Home Metal Detecting
Options

Best detectors in low to mid price range

Looking for some suggestions on buying my first detector.
PCGS certified Modern Commemoratives and American Eagle Gold Bullion, Type set coins, CC mintmark coins, Confederate currency, Shield Nickels XF and better,HOF sports cards graded/ungraded

Comments

• Options
    The Garrett Ace 250 gets my vote. You can get a nice package deal from Kellyco for $212. I've had good success with my 250.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Check out the review of my gals ace 250... a fairly inexpensive machine but not one to call cheap or ineffective in finding metal. I don't think there is more bang for the buck than this light weight, pretty much simple machine... Later after you decide you like the hobby (and you will fall in love with the hobby) you can keep using this nifty critter or spend a grand or more for a detector of your choice that fits your needs...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I do not have one, these seem to be highly thought of here and on other MD forums. Good machine by reports. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I have a white DFX and my brother in law bought the Ace 250 as his first detector to go detect with me and we have gone over the same hole without digging and gotten the same Screen result penny, dime and so on.

The more expensive machine (DFG) is a little better on the deep stuff but down to 6 " the ace is just as good.

Great deals on Ebay right now for a used one
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    same here
  • Options

Thanks for the suggestions thus far, I put in on my Christmas wish listimage. Any other suggestions?
    PCGS certified Modern Commemoratives and American Eagle Gold Bullion, Type set coins, CC mintmark coins, Confederate currency, Shield Nickels XF and better,HOF sports cards graded/ungraded
  • Options

ttt
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well.. what did you get?? Inquiring minds want to know..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    KingPin, I'd have to agree with SilverDreams on this one. I bought the exact same package hes talking about from Kellyco. Not only is it cheaper to get it from Kellyco instead of the Garett website, but it also does come with a lot of extra little tools, magazines, dvds, etc.
  • Options
    Would planning on doing a fair amount of beach detecting make the Garrett Ace 250 a bad choice? Anyone got a detector suggestion for a beginner on an island?
  • Options
    What is the next system to buy if Garrett Ace 250 isn't available in your area...All I seems to find like at Dick's is the Bounty Hunter units from 250 to 500 dollar range. I to am a beginner in this hobby.....I don't buy off the Internet I've been taken before for big bucks before, I'm Net shy. lol
    Big Kahuna

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i bought both ace 250 and a midrange whites prizm IV.

My girl friend and I both used them this summer almost every weekend in NH. We both switched every other time we went out.

Both perform very well. I think the ace 250 was more accurate with
    quarters nailing them every time. It also found our only silver find which
    was a quarter at least 8 inches down.

The prizm on the other hand discriminates better in my opinion on what
    I was digging. It could tell the difference between a cent and a dime
    better then the ace.

Finding nickels versus trash is tough in my opinion with both.

All in all, I am glad I bought both and would buy either again if another
    person wished to join us. I would simply buy the one that is cheapest.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would planning on doing a fair amount of beach detecting make the Garrett Ace 250 a bad choice? Anyone got a detector suggestion for a beginner on an island? >>

the closer i got to the salt water the ace 250 and prizm IV performed
    poorly. Dry sand they work well.
  • Options
    Thank-you, fc.
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    My girlfriend got me my first detector, a Bounty hunter quick silver, for my birthday and it works great. within a couple months i have a zip lock bag filled half way with coins found with it.
    Star's/ Matching Star's/ Error's/ Low Serial's

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference." ~ Reinhold Niebuhr