Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Weird Nickel

My wife found a weird looking 2006 nickel.It appears to be made of solid copper.It isn't a planchet error.I was wondering if any of you coin guru's has seen this error,or heard of it before ?
Don
Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns

Comments

• Options
    How about a pic?
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I'll have to see what I can do.
    Don
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    sure its not gold plated or something like that? Definitely lets see a pic!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    possibly plated. pics would help.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    I am sure not Gold plated,or even copper plated.I collected many lincolns in my day and I'm sure.
    Don
  • Options
    Long time old friend.
    Don
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Weighing it might require a very accurate scale since a normal nickel alloy is 75% copper and copper and nickel have similar weights....my guess would be some galvanic corrosion that consumed the nickel from the surface leaving a surface layer of copper...but taht's just a gutshot guess without doing any research...-Jerry
  • Options
    I thought they were an alloy and not plated.
    Don
  • Options
    Don, where the hell have you been hiding???
  • Options
    I know it has been quite a while
    Don
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought they were an alloy and not plated. >>

Yes, that is correct. My post was talking about removing the nickel from the surface layer making a de-facto plate. --jerry
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Hi DON!!!
  • Options
    HI GOOSE!!!

• Options
    Don asked me to post this.

• Options
    That is the best pic my wife can make with our camara.Sorry for it.
    Don
  • Options
    If you put a nickel in the oven it will turn deep golden color firsr then fuscia then deep blue etc.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    better pic please. Hey see if you can get the macro setting on your camera. Looks like a flower on the camera that you can toggle to.

Just looks dirty or something to me.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps copper sintered or copper washed, resulting from normal minting processes. An interesting but relatively low valued error that can be easily replicated outside the Mint.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Perhaps copper sintered or copper washed, resulting from normal minting processes. An interesting but relatively low valued error that can be easily replicated outside the Mint. >>

I agree with the Dog, sintered planchet. Should weigh the same as a normal nickel, it just picked up a microscopic coating of copper during the planchet preparation proecss.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sean, I disagree -

From what I can see in the photo, the coin is simply
    discolored, and has no charactoristics of a Sintered Planchet.......

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    I think it was drop into some kind of chemical and changed color.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file