Old school, f-12. New inflated system, vf-20. Walkers and Buffalos went through gradeflation in the 90's. It used to be that unless there was a full bust line (or full horn tip) it wasn't vf. Now those are graded xf.
Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire
I think VF20 is reasonable even though I would like to see alittle more feather detail on the reverse. I think the obverse is reasonable for the date and grade. Rarely would someone make this comment about a 1921-s WLH
Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.
I was actually thinking reverse is borderline VF, so maybe a F15. Obverse is a solid 20 though and because it's a semi-key and very original looking, I went with 20 anyways.
<< <i>Old school, f-12. New inflated system, vf-20. Walkers and Buffalos went through gradeflation in the 90's. It used to be that unless there was a full bust line (or full horn tip) it wasn't vf. Now those are graded xf. >>
There is a difference between the 1916-1923 WLH design... OLD school or not, the obverse is VF20 for a Walker dated 1916-23, especially if it were a 1923-s. the bigger issue with this coin is the reverse.
Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with PCGS on this one. I believe it is a Fine, and very close to VF, but doesn't quite make it. It appears in these images that the breastplate is not fully outlined, and the left leg is flat. I believe that the reverse is a nice fine, too. I'm using the ANA grading standards, 6th edition, as written, not their poor photos. The PCGS standards, as published, for Walkers are so vague as to be almost useless. I think this is an example of a market upgrade. I also think it is a really nice coin.
Again, some are nitpicking with one specific location, the breast outline. OVERALL, the coin looks VF-20 to me. The breast outline is weak but strong enough to warrant the VF-20 grade, but this shouldn't be the ONLY factor to focus on anyway. "Old school" grading was often clumsy, lacking finer shades of gray.
One of the most important aspects of coin grading is exactly what "veryfine" just mentioned. I took Advanced Garding at the ANA last summer and in the begining i was doing just what some have said here on this thread. I was focusing all my attention on one spot on the coin. You have to look at the WHOLE coin together.
Agreed... one must look at the whole coin. In this instance, one must also recognize the difference between the 1923 and earlier Walkers and those that were struck later. Basically, the relief is different and the approach to grading these coins must be reflected in the grading standard. Grading is not a one size fits all approach.
Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.
When I first looked at it I couldn't decide whether I wanted to say "reasonable 20" or "very nice 15" ...
I think I would have choosen 18, but I'm not sure that is a number used
The coin is very nice no matter the grade, and I agree (like the dimes and quartrs from the era also), that grading is not always a one-size fits all game
“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”
I bought this one at a small show a few months back as a Fine, and paid strong "Fine" money ($250) for it w/o dickering. Turned down $100 profit from the first dealer I showed it to, and later sold it to a knowledgeable forum member for substantially more, and he was thrilled to get it at that price.
I would have guessed VF-25 however WL halves are not my best subjects. I really like the looks of that one and wouldn,t mind having a set of 1921 halves (P,D,S) with that same look. I think that it is a nice eye-appealing (at least for a 1921-s) coin. JMO. Bob
Comments
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.
Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.
Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire
Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.
I wish I could find a 20D that look like that
<< <i>Old school, f-12. New inflated system, vf-20. Walkers and Buffalos went through gradeflation in the 90's. It used to be that unless there was a full bust line (or full horn tip) it wasn't vf. Now those are graded xf. >>
Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.
"Old school" grading was often clumsy, lacking finer shades of gray.
Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.
I think I would have choosen 18, but I'm not sure that is a number used
The coin is very nice no matter the grade, and I agree (like the dimes and quartrs from the era also), that
grading is not always a one-size fits all game
“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”
Todd - BHNC #242