.

If you still have questions I suggest calling our customer service department.

Carol

There was a time before the introduction of blue flips that a card could have come in through PSA/DNA services and received the red flip- That is the case with the Emmitt card. The card was not graded, only the autograph was looked. The PSA/DNA Certified is how you can tell with that. They went back and forth on adding the PSA/DNA Cert to label.

Carol

So carol, so you are saying it's okay to mix the red and blue pills?

• << <i>image

So carol, so you are saying it's okay to mix the red and blue pills? >>

No It is never ok to mix red and blue- you end up on the naughty list (aka problem orders).

• Still just as clear as mud to me... thanks for clearing this up imageimage
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I am really trying to figure this out...

if someone could help me I would appreciate it...

thanks...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • They are both NY Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter.

That is as far a guess as I am willing to go on them. Any idea when they were slabbed?
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am really trying to figure this out...

if someone could help me I would appreciate it...

thanks...

image >>

On the card on the left, they are opining that the card itself is authentic, and also that the autograph is authentic.

On the card on the right, they are only opining that the autograph is authentic. They are making no representation as to the card itself.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the info...

I knew someone here could explain it very simply to me...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...