Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Rolls of halves? Why? The tellers pick out all the silver." heh,heh

OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
I have been going through straps of two dollar bills for the last few months and haven't bothered with half dollar rolls. This particular day they bank was out of twos so I turned to leave and then thought to ask if they had any rolls of halves. The message title was the teller's response. "I'll take them anyway" I replied. As the rolls were placed on the counter I noticed something right away:

I stated "I couldn't be that lucky." The teller mumbled "What?". "Nothing" I replied.

Not wanting be disappointed I headed home without peeking. When I got home I slowly undid the end of one of the marked rolls:

Whoo Hooo!!!!

Then I opened the other:

Whoo Hoo Number two!!!

The others proved to be picked over as promised. These two slipped through. A nice way to end the day!

Comments

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice haul!!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Congrats, they look like nice AU/BU coins too.

This would definitely be the time these coins would come out of the woodwork.

BTW- You Suck image
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

<< <i>they look like nice AU/BU coins too. >>

There are a number of nice looking coins in the haul.

My very first "You Suck" Thanks!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You suck!image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ten times face and gas prices are down. It was a trip worth taking.
  • Options
    Way to go!

I have had an account at the same branch of BoA for more than 25 years (it was under different names, but most of the staff remained the same), and the tellers have no problem with ordering $500 boxes of halves and/or quarters for me, and they take the re-rolled coins back with no complaints. The quarters are always in shrink-wrapped rolls, so it is easy to spot the silver coins without opening the rolls just by looking at the edges. It would take less than an hour, and then I would take them right back to the bank.

If I were to give anyone a "You Suck!", it would have to be the manager of one of our neighborhood Circle K's who banks at the same branch. About two years ago, I had ordered two boxes of halves and two boxes of quarters. I place the order on Monday and pick them up on Thursday. That particular Thursday, I could have been waiting at the bank's door when they opened at 9:00am, but I was fooling around on one of the message boards instead. I strolled in at 9:15, got the boxes and returned home. I checked the quarters, first. Shucks, no silver! I spent some time checking a few of the paper-rolled halves before I took the quarters back to the bank at about 1:00pm, and that is when Laurie, the head teller, told me what happened. The manager of the Circle K came in at 9:10 to pick up his order of two boxes of quarters. Around 11:30, he was back at the bank asking if they had another box of quarters that they could spare. Laurie had taken care of him both times, and she acted surprised that he could have used up $500 in quarters in such a short time. The manager told her that when he opened the first box, he discovered that the top row of rolls were all silver. He checked the other rolls, and it turned out that they were all silver (the second box was all clad.)

Since I have dealt with that branch for so long a time, I am familiar with their procedure when they receive orders for customers. Specific boxes are not reserved for any particular customer. Instead, all of the "special" orders are kept in a separate stack from those that the bank routinely utilizes for their day-to-day transactions. When those customers arrive to get their order, the boxes are taken from the top of the stack. So, if I hadn't been fooling around on the computer that morning...............................

Chris
  • Options
    I think a "you suck" is in orderimage
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    you suck!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Good haul image
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I just love to read stories like this!

Very nice sucking haul! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file