Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Proper Protocol when Item Not as Described?

I bought a 1 ounce gold Panda off ebay. I looked at the picture provided. I liked the coin. Paid for it and then it arrived.

The coin did not look the same as in the picture. I inquired about it and the seller told me that he used a photo of another coin so he can sell all the gold Pandas he has. He never put it in his description that he was using a "stock" photo. I told him I relied on the picture. He did not think it was a big deal. He offered a refund. I did send it back and he gave my money back via paypal, but not the shipping. This was not my mistake since I did not get the coin offered in the auction. Shouldn't he have to pay for return shipping? Ebay guidelines states that if actual picture is not used, then it must be stated as such.
Why should I have to pay for return shipping on something that violated ebay guidelines?
Right now, I got my money for the coin back. The auction site in My Ebay now states that I have an outstanding item I need to pay for. I guess the ebay page cannot distinguish what a non-payment is compared to a refund.
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Did you pay more a fair price or a premium for the coin? -Dan
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I paid $1020 for the coin within the past few weeks, so it was not a bargain, but with the MS Cashback, it became a moderate deal--definately not a bargain.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    Give the seller a negative.
    If he gets enough negs, he'll knock off the nonsense.
    According to the Ebay rules, he can't use a picture of a different coin.

Ray
  • Options
    That may be a little hard on the seller. What did his return policy state? Most I have seen and all I have dealt with never refunds shipping costs.

If the auction said the above, I would not leave a negative him. I might not leave any feedback or at the very worse a nuetral.

Just my opinion of course.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    German Ghost ... I would give the seller a Neut. with a comment :Coin recvd not as pictured. Stock photo's..coin returned..credit recvd, less s/h
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I hate stock photos!! Alot of high volume ebay sellers do this to save time or money. Totally lame in my book.
    When I bid I always inquire if the coin pictured wil be the coin recieved.
  • Options

<< <i>German Ghost ... I would give the seller a Neut. with a comment :Coin recvd not as pictured. Stock photo's..coin returned..credit recvd, less s/h >>

I would agree with this if he did not state it was a stock photo and did not return your shipping charges.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    Maybe a negative would be too hostile, but I like what OPA stated. He had a perfect 100% feedback which is why I dealt with him in the first place.

I really did not like that he never offered shipping money. He initially wanted to give a partial refund, but I told him I never would have bought the coin--that was the main issue with me.
    I want to email him to refund the shipping charges, but since I do not buy coins often, I wanted to see what the normal protocol is so that I don't do anything unreasonable. It was such a hassle to ship the coin back as the post office was strict on how it should be packed--they did not want me to use tape, glue only.

• Options
    Here is their refund policy:

Refund Policy:
    Everything refunded except shipping and insurance charges plus applicable credit card fees if paid directly to us with a credit card. Items must be returned in original condition along with appraisals, certifications, etc. that were shipped with them.

But the thing is that they did not announce their picture was a stock photo. They violated ebay rules, so this policy does not apply now that I am calling them on it.

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I would just charge it to experience and move on (since I got the bulk of the expense back).
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I would complain to ebay for the stock photo and give him a neutral, then move on. I personally would have negotiated a fair reimbursement to you so I wouldn't have to touch the coin again. But, I am a better and fairer business person than the seller you dealt with. He is an idiot for doing such a thing. -Dan
  • Options
    I guess you all side with my sentiments to varying degrees.

• Options
    I emailed the guy one more time and he agreed to refund my shipping charges. I left him a positive because he eventually made good on an unintentional mistake.

I sympathize with mistakes and would give the seller a chance to correct it because that's the kind of seller everyone wants is the type that will make good on things.

I also gave him 5 stars on the DSR, except for the item as described section (I left 3 stars on that). I don't know if that deserved 5 stars because he remedied the mistake or it was something I had to judge at face value. I am uncertain about that one, but its done. At least he got a positive overall.

So, you guys that sell stuff on ebay... was this a good way of handling it? I gave the guy reasonable chances to come through instead of just proceeding with the neg or neut bomb. I think the results worked out good this way.

• Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825

<< <i>German Ghost ... I would give the seller a Neut. with a comment :Coin recvd not as pictured. Stock photo's..coin returned..credit recvd, less s/h >>

• Options
    UPDATE

The seller emails me an alert to cancel the transaction because I requested a refund. Is this something good or bad. Should I just accept the seller's request of canceling the transaction since that's the proper step to take? I never got something like this before so any advice is appreciated.

• Options

<< <i>UPDATE

The seller emails me an alert to cancel the transaction because I requested a refund. Is this something good or bad. Should I just accept the seller's request of canceling the transaction since that's the proper step to take? I never got something like this before so any advice is appreciated. >>

At a guess, I think he wants his fees back, and this is what ebay makes him do. But it could be something else.

Personally I wouldn't bother, a seller making me return an item is very annnoying (it's going to cost at least an hour of my time), so I don't personally see any reason to waste more time to finding exactly what the cancellation means. Just ignore it.
  • Options
    I could ignore it, but I just worry what consequences there are for me, if any. He already left postive feedback for me, so I think I am out of the woods.

Let me see what others have to say. I think you are right about it being to get fees back. If it is that, I would just take the high road and do it. I know its annoying returning an item, but he is definately not one of the worst sellers I encountered.

• Options

<< <i>UPDATE

The seller emails me an alert to cancel the transaction because I requested a refund. >>

Was the email from the seller or from eBay?
  • Options
    The seller emailed me via ebay. When I log on to Ebay, it already tells me that I have an alert.

• Options

<< <i>The seller emailed me via ebay. When I log on to Ebay, it already tells me that I have an alert. >>

If the seller files for a refund of the fees due to a cancelled transaction, eBay sends an email to the buyer along with posting a notice in the buyer's My eBay messages to confirm that the transaction was actually cancelled by mutual agreement. If the buyer does confirm this, the seller gets his final value fee (but not the listing fee) refunded.