Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Show off your sharply struck Peace dollars

Peace dollars usually have a mushy, poorly struck look. It is expected that "S" mint issues have these negative characteristics, but MOST dates, regardless of mint origin, have missing detail. The word "PEACE" is so weak, that one must tilt the coin a certain way to see it! The eagle feathers blend together and all reverse lettering is incredibly flat. I realize that these coins have detail limitations due to original hub design, but there are always a few early strikes that stand out.
It would be fun and educational to see some sharply struck low relief Peace dollars from forum members. They don't need to have booming luster and fantastic eye-appeal, but that is always welcome.
So show us some Peace dollars that are well-struck or better yet, FULLY STRUCK for the date. image

Comments

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    I just read Burdettes new book on Peace Dollars, gives a great table on the sharpness of 1921 specimens.
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Wow, it's a real snoozer in here today. I guess sharply struck Peace dollars are even rarer than I thought.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Well they are few and far between.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not so sharply struck, but still a sharpie!!! image

• Options
    Here's one I found from a recent forum post by "Mesquite." It is a very sharp 1924 Peace dollar. Scroll down and have a look.
    forum member 24 Peace
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Sharply struck Peace dollars are tough to find in part because the design is mushy to start with. Quality control was not very good much of the time and no body really cared how they looked. A further factor is that new dies – ones capable of the best looking coins – did not have the kind of mirror-like or lustrous fields common on Morgan dollars. A coin from new dies will have a satin-like, metallic look very unlike other coins, and not something most collectors look for.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's one I found from a recent forum post by "Mesquite." It is a very sharp 1924 Peace dollar. Scroll down and have a look.
    forum member 24 Peace >>

image >>

• Options
    Thanks Goldbully,
    Certainly more efficient than my vague link.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    garsmith, wow what a great collection of peace dollars in high grades!

veryfine, that 1924 peace that Goldbully linked the pic is very nice!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

<< <i>garsmith, wow what a great collection of peace dollars in high grades!

veryfine, that 1924 peace that Goldbully linked the pic is very nice! >>

I agree, garsmith's collection is amazing.
    Can you believe that linked 1924? You rarely see a bold strike like that on any 1922-1928 Peace dollar. Look at the obverse hair detail and reverse lettering. Wow.image
  • Options
  • Options
    COINB0Y,
    That's a sharp 1923.
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Bob,
    I love your high relief. I didn't want to include high relief 21 Peace dollars as examples because they look great even when poorly struck. The low relief type is normally so flat and lifeless, that even slightly above average strikes get my attention. However, since the high reliefs here, I'll include mine.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Does this count?

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I'll go with a low reliefimage

• Options
    Reverse is a little spongy.

• Options
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    Not GREAT on the reverse, but pretty good. Very good on the obverse I would say.

• Options
    Sharply struck Peace dollars are few and far between.
    Some nice examples here.image
  • Options
    Here's a nice 1927-D - not especially scarce but good detail.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 27-D has some of the best hair detail I have seen in a while...really nice!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    The strike on the 1927-D just blows the others away. Super strike.
  • Options
    RWB,
    THAT'S the kind of strike I'm looking for. image

Now I have to ask some of you who are on the fence with regard to Peace dollars. When you see Peace dollars like this, don't you want to run out and get at least one really sharp example?

I know I do, but they are soooooo hard to find.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    imageon that 27-d
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image
    image >>

Rob....Nice '21

Looks like your coin is a VAM-1F, struck from matte proof dies.

Very Cool.

• Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a nice 1927-D - not especially scarce but good detail.

image >>

RWB...

Very Nice '27-D, Looks like it could be the Top 50, VAM-2.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, it's a real snoozer in here today. I guess sharply struck Peace dollars are even rarer than I thought.
    image >>

Wonderful coins
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>RWB,
    THAT'S the kind of strike I'm looking for. image

Now I have to ask some of you who are on the fence with regard to Peace dollars. When you see Peace dollars like this, don't you want to run out and get at least one really sharp example?

I know I do, but they are soooooo hard to find. >>

You make an excellent point.

If they were more like this one, then yes, you would have a whole lot more Peace Dollar collectors out there.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Since nobody has posted a '22. I will get around to having it slabbed one of these days.

Gotta get out the thorn for this one....

'23

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    Re: 1927-D. Glad folks find the coin interesting. It’s shown in the "1927-D" sub-section heading illustration in the new Peace dollar book. Doubtful that the obverse die lasted very long given the crack through the base of the portrait.

As for sharp Peace dollars, I think they are still out there to be found. But, few collectors have paid attention to overall quality – most buy for the plastic grade when they could get a much nicer coin for the same money.

Dave Bowers has made this point several times in relation to Standing Liberty quarters and others. Finding a truly high quality coin requires much more than looking at and accepting a number or “FH” descriptor printed on a slab.

(The coin shown has some weak spots, most noticeably the letter “I” on the obverse. I usually look for reverse strike quality first, then turn the coin over and see what date it is. Usually, the reverse will be nice and the obverse looks like a tank ran over it. Now, if I just had the 1927-D double eagle to go with this dollar….)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file