Home Metal Detecting
Options

Any info on this button?

Hello, This is my first post on this particular forum, as I'm fairly new to the "PCGS Family of Forums".
I found this button today with my Explorer II at about 4" deep in nice soft rich loamy soil. I was in one of my favourite parks here in Adelaide and was quite happy to see this pop out of the ground.
Obviously, some details about it are stated on the button itself, but what would it have been used for? A garment button, or a pin-on for a celebration? This was during the height of fighting (Australia Day falls on Jan26 of each year) in WWI and I'm sure would have been quite a solemn ceremony/gathering.
Can any of you button collectors out there tell me if these are rare or have any value?
Anyway, I think it's one of the coolest finds I've made in a while!

Thanks for looking!

Stub

"AUSTRALIA DAY. ADELAIDE 1918"

Comments

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what it is, but nice find! WWI fascinates me.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    Digging trash and treasure since 1977
  • Options
    Great find!
  • Options
    Nice button...one I have never seen...Great find!
  • Options
    Hi,
    The 1918 Australia Day Magpie Stick Pin/Badge on the Ebay site has a "Buy it now" price of $12.50 plus $3.50 shipping for an apparently mint condition pin. Here is what I found on Australia Day below. I don't think the pin is a War item but a commerative item for this day as I have seen other items with different dates, some even have farmers, wagons and produce on them.

Australia Day, celebrated annually on 26 January, is the official national day of Australia, commemorating the establishment of the first British settlement on the continent of Australia. The date is that of the foundation of a British penal colony at Sydney Cove on Port Jackson, New South Wales in 1788, by Captain Arthur Phillip, in his capacity as the first Governor of New South Wales. Australia Day is an official public holiday in all states and territories of Australia, and has also been known as Anniversary Day and Foundation Day.

On the eve of Australia Day each year, the Prime Minister announces the winner of the Australian of the Year award, presented to an Australian citizen who has shown a "significant contribution to the Australian community and nation", and is an "inspirational role model for the Australian community". Subcategories of the award include "Young" and "Senior Australian of the Year", and an award for "Australia's Local Hero".

Records of the celebration of Australia Day date back to 1808 and in 1818, Governor Lachlan Macquarie held the first official celebration of Australia Day. In 2004, an estimated 7.5 million people attended Australia Day celebrations and functions across the country.

Hope this solves some of your questions.

De Tesoro Cazador
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool find.... and thanks for the history... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice that you tagged the backside! As I always seem to hit the front!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought at first I may have knocked off the stem, but it doesn't look like it ever had one. I think it may have had a pin, the kind that wraps around the inside of the rim, then goes across the middle. So I suppose it's not a garment button, but more like one of those political campaign buttons. It was really crusted with dirt when I first got it out of the ground and I almost tossed it as an old bottle cap. Lucky I looked a little closer, eh?
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting find and a definite keeper. Nice job.

Welcome to the forum and nice handle!

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    No info on this button, but a Great find and one to be proud of.

Congrats!!
    Speer34

imageimageimage