Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Title changed so the d-bag can't find it and gloat.

Comments

• Options
    Scott, did you check out the person I told you to contact ??

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Scott, did you check out the person I told you to contact ?? >>

Yes, checked with Ron and got his list. Not too many HOF RC's and only one '48 Leaf and I already have it. Thanks much for the info!
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    There is another fella i know you need to get in touch with. He just sold about a dozen or so 48 Bowman on E-bay. He's a good fella, let me contact him and tell him what you are looking for and I will get back to you with his contact info.

• Options

<< <i>There is another fella i know you need to get in touch with. He just sold about a dozen or so 48 Bowman on E-bay. He's a good fella, let me contact him and tell him what you are looking for and I will get back to you with his contact info. >>

Appreciate it! Thanks!!!
  • Options
    Added a couple more today. Moss is a repeat and returned in a week. Classy guy, as is Banonis. Just dropped out another Trippi and I'm still looking for more raw cards to send out.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised you haven't found a baugh yet. He signed freely ttm up until a couple years ago so I thought there would be a bunch out there.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Got another Trippi back today and also an Ace Parker RC for my HOF RC Auto collection.
  • Options

• Options
    Added Tripucka (and Joe Perry, too).
  • Options
    this is a neat project keep it up!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    BTW, if anyone has any decent condition (VG-ish or better) cards of any surviving members of this set, I would greatly appreciate it if you could contact me (assuming you have any interest in selling them).

I am looking for 1-2 1948 Leaf cards of the following:

Fred Enke
    George Taliaferro (need 1)
    Johnny Lujack
    Al Wistert (Filled)
    Chuck Bednarik (need 1 - GD or better)
    George Savitsky (need 1)

And any other surviving member of this set except Trippi, McAfee, Pihos (unless you have a signed one), VanBuren (unless you have a signed one), Banonis and Moss.

If anyone has any signed cards from deceased players in the set, please let me know. I am VERY, VERY interested!!! Especially interested in Sid Luckman, Sammy Baugh, Pete Pihos (alive but unable to sign), Steve VanBuren (alive, but unable to sign), Leon Hart, Bob Waterfield, Levi Jackson, Kenny Washington, Bobby Layne, Leo Nomellini, Jackie Jensen, Jim White and Doak Walker.

THANKS!!!
  • Options
    edited!
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    John:

I'm good on those for now... Waiting on a Taliaferro I just sent out. Got my PSA/DNA results today. Everything passed except the one that would've been a monster. Pretty happy with the George Allen and Luckman Bowman RC. Bummed about E.D. Waiting to see how ugly the Bednarik looks in the holder.

• Options
    cool cards
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Hi Scott,

Do you have a checklist of who you need? I'll keep my eyes open for you. Good luck with the set!

Reese
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    You do know that in 1997 Leaf did a reprint autograph set right?

Kevin
  • Options
    Scott, dont tell me the monster was the ernie davis??
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>You do know that in 1997 Leaf did a reprint autograph set right?

Kevin >>

Yes, already have the Luckman as a placeholder... The '48 Bowman Luckman auto may not stay for long, though.
  • Options

<< <i>Scott, dont tell me the monster was the ernie davis?? >>

Sadly . . . image

But I'm not worried. I'm convinced it's legit and I don't need a holder to make me believe it, especially since it has no relation to CJ... image

BTW, had several tell me the Luckman was no good, but again, I did my research in advance and most of those that told me it was no good are the same ones selling secretarial and spousal Luckmans as legit!
  • Options
    Updated for new 1948 Leaf addition (George Taliaferro). Also got back Fred Dean and Lee Roy Jordan in today's mail. Still have 5 other Leafs out at this time and looking for more . . .
  • Options
    I sent to fred dean like 6 months ago and nothing. could you send me the addy you used?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    John:

Sent to the same one as last time and the same one I confirmed with you previously. Got it back in 12 days with a note on one of the protective IC's stating the donation was given to New Nature Ministries. I noticed on SCN that the previous success was mine in February 2008 and then this one with all failures or still waiting in between. He signed both of the '78 Topps RC's I sent him personalizing one to me and one to my son, Justin.

I'm not sure why I've had success with him (and some other toughies), but I'm not complaining. Maybe it's the letters that I write or the donation. I don't know...

We'll see how the luck stands up with RC's going to Fouts, Griese and Butkus. Fouts and Griese have become inconsistent and Butkus has been real tough as of late.

I'm pretty sure the recent '48 Leaf I sent to Bill Dudley (with a donation) will not come back as I hear he is in very poor condition, similar to Van Buren and Pihos.
  • Options
    You've been getting Butkus TTm ??

• Options

<< <i>You've been getting Butkus TTm ?? >>

I'm going to try... Had a RTS from him last year. One of the few that I've had so far.
  • Options
    I guess it doesnt hurt to try, He has always been a notorius RTS guy. Sometimes he even blacks out his address when he returns it.

• Options
    It may be about the letter. Here's a couple of toughies and not so toughies I've gotten on balls in the last year. Koufax was through Dodgers Spring Training (March 2008), Bonds via home and a note mentioning a mutual friend (Jan 2008), Rivera through NYY twice (Aug 2008) and Mussina through NYY (sent via PA home - Aug 2008). All have since passed PSA/DNA authentication.

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I sent to fred dean like 6 months ago and nothing. could you send me the addy you used? >>

Fred Dean stopped signing TTM the minute he was elected to the HOF. He was a great signer before election and very, very inconsistent since.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Scott- if you get a Dean not personaized I am interested. I bought one on ebay from UK redskins but it got lost in the mail on the way. ugh. Good luck with Fouts and Griese- and butkus! whew.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Updated as another came from Al Wistert today. Along with signing both RC's, he sent several other items, a long letter and previously he had asked for my business card. I think the biggest kick I got is that he signed the "Referred by:" portion on the back of my business card. That's almost as cool as the converstations we've had and the letters he's written.

He's 88 and we need to get him in the Hall on next year's Senior ballot! His career warrants him being there ahead of many that are already in!!!
  • Options
    nice scott. from all accounts he is a nice man. i sent him a 48 l eaf the other day.
    john
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Updated to add Johnny Lujack that just came in today... He signed both protective index cards, too. Nice return!
  • Options
    nice Lujack success. I'm gonna snag one of his leafs before too long.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Just got Savitsky back today and Sayers and Marchetti last Friday. A big CU THANK YOU to Publius (Joe) for his help with George!!!

I'm still looking for a 1948 Leaf Fred Enke to send out. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it... And as always, if anyone has any signed 1948 Leaf cards and wants to trade/sell, please let me know...
  • Options

<< <i>Just got Savitsky back today and Sayers and Marchetti last Friday. A big CU THANK YOU to Publius (Joe) for his help with George!!!

I'm still looking for a 1948 Leaf Fred Enke to send out. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it... And as always, if anyone has any signed 1948 Leaf cards and wants to trade/sell, please let me know... >>

For you the world Scotty....... The world (whispered)

I mailed the Al Wistert to you today, you sexy mohawk havin' MF'er
  • Options

<< <i>For you the world Scotty....... The world (whispered) >>

Oh stop it Joe... You had me at, "Hello..." image
  • Options
    Added Turner and Pihos for the '48 Leaf Set. Was also happy to add Parker, Johnson and Wojo, too...
  • Options
    Finally got my Fred Enke back... As well as a few others in the past week or so. Still waiting on Rossides and Gilmer and then I'll have all of the living members of the 1948 Leaf Set and then it's on to finding the likes of Luckman, Baugh, Nomellini, Conerly, et al...
  • Options
    Scott,

Bill Dudley is signing at the show here in Chantilly, VA this weekend. He is signing tomorrow morning at 11:15. If you need it bad enough, I can look for a decent 48 Leaf of him at the show and try to get a an autograph ticket for him to sign. The cost for the auto is $20. E-mail me at kshuck@ea.com tonight or early tomorrow if interested.

Ken
  • Options
    Another huge surprise today... First, Bill Dudley (PM'd Palm Beach, FL) with a note from Bill apologizing for forgetting my card when he sent back my last request and another from his wife/daughter advising on his illness and recent hospitalization and that he wanted to make sure that I got this back because, as she wrote, I had been "so cordial and generous with the Scholarship Fund" and that "Bill always smiles when he reads your letters."

Also got Harry Gilmer back for my Leaf set and a nicely signed Earl Campbell RC.

Images, as always, have been added to the top of the first post in this thread...
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Great Rivera auto!
  • Options

<< <i>Great Rivera auto! >>

He's pretty reliable TTM. And very prompt when he replies. If you don't see it within 10 days, you're probably not getting it. Just try to get it to him when they're getting back to NY for a reasonable home stand...
  • Options
    I have had several good in person experiences with George Taliaferro and one in person experience with Pete Pihos. My first experience with both was at the 50th Anniversary reunion for the 1945 Big Ten Champion Indiana Football team (in 1995, obviously). IU may be known for basketball, but that 1945 team produced IU's only undefeated football team (9-0-1) and highest national ranking (#4 in the final AP poll). Only a 7-7 tie with Northwestern in the second game of the season kept them from being 10-0 and claiming a share of the National Championship with Army (#1 that year in the final poll). Pete Pihos had just returned from Europe after being discharged from the Army and joined the team for three practices prior to the Northwestern game. He scored IU's only touchdown with 5 minutes left in the game. He went onto a great career in the NFL and was on the NFL's all-75th anniversary team. He signed a football for me as well as a book on the 1945 season. Pete suffers from Alheimzer's now. He was actually a victim of a memorabilia scam artist a few years back. Makes me sick.

Link

George Taliaferro couldn't be a nicer guy in person. He wrote a book last year about his life experience and I recommend it highly. He is a very gracious signer in person as well as TTM.
  • Options
    Another one back . . . Gene Rossides.

Just found out that there are another 6 players surviving that I was unaware of, so I've got some more letters to write and donations to put together... At least it means I may be able to knock down a few more high numbers!!!
  • Options
    Well, a nice day at the mailbox. Received 3 of the six high number players that I recently found out are still surviving. Sent them last week, so this is an incredibly quick return. Interesting to note that ALL of the players returned the donations and two included letters thanking me for the thought and detailing what they were up to. Mr. Derricotte is a retired dentist. I'm hoping that Mr. Youel, Mr. Aschenbrenner and Mr. Self are still healthy enough to sign the cards I sent them. If they respond, I will be finished with the surviving memebers of the set except for Steve VanBuren, who is physically unable to sign.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice Scott.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice Scott.

Steve >>

Scott,

Great responses...congrats. I'm still searching for cards of those six. There is a reasonably priced Weiner on E-Bay right now that I might snag. Keep us updated on the remaining 3 that are still oustanding.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Scott ... WOW ... that's an awesome achievement with that '48 set!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Great responses...congrats. I'm still searching for cards of those six. There is a reasonably priced Weiner on E-Bay right now that I might snag. Keep us updated on the remaining 3 that are still oustanding. >>

Will do, Greg. Thanks for the help with some of the addy's. I'm still surprised that these were back so soon as I only sent them out last Tuesday (less than a week)!!!
  • Options
    Well, two more today from Bill Fischer (Outland Trophy winner from Notre Dame) and Frank Aschenbrenner.

The interesting thing about Mr. Aschenbrenner is the list of coaches that he played for. Bear Bryant (while in the Navy), Paul Brown (while in the Navy), Bud Wilkenson (Chicago Tribune College All-Stars) and Ray Flaherty in the old AAFC when he played for the Chicago Hornets. Aschenbrenner has also been inducted into the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame and the Northwestern Hall of Fame. Mr. Fischer is also a member of the College Football Hall of Fame.

Waiting on two more requests and then it's on to finding the players that have already left the playing field.

• Options
    Jim Youel arrived today. Just waiting on Clarence Self (and it may be a long wait as I had varying addys to send to).

Anyway, getting closer. Now it's off to the secondary market to get the players that have unfortunately passed already.