Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

13»

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    That's hard to say. There isn't too much of a premium on Bednarik, but the others might carry a bit of a premium ($50-100 over the cost of the card, depending upon the player and their signing habits). At least I'd pay a premium to fill the holes in my set of the deceased players.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Steiner is confirmed to be alive, but I do not have an address for him. If we don't crack anything soon, I may attempt contact via the college alumni associations or through the athletic departments and hope they forward the requests along. Given the advanced age of these gentlemen, it is with great haste that we approach this project. The tragedy to Billy Bye this past Friday only adds more emphasis to the urgency in reaching out. I don't mind losing a few cards or donations. However, the only item I've failed to have returned has been Clarence Self. I'd still love to find out if it went to the right address... >>

Scott,

I agree that we should proceed with extreme haste...and I'm still sick about Billy Bye.

I have an address for Steiner...it's on SCN. I sent a test letter last week...so we should hopefully know soon whether its good. I also think the address for DeMoss is good. I confirmed yesterday that it's the same address as in the HM guide.

As for Self - it's possble that you have the right address. I've noticed that many of the older guys take a month or two to respond...especially those who don't receive many request. I sent out nearly a dozen requests for the 1950 Bowman set, and I've gotten nearly all back...although quite a few took well over a month.

I'm more worred about Hendren and Whisler...because I really don't know if I have the right addresses. Plus, we still have the 5 remaining players from the sets whose fates are currently unknow. I'm running out of avenues w/ those guys because either their name is too common and/or there just isn't anything to be found online.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>I have a dumb question. With the high numbers of the 48 Leaf cards being so spendy just for the card alone. What does an autographed, Hart, Nomellini, Conerly, or Bednarik 48 Leaf card go for? >>

The guys carrying the most premium would be the HOFers and Heisman winners (because the 48 Leaf card would likely be their rc or players long deceased. What hurts the value of auto'd 1948 Leaf cards is that there aren't many people out there who collect autographed cards from the set. You really don't see many autographed cards on E-Bay (except for a couple) and most long time autograph collectors didn't collect the 48 Leaf set (possibly because it is a college set).

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    trapperladtrapperlad Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I've been reading the thread for awhile and was curious. I can't imagine how much time and work you autograph card collector's have put into this. I hope you have luck completing it. I really like the 48 set. I have a PSA 7 Walker that is my favorite card in my entire collection. Best of luck, Trapperlad.
  • Options
    Any new additions yet? I'm still waiting to hear back from Bob DeMoss, Terry Brennan and Jim Youel. Have you heard from Clarence Self or the other 2 players (can't think of their names)?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Any new additions yet? I'm still waiting to hear back from Bob DeMoss, Terry Brennan and Jim Youel. Have you heard from Clarence Self or the other 2 players (can't think of their names)?

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Greg:

Nothing yet. Self, Hendren, Folsum, DeMoss, Steiner, and Whisler are st.ill out and in serious limbo... Trying to follow two leads on Baugh and Conerly.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Any new additions yet? I'm still waiting to hear back from Bob DeMoss, Terry Brennan and Jim Youel. Have you heard from Clarence Self or the other 2 players (can't think of their names)?

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Greg:

Nothing yet. Self, Hendren, Folsum, DeMoss, Steiner, and Whisler are st.ill out and in serious limbo... Trying to follow two leads on Baugh and Conerly. >>

Scott,

My letter to Rebel Steiner was RTS. I'm still perpelexted that DeMoss hasn't responded yet. I'm 100% positive that's his address....

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Well, I got an interesting lead on someone that HAD a nearly complete autographed '48 Leaf Set. The person that built it was two or three short (Larry Joe being one that could be remembered) and had nearly 45 duplicates. I'm trying to get in touch with the person that purchased it and I'm hoping that maybe he still has some of the dupes or will part with a few... Crossing my fingers BIGTIME!!!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    GOOD LUCK SCOTT!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, I got an interesting lead on someone that HAD a nearly complete autographed '48 Leaf Set. The person that built it was two or three short (Larry Joe being one that could be remembered) and had nearly 45 duplicates. I'm trying to get in touch with the person that purchased it and I'm hoping that maybe he still has some of the dupes or will part with a few... Crossing my fingers BIGTIME!!! >>

Good luck! Please keep me in mind for any dupes!

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I have another lead on a living ex-player w/ a 48 Leaf card. Wish me luck!

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Update:

I just confirmed that Bob Hendren is dead which leaves the following players who I can't confirm are alive or dead:

PHIL O'REILLY
    PAUL CAMPBELL
    RUSS STEGER
    BOB DeMOSS
    DAVE TEMPLETON
    JOE WHISLER

I think that DeMoss and possibly Steger are still alive, but am not sure about the other 4. Also, I just received the card below from Rebel Steiner earlier this week:

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Well, I got an interesting lead on someone that HAD a nearly complete autographed '48 Leaf Set. The person that built it was two or three short (Larry Joe being one that could be remembered) and had nearly 45 duplicates. I'm trying to get in touch with the person that purchased it and I'm hoping that maybe he still has some of the dupes or will part with a few... Crossing my fingers BIGTIME!!! >>

Scott,

Have you made any progress on the above?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Scott,

Have you made any progress on the above? >>

Progress, yes. Success or light at the end of the tunnel, no.

Since I've begun this project, I have seen only a smidgen of auto'd cards available in the marketplace and those have all been surviving or very recently deceased former players (Trippi, McAfee, Dudley, Wistert, Tripucka).

Something tells me that this is going to be a long, long, long journey and adding players that have passed will be an arduous task requiring patience, patience, patience and a willingness to pull the trigger if and when something comes available.
  • Options
    Russ Steger is still alive!

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Is he able to sign and do "we" have a working addy? I've got a card ready to ship...
  • Options

<< <i>Is he able to sign and do "we" have a working addy? I've got a card ready to ship... >>

I'm still confirming. I think that he's still able to sign. Also, I recently heard the DeMoss is no longer able to sign...which seems strange. I found a picture of him in Oct 08 at DePaul and he appeared fine... Apparantly between Oct 08 and May 09 (when we sent our TTM requests) he fell ill. Once again, that's what I was told but haven't been able to verify.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Haven't seen hide nor hair on the DeMoss since it was sent out. My Hendren finally came back RTS at least. Clarence Self is lost in action, too. A few letters to the VanBuren family have gone unanswered, so Steve is probably a no-go although I know that he recently did a private signing on VERY LARGE items only. I was just hoping for even his initials on a '48 Leaf, but guess that is not going to happen. If you get a Steger addy, I'd love it if you'd share. I've got most of the "question mark" guys ready to go out if they are ever confirmed with a working address.
  • Options
    Did you ever receive Joe Whisler back? After confirming Steger, the players who are still accounted for are:

Clarence Self - possibly alive but too ill to sign
    Bob DeMoss - possibly alive but too ill to sign
    Joe Whisler - no idea
    Phil O'Reilly - no idea
    Paul Campbell - no idea

I've though of contacting the alumni contact for the respective colleges...maybe they can help?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Clarence Self - Sent and no return
    Bob DeMoss - Sent and no return
    Phil O'Reilly - Have not sent (no working address or confirmation of survival)
    Paul Campbell - Have not sent (no working address or confirmation of survival)
    Joe Whisler - Sent and no return
    Steve VanBuren - Sent preliminary letters and no reply

The school alumni associations may be a wise move. I know that I was ready to go that route after I sent Billy Bye to the wrong Billy Bye and got the card back, but two days later Bye passed in the boating accident. I still have been unable to track down a near complete set of signed '48s that was sold privately nearly 3 years ago. There were about 30 dupes in the lot as well including many of the toughies like Jim White and Joe Scott.
  • Options
    PM sent.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Thanks to a heads-up from Greg, I was able to get this out and back . . .

• Options
    Scott,

Glad you got the Steger back. We still have to track down O'Reilly, Whisler and Templeton...I still have no idea whether any of the 3 are still alive.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I think Phil O'Reilly is still alive. I'm going to send out a test letter tomorrow.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I sent the letter to Phil O'Reilly today...I'll let you know what I hear back. Also, I called the high school today where Joe Whisler attended and left a message w/ the alumni coordinator. I'll let you know what I hear back. That leaves us with Dave Templeton who I'm still trying to track down.

By the way, I have a favor to ask. I've sent two 1948 Leaf cards to Terry Brennan and haven't received either one back. Do you have an extra? If so, can you mail it to him and ask him to sign? I'll pay you for the card and your shipping costs. Please let me know.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>I sent the letter to Phil O'Reilly today...I'll let you know what I hear back. Also, I called the high school today where Joe Whisler attended and left a message w/ the alumni coordinator. I'll let you know what I hear back. That leaves us with Dave Templeton who I'm still trying to track down.

By the way, I have a favor to ask. I've sent two 1948 Leaf cards to Terry Brennan and haven't received either one back. Do you have an extra? If so, can you mail it to him and ask him to sign? I'll pay you for the card and your shipping costs. Please let me know. >>

Greg:

Sounds great. Keep me abreast on O'Reilly and Whisler.

I don't have an extra Brennan, just the one he signed and the one in my graded collection. Let me check around and I'll do my best to get one and get it out. I recall reading on an ND Alum site that Brennan had taken ill, but I'll still give it a try.

• Options
    Greg:

Brennan is still signing. Sent out some upgraded '48s for sigs to Wistert, Aschenbrenner, Tripucka, Banonis, Lujack, Taliaferro and Brennan last week and Banonis, Aschenbrenner, Brennan and Tripucka are back already. Only Brennan kept the $10 donation. The others sent it back and Tripucka sent a note stating that the "Thank you" was sufficient and that he was returning the "cash" while Aschenbrener wrote a full page letter thanking me for bringing back so many great memories and shared two stories about his Rose Bowl MVP and his short career in the CFL.

Try Brennan again with a $10 donation and mention that Lujack, Tripucka and Fischer have already signed for you. He won't let you down knowing his fellow ND alums have helped you out. Close your letter with, "Go Irish!!!"
  • Options

<< <i>Greg:

Brennan is still signing. Sent out some upgraded '48s for sigs to Wistert, Aschenbrenner, Tripucka, Banonis, Lujack, Taliaferro and Brennan last week and Banonis, Aschenbrenner, Brennan and Tripucka are back already. Only Brennan kept the $10 donation. The others sent it back and Tripucka sent a note stating that the "Thank you" was sufficient and that he was returning the "cash" while Aschenbrener wrote a full page letter thanking me for bringing back so many great memories and shared two stories about his Rose Bowl MVP and his short career in the CFL.

Try Brennan again with a $10 donation and mention that Lujack, Tripucka and Fischer have already signed for you. He won't let you down knowing his fellow ND alums have helped you out. Close your letter with, "Go Irish!!!" >>

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm afraid that he's somehow black listing me for sending 2 requests. I'll buy another and send with $10...hopefully that will work. I'll take your suggestion and mention that the other NDers have signed or me already...hopefully that will work!

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I dropped the cards in the mail today to Joe Whisler. I'll let you know when I receive the cards back.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Some new additions that I just won tonight (excited about the Luckman and Baugh, but needed the VanBuren, too):

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    OTWcards,

Awesome pickups. Looks like you had a great night! Are any of the HOF rookies extras for you? If so, are you selling them?

GregM,

If you need someone to send to Brennan for you, just send me the card you want to send and I'll send it to him for you. I don't mind.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    I'll look to see when they come in how they fare to what I've already got, but current dupes from this lot are:

Bulldog Turner, Doak Walker, Charley Trippi, George Connor, George McAfee and Bill Dudley.
  • Options

<< <i>OTWcards,

Awesome pickups. Looks like you had a great night! Are any of the HOF rookies extras for you? If so, are you selling them?

GregM,

If you need someone to send to Brennan for you, just send me the card you want to send and I'll send it to him for you. I don't mind.

Mike >>

Mike,

Thanks for the offer. Reese sent a request last week on my behalf (the 48 Leaf card and a $10 donation) - hopefully this time it will work.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Scott,

Great pickups in the H&S auction - PM sent.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    A couple more new additions:

• Options
    Another arrival today with a nice personal note explaining that Mr. Whisler is doing well, but has endured two complete knee replacements from his football days:

• Options
    I received this back on Saturday. He signed both the front and back.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Whisler arrived. Enjoy your life . . . Thank you.
  • Options
    Glad to hear.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Well, got one of my 3 invoices back today, so I scanned the 35 '48s that I have in hand and I'm waiting on 18 more (2 will replace the blue labels) the will bring me to 51 of the 98 cards (still need Coulter in a '48 versus the '49:

• Options
    Another success today . . . Still one more survivor that I need and hopefully, that will be successful soon!

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Sweet slabs. They look good in the holders.
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    I just received this back last week along with a nice letter.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I just picked these up on E-Bay:

References: