Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay Power Screwer 'coinedout' has one pitiful shipping policy - how do these guys make any large sa

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sellers like this make me cringe. image

Just listen to this item description:

***This is a 1883 Indian Head Cent that grades as a wonderful MS-63RB. This coin is professioanlly pictured and is the coin you will receive. Detailed photos are presented in this auction to assist you, the buyer, in determining the value of this item. So please view item prior to bidding. You decide what it is worth, there is NO RESERVE!!!. Buyer to pay $3.00 for shipping and handling and an additional $1.65 for every $50.00 worth of postal insurance. Payment is accepted through paypal. I can also accept payments by credit card through my business if the item is more than $100 dollars. You can reach me during business hours at (253) 864-6188. I offer a 7 day return policy on purchase price on all uncertified/raw coins. I will deduct a 5% restocking fee from the purchase price on all returns.***

1. Coin grades a "wonderful MS-63RB"??? Yeah, says who???

2. "Coin is professionally pictured"....what the 'f' does that mean??

3. "$1.65 for every $50.00 worth of postal insurance" ....gosh, what a great guy....that's only another 3.3% on a measley $50 order.
Imagine buying a 2008-W Gold Buffalo from this jerk........You'd pay an additional $33 just for insurance!!!

4. Then to top it off, he only takes 5% more of your money on returns.

Check out this jerk's feedback while you are at it!!!!!

eBay Jerk

ps. If this guy is a forum member, I will resign my post as the bully of gold!!! image

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    as a buyer i know the insurance is to cover his butt not mine so no need to buy it. that leaves $3 shipping which is not out of line.

that said... his good photos show what a crappy coin it is. that plus his feedback and its time to move on. JMO

edited to spell butt rightimage
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Who in their right mind would buy from a seller like that?
  • Options

<< <i>Wow. Who in their right mind would buy from a seller like that? >>

Exactly. So what's the big deal? Idiots trying to sell stuff? Like that's something new... image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No 15% Power Seller Discount for this dude ... His DSR ratings will give him only 5%... Right were it hurts...
    Love that discount...I received 20% of my selling fees last month in addition to a 20% refund of my FVF on Free Shipping items. Nice bid of change.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    Bought a low grade walker from him some time ago. His pix and grade he puts on them are crap (way overgraded). He is blocked on my ebay feature...................Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    They're a dealer here in my area. South Hill Coins.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No 15% Power Seller Discount for this dude ... His DSR ratings will give him only 5%... >>

Actually, his DSR ratings put him in the zero discount category. Minimum is 4.6 for 5%, and his shipping cost DSR is 4.5.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭
    The gouges in the field and on the face are free.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Not sure why all the commotion. This guy is fighting for the bottom of the coin market. This forum tends to stay away from there. Frankly, if the only coin collectors were those represented here there would be no market for low end stuff.

He's getting screwed by ebay on fees just like the rest of us. If you're getting a 15 or 20% rebate and it's a sizable chunk of change, then the 80 or 85% they are keeping is a huge chunk of change. They have some great mass psychologists working for them. And the free shipping they push us into makes us figure the shipping into the price so they get FVF on that too.

So when you dine at your 5 star restuarant or even your midpriced restuarant do you get upset that people are choosing to eat at McDonalds? If not, then let the masses continue to eat there and shop at the low end of the coin market.

Don't construe this post as any effort to defend his methods or auctions. He has earned his place at the bottom.

--jerry
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's already on my blocked list!

Now I've got nothin to do for fun tonight.
  • Options
    The winning bidder is going to be paying $6.30 for an ugly XF (more or less) 1883 Indian Head cent. Greysheet bid for this date is $5 in VF, $13 in XF. Looks like the bidders figured this one out okay.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Too much time on your hands, so you look for people that make you mad. Just don't bid. No need to tell everyone here the photo tells the story.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>Too much time on your hands, so you look for people that make you mad. Just don't bid. No need to tell everyone here the photo tells the story. >>

Too much time on my hands???

Did someone take the time to respond to my plea??? image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Duh, image yup image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    I have had his items on my watch list, and have bid a few times on his items. Never won anything. I view sellers like him as follows:
    1. I stick to their listings that are slabbed by a reputable company. Nothing raw.
    2. I do not buy any expensive items from sellers that have cronic feedback issues. Nothing over $50.
    3. I lower my bidding amount by the shipping and insurance charges.
    4. If someone else has a similar item, I ussually delete this sellers item from my watch list.
    5. At crunch time, when it is time to bid, I think twice about whether it will be worth the hassle. I often pass.

As Jerry pointed out, there is a place for these sellers. I just don't risk serious money with them. I consider this guy somewhat borderline. Part of his problem, is related to ebays new policies. I am looking at the shipping complaints. He is not way out of line, but probably should start hiding those costs in his starting bid, like most other sellers have started to do. I must admit, as a buyer, it has been much easier to deal with sellers now. This guy seems to be a holdover from before. He has not made the adjustments neccesary to stay alive on ebay these days. I hope he can figure it out.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dandy seller.

Ken
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He's already on my blocked list!

Now I've got nothin to do for fun tonight.
    image >>

So you have a list that blocks sellers? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good idea to run his toolhaus report,
    its great reading
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    I won't block him. If he wants to buy my stuff that's great..image

I just won't buy his......
  • Options
    Doesn't look like someone I would buy from...unless maybe the sale price was under $50.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin is a POS. Who cares about the terms. These are the types of sellers that I exclude from eBay searches.

Conversely, If I am potentially going to get a good deal or cherrypick, I will put up with crappy terms (within reason). Once I paid $10 postage on a $22 item. I was more than happy to do so, as it was a 1939-D WLH with a crappy picture that graded MS-66. In this instance, if I quibbled about terms, I risked losing the cherrypick.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file