Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can I get some thoughts on this 1893S Morgan please.

The pictures below are from the seller. The coin is up for auction at a live auction later this week. I know with key dates, the smart thing to do is to buy it graded. But I wanted to get some thoughts from the folks here. Thanks again!
Chaz

Proud recipient of Y.S. Award on 07/26/08.

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not chance buying the coin if it isn't slabbed by PCGS or NGC.
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree. Bowers in his guide book says to "avoid like the plague" any raw 1893-S morgans
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    well, how about you bid on it and then have the seller submit it for you to pcgs? Then if it comes back graded and slabbed, they can keep the money. However if its bodybagged, you get your money back??

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, it looks ok to me, but unless I could hold it in hand to look for some of the die diagnostics, I would not buy it. I would also want to look at it in person to make sure it is original so it will slab.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Looks legit to me.
  • Options

<< <i>well, how about you bid on it and then have the seller submit it for you to pcgs? Then if it comes back graded and slabbed, they can keep the money. However if its bodybagged, you get your money back?? >>

Since he already has your money, this makes no sense.
    Avoid this tactic, and avoid that coin.
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    I agree that it looks legitimate...although I would still be a bit weary.
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the easiest coins to authenticate. So if you don't know the diagnostics already, learn them.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what is visible, it appears to be genuine. That being said, I still would be leery unless the seller unless it was a well known seller.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VG08
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>This is one of the easiest coins to authenticate. So if you don't know the diagnostics already, learn them. >>

I know the diagnostics for this year, but I was looking for other opinions. Thanks all.
    Chaz

Proud recipient of Y.S. Award on 07/26/08.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    don't do it, is my thought
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest risk is that the coin is repaired. However, that appears unlikely. Just buy it.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VG08... Appears genuine.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    vg08; it would be real hard to see any diagnostics from those pix.
    here is a pcgs 35 for comparison. note the position of the 1 in 1893 centered over a denticle. compare similar positions around the coin. Go to Heritage or TeleTrade and get pix of likely coins that could be altered to give a 93-s like an 1898-s and look for other position matchups. I think you will be ok if you buy it. Make sure that you get a right to return it if you are not happy with it. Might be kind of tough if its an auction.

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    1893 s and 1894 are not hard to tell if real or fake. If i needed a 1893 s i would buy raw with a price that reflects it being raw. Most dealers and auction companies guarentee the coins to be real or your money back???
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    If you can get it for a price that reflects a very low grade, it may be worth a gamble. That way if PCGS puts in in a genuine holder, you can still get in in your registry for a small outlay. If it gets bodybagged, then you are only out a small amount of money for your gambling efforts.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would not chance buying the coin if it isn't slabbed by PCGS or NGC. >>

What's wrong with ANACS, ICG, SEGS or DGS?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one that thinks it looks like it's been cleaned?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice circulated coin, but I personally wouldn't touch with the proverbial ten-foot pole if it were not in reputable TPG plastic.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Am I the only one that thinks it looks like it's been cleaned? >>

Probably not. It looks like it prossibly was dipped, long ago. But not enough to bother me, personally. Looks like a nice solid circ to me, IF it's kosher on the authenticity end. (I don't do enough with Morgans to be a judge of that).

Get it in a PCGS "Genuine" holder, if not a regular slab, and that would be good enough for me.

<< <i>What's wrong with ANACS, ICG, SEGS or DGS? >>

Nothing, from an authentication standpoint. (Except that I am not familiar with DGS).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I see raw key dates for sale all the time and I wonder why the seller doesn't spend the small amount of money to have it certified. It adds value and attracts more bidders. It also guarantees authenticity.
  • Options

<< <i>

Probably not. It looks like it prossibly was dipped, long ago. But not enough to bother me, personally. Looks like a nice solid circ to me, IF it's kosher on the authenticity end. (I don't do enough with Morgans to be a judge of that).

Get it in a PCGS "Genuine" holder, if not a regular slab, and that would be good enough for me.

Nothing, from an authentication standpoint. (Except that I am not familiar with DGS). >>

DGS is Dominion Grading Service, they used to be called PCI.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Nothing, from an authentication standpoint. (Except that I am not familiar with DGS). >>

DGS is Dominion Grading Service, they used to be called PCI. >>

Dominion bought the assets of PCI but is a completely different entity. The Dominion grading standards are quite strict and they are generating a following among collectors who are able to make their own decisions. Personally, I rank Dominion very close to PCGS and superior to all of the others.
    I expect them to achieve eBay acceptability in the near future.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>Am I the only one that thinks it looks like it's been cleaned? >>

Am I the only one who thinks someone carved their initials into the cheek?
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would not chance buying the coin if it isn't slabbed by PCGS or NGC. >>

What's wrong with ANACS, ICG, SEGS or DGS? >>

They have not achieved the market acceptance that is enjoyed by PCGS and NGC. Therefore, their slabs do not add as much value and marketability to the coin. Since this market acceptance is based on a perception of expertise and consistency, I would only use PCGS or NGC for key date coins that cost a lot of money, and for which a 1 point difference in grade may mean a significant difference in value.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file