Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New member says Hello!

Hello!
I've been enjoying the regular read and nice pics of some fantastic coins on here for quite some time. I thought it might be time to finally join in on the fun.
A bit about me:
I have collected many different types of US coins at one time or another and, to some extent, still do. I am now living in Australia and am building a bit of a collection here too. (Be nice - I really am an American from way back - first line of us arrived in Philadelphia in 1732). Moved here so my wife (ultimate souvenir from final USAF assignment) could be with her family.
Anyway, retired USAF and glad to be a member.

I said basically the same thing on the U.S. Coin Forum, but I'm sort of a Darksider now too, I suppose.
Collecting all Pre-Decimal Aussie coins and newer $1 mint issues (amongst others)

Thanks for having me!
Stub

Comments

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    One of my favourites...
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Welcome to the boards.image
  • Options

Have fun!
    Jim
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    image You'll like it here!
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Welcome and thanks for serving in the USAF! I appreciate my freedom and applaud you and my father for making sure it is a right of mine to claim through your service for our country even if you are now living in the land down under. May your coin finds be as equally beautiful to you as to the woman who moved you across an ocean!

Have a happy and good luck in the searches of the coins down Yonder for your collection...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    Welcome
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    welcome to the group!
  • Options
    Welcome. Enjoy the Darkside!
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome and great user name...

I like pre decimal Australian and look for it when I have the chance

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Welcome and G'day!

Here's a pre-decimal from across the ditch:

imageimage

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Welcome!
    If you've been lurking for some time you know what you're in for! image
    But I'm sure you'll be glad you took the plunge and signed up.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Welcome, enjoy your stay. I like your half sovereign.image
  • Options
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    image -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    image to the Darkside.
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome ....to the DARKSIDE.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Welcome to the darkside. I think you will find the darkside a better forum then the lite side. Bring on the questions , so the rest of us can learn things too. Olmanjon from new york
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    image to the Darkside! I think you'll enjoy it around here image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    I would like to add my hello and welcome to the group - quite peaceful here.
    Shep
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the posting side of the forum! I'm still fairly new myself, and it's addictive...much like the habit of actually buying coins!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options

<< <i>Anyway, retired USAF and glad to be a member. >>

From a former Jarhead to the retired Flyboy, image
  • Options

<< <i>One of my favourites...
    image >>

Stub,
    Welcome aboard! That is a very nice Sydney Mint 1/2 Sovereign that you have got there.I picked up a pretty worn 1865 Sydney Mint 1/2 Sovereign back in 2000 off my boss for basically bullion value.Only a few months later,my boss's twin brother told me that it was a pretty scarce coin.

Aidan.
  • Options
    Aidan,
    That's pretty much about the time I bought this one. Got it off of ebay from a fellow in Newfoundland or Nova Scotia, I think. Evidently, it was part of a bunch of Sovereigns and Half Sovs that were found in an old jar inside of the wall of an old house they were tearing down, or something like that. I can't remember exactly how the story went, but I got it pretty cheap.
    I was buying a lot of Australian sovs and half sovs around then, but have since sold them all off - except this one. I was buying common dates in ms condition for $75-$100 each. Now, melt is nearly $200US.
    I think they are neat coins with a bit of history tossed in!

Thanks to everyone for the Welcomes. Glad to be here!

Stub
  • Options
    Stub,
    I did have a very worn Newfoundland 1872 gold $2 coin in my collection that was also ring-mounted on the edge.Unfortunately,my flat was broken into back in 2002,& it was among the coins that weren't recovered.

I'm amazed that Aussie gold turned up in Canada.Have you ever picked up a Canadian Sovereign? How much are they going for these days? I've been trying to find one,but no-one over here in New Zealand has the Sovereigns from Canada,India,or South Africa.If it isn't British,it is always the Aussie ones that turn up.

I've got a few British Commonwealth gold coins.The last one I bought was an AH1427 (2006) 1/4 Dinar from Kelantan,which I bought off a dealer who lives part-time in Sydney & part-time in Indonesia whose name is Paul Neumann.He loves travelling around the Far East,especially up into Malaysia.He was visiting Kelantan mainly just to buy a few gold coins.

If you want to get in touch with me off the board,you can find my email address when you click the glasses symbol,& a tombstone pop-up will appear.

Aidan.