Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade the 2 Morgans side by side (grades posted)

DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
These two 1893-CC Morgans are in current generation blue insert holders. What do you think they grade?

top coin is graded VF25

bottom coin is graded VF20
When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I'd say both are 20s.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    VF-35
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I think the top one grades a fraction better than the bottom one.

BTW- I like the look of each of those a lot.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    35 top
    30 bottom
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    Barely 40 on the first, and 35 one the 2nd.

Take Care
    Ben
    100% DAV, Been There and Done That!
    166 BHDs & 154 Die Varieties & Die States...
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF 20 or 25 for both.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    30's or 35's
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>35 top
    30 bottom >>

• Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    I agree with:
    vf35
    vf30
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with:
    vf35
    vf30 >>

me too.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    the top one is VF-30, the bottom is Vf 35
  • Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both 30
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top one should grade higher. HOWEVER my guess is that it will be lower. 25-35
  • Options
    Top- F15
    Botton - F12
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot grade Morgans very well, but I think the bottom one is a slightly higher grade ...

my WAG is 25 and 30

both are nice looking coins image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25 on both, i like the look of both of them... nice
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top is LIKELY GRADED a VF25 and the bottom is a VF20 by PCGS.

I would like grade these alittle different than the holder they are likely in, unless in hand there are issues that can not be seen from the image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Twins....if it wasn't for the hit on the 1st ones nose I would think they were the same coin.image
    Becky
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    The worst part of my game is grading circulated material.

Top is 20 with the bottom a 25.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    My guess is 25 top and 20 bottom.
  • Options
    DING! DING! DING!

Rampage got it right... Top coin is VF25 and bottom is VF20.

The crazy thing is, in person the VF20 is a nicer coin. And every time I look at them I say to myself, "If the grades were covered up and the coins were priced exactly the same, I'd pick the VF20 every time."
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reverse seems a touch better on the second coin (feathers, etc) and struck better. But, I can see the traditional wear areas on the top coin seem a bit better. Almost looks like the two images were reversed. Still, I am going to presume a red herring here . .. and think PCGS saw the reverse on the bottom coin and it carried the weight.

I will go against the grain here. 30 for the top and 35 for the bottom. (I know, opposite of what many before have said.)

Drunner
  • Options
    I thought thats what I said the PCGS grades were...

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>DING! DING! DING!

Rampage got it right... Top coin is VF25 and bottom is VF20.

The crazy thing is, in person the VF20 is a nicer coin. And every time I look at them I say to myself, "If the grades were covered up and the coins were priced exactly the same, I'd pick the VF20 every time." >>

Coinkat got it right first.
  • Options
    My apologies to Coinkat. He did, indeed, get it right first.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Both coins are close and in terms of the grade. Let me offer an explanation as to why the top coin is the 25:

On the top coin, there is the slightest separation of the leaves and the lower leaf still has the slight remains of the line which splits the leaf.

The bottom coin has no bottom leaf detail and is blended into the leaf above it.

• Options

<< <i>Both coins are close and in terms of the grade. Let me offer an explanation as to why the top coin is the 25:
    On the top coin, there is the slightest separation of the leaves and the lower leaf still has the slight remains of the line which splits the leaf.
    The bottom coin has no bottom leaf detail and is blended into the leaf above it. >>

Coinkat:
    Thanks for the lesson... I can see it and it makes sense. What's throwing me off is the detail in the eagle's right wing; the VF20 has more. Since PCGS claims it "looks at the whole coin, not just one detail" I figure that both coins should at least be the same grade. One of these days I'll test out this theory.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, this date is strictly graded at the vf/xf level, as it takes a large price jump when it reaches xf40. Thanks for posting!!
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    I would pay a dollar or two more for the bottom one.
    Ted Allison
  • Options
    The wings are important, however, the obverse detail will carry the grade on most coins.

Not to mix apples and oranges, but there was quite an interesting thread about a 1921-s WLH in a PCGS holder graded VF20. I thought the obverse clearly made VF20 and the reverse was alittle suspect. It was graded 20 for basically the same reasons the 1893-cc Morgan pictured on top in this thread was graded a 25 and that was due to the overall sharper obverse appearance in a specific area that TPG looks at.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file