Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Incredible Rube Page

Well , I know I am not alone in saying that Randy is just one incredible collector , one look at his threads will show ya that , oh and his name under his Avatar is correct as well ,

***** Master Collector *****

Anyway , Randy knew my son's birthday was coming up and as he always has he sent him an absolutely mind blowing gift , Yesteday he got a package and right away he knew who it came from , though I wasn't here to see his initial reaction, my wife told me all about it , him running all through the house screamin OMG, OMG look what Randy sent me !, calling up all his friends to check it out , then he called me and even though I already knew it was coming I was still excited image

A PSA graded 1954 Bowman Mickey Mantle was hiding in the package that Randy sent for my son , it is a PSA 1 , but only because probably the prevoius owner had pinned it to the wall , the card is otherwise perfect and for people that have no intention on reselling , it is as good as a PSA 10 , just to have this card is amazing as , we do not have any original Mickey mantles in this hous , well until Yesterday image

That on top of all of the 1950 Bowman Football , the 1941 Playball , countless autographed cards , countless boxes of baseball cards , all of the Pins , Medals , coins , military patches , the airplane he made with his own hands and the list goes on , I know I am forgetting things image but he has sent so much it is hard to keep track .

Thank you once again randy , for making my boy happy on his Birthday . . .LOL and meeee tooooo .

Comments

• Options
    P.S. Lawnmowerman . . . .
    I know what's in the Box . . .
    I know what's in the Box . ..
    I know what's in the box . . . . . . . .
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Randy is a unique breed and special character...with amazing collectible sensibilities and determination. He's surprised me with bubble mailers of goodies on multiple occasions, just recently a bubble mailer of Frank Thomas cards that was lost in the mail for nearly 6 weeks, but finally made its way to my doorstep.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>P.S. Lawnmowerman . . . .
    I know what's in the Box . . .
    I know what's in the Box . ..
    I know what's in the box . . . . . . . . >>

Randy is a GREAT guy! image
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow what a nice gesture! I know Randy doesnt want all this attention for this but he deserves some major props image

Nice job Randy.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    jesus randy.

i guess the case of Dannon Yogurt u sent me for my birthday isn't so meaningful anymore....

sadly
    j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Wow, that card has nice eye appeal even with the pinhole! I will join the chorus about Randy and his great collector spirit. He gave me some good advise on where to go to get TTM auto addresses this Summer. He is a great source of information and is happy to help anyone out.

Thanks for keeping collecting fun, Rube!image

Robert
  • Options
    He really is a special man . ..
    Constantly giving , in so many ways .

I have to say though , viewing all of his threads , the things I love the most are his Old Military uniforms , in absolutely perfect condition , those to me are very interesting on so many levels , to think about the men that wore them and the action they have seen , they're all still locked up in the fabric and no-one could ever remove them . . .I think about those uniforms deeply , almost as if it were a time machine , all of the cards , and autographs are really nice , but those uniforms seem to shake me into thought .
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean, if I'm ever in WV, I hope he'll let me stop by the Rubecave because I'd love to see his museum.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    It really does have great eye appeal , it is too bad about the pin hole but as I have said it isn't going anywhere so it really don't matter I'm just floored , absolutely floored he would send my son such a wonderful and thoughtful gift and I know he don't like the attention , but I can't help it,

I'm still trying to figure out what we did to deserve such a friend ?
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Randy is so kind he gave me crabs.

What an incredible gift! Randy, you are 1st class all the way!
  • Options
    "I know what you mean, if I'm ever in WV, I hope he'll let me stop by the Rubecave because I'd love to see his museum."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indeed , His museum is far beter than some we visit and pay money to see and that is what it really is , a museum , there are so many different things he collects , there are so many different things he does . . .LOL, especially under the cover of darkness , but we won't go there image
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Many props to Randy. It is nice to hear stories like this when most of the threads are about getting ripped off or overgraded ebay purchases.
    Way To Go Randy

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    That is true Mealeworm, too often you hear stories like that , this is one of the reasons I made this post , there is still a lot of good in a lot of people , however few in comparison .

I really don't know anyone who would "GIVE" a card like this away , not to mention the countless other cards and stuff he has sent in the past .

My son woke up this morning and went to look for the card, I said whatcha doin man , he told me . . .

" I just wanted to make sure I wasn't having a dream "

Now that says so much in just a few little words , it lets you know a lot about what a 10 yr old kid thinks of such a gift , i know a lot of kids that would have got this card and just basically ignored it , thinkin , oh it's just some old card , but my son does have a special appreciation for stuff like this and I think Randy knows it .
  • Options
    Truly a grand gesture. Randy is the best, and I'll punch anybody in the face who says different. Who just goes around sending Mantle cards to people?

TNT- I'll give you $150 for it. Paypal ready, LMK.

Lee
  • Options
    Amazing, Randy your a dying breed! Awesome!
  • Options
    "Truly a grand gesture. Randy is the best, and I'll punch anybody in the face who says different. Who just goes around sending Mantle cards to people?

TNT- I'll give you $150 for it. Paypal ready, LMK."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL @ punching someone in the face who says different .

I don't think anyone can say different , unless they're on some serious medication , as for the card , thanks for the offer Lee , but # 1 it isn't mine .

#2 It came from a good friend and just became his single most favorite baseball card he would never let it go .
  • Options
    A hero in every sense of the word.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    Now I need to figure out what to get a man , who seemingly has everything !

And not look stupid doing it image

We got his B-Day coming up on 27
    And Christmas not too far down the road .

Any help is truely appreciated too , feel free to give me some ideas
  • Options
    Randy gets two thumbs up... imageimage

And a wag of the finger for makin the rest of us look bad. image
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very generous of you Rube. Cool looking Mantle card. Sounds like it found a great new homeimage
  • Options
    Very nice, TNT! Randy is one of a kind, with no doubt. What a good guy. image
  • Options

<< <i>Truly a grand gesture. Randy is the best, and I'll punch anybody in the face who says different. >>

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Randy image
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Nice job Randy!

One of the most generous & funniest cats on these boards.

Mike
  • Options
    a class act.

He sent me a dozen high numbers i needed to complete my 1961 topps set no charge. and they werent beaters either.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Randy is always somehow associated with the best threads on these boards. That was very generous of you Randy. You make it a better place here.
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    Really WOW. What a nice thing to do. I am speachless. Way to go Randy. chaz
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Wow, what a super sweet gift that is!

I guess underneath all that camouflage lies a heart of gold.

You rock Randy! image

I hope your boy had a great birthday TNT. From what you wrote, sounds like he had one of his best ever.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    I hope Randy doesnt read this thread and say " I DID WHAT?!!" LOL

I am sure this isnt the case as Randy has taken the time to help me with some addresses for autographs and other information this past year. He has always been willing to help me out and I consider him one of the best things about this board!!

You are the best Randy!!
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    Randy,my bday is Dec 19 and I sure would like a machine gun or grenade launcher if you have any extrasimage

Lou
    Collecting Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell cards.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    A+, as always
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Randy,my bday is Dec 19 and I sure would like a machine gun or grenade launcher if you have any extras
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL, now that right there is funny ,
    Have you ever seen his walls !?

He's got all kinds of Crazy weapons hangin on his walls , I remeber seeing a grenade launcher , I think he uses that to hunt beaver , rabbit and the occasional possum .

I also remember seeing an AK hangin on the wall with a bunch of old Flags and a bandolier . . . .man all kinds of war stuff , I'm telin ya , it is like a museum ! probably even better , imagine what I haven't seen . . . LOL, that is the scary part , Imagine the secretive stuff , Like ears . . .teeth , and scalp collections

• Options
    Awesome gesture Randy!
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    sorry just seen this , been packing up 500,000 card in O-FBR-2 boxes for guys for 15.00 a pop,sure didnt think they would go this quick, thanx guys for the kudos, and for the crabs barry, (it was the other way aroundimage
    i know whats in that box thats funny anthony, you should open in matt, i cant stand not to open something, unless its a 88 donruss box pack lol

back to sorting cards for ther b/s/t/ extraziganza, ive sold 17 boxes of fb and baseball now in a day, im running out of packing stuff lol, i need to steal a bagladys bags bad!!!!!!!!!!
    paul-clayton bigby, im tellin ya,i heard he sent you somethingimage
    glad lil anthony like it tnt, my dad never gave me anything but a see ya, and i dont remember that lol
    all i remeber is em calling me at base and asking what they wanted me to do with him when he was on life support, told em i didnt really care, dont come begging after 45 years for me to do someting to a guy that was supposed to be my dad i saw twice or so in my whole lifeimage old peckerhead image
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Rube,

I salute you, my friend, for an absolutely astonishing gift to a very appreciate young man.

What I find special about that particular card is thinking that another young man, probably 50+ years ago, also must have loved that same card enough to poke a couple of holes in it just to display it on his bedroom wall.

My father NEVER let me do that with any of my Mantles back then. I do remember tacking a few Aarons and Clementes though.

Truly a great gesture from a great guy!

You are a
    image & a Class Act!

PoppaJ

• Options
    ii once shook hands with Pat Boone and got drunk for a week for alcohol seepage
    good timesimage
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Bravo Randy.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    I absoultely agree. A Mickey Mantle is still a Mickey Mantle. And I thought it was exciting getting my first Willie Mays (1971) card. image I'll soon be getting my second one (1972) sometime this week. They're both 7s, BTW.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Way to go Randy!!!!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Randy,

I am pretty new to these boards, but I just wanted to say what a class act that was sending this young man that MANTLE card. I am sure he is going to remember opening up that package for the rest of his life.

Stay Healthy!

Doug
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    hi doug,im the board psycho, thanx lol-im a nice guy though,99% of the time lolimage
    im kinda hard to forget- some people try thoughimage
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Wow, what a class act Rube!! Sorry your relationship with your father wasn't the greatest, but it definitely hasn't hardened your heart of your soul. Great thread in light of the holidays coming.

Brian

• Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Once again a fellow collector brings smiles and and turns around the mood of these message boards after several threads had enflamed some.

Randy, you truly show that the hobby has "good" people who help spread the joy of collecting.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Rube is just ok. I've seen better.

image J/k - heck of a gesture Randy!
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>hi doug,im the board psycho, thanx lol-im a nice guy though,99% of the time lolimage >>

Yeah you're a psycho...but still the man!
    Mad Props Randy!
  • Options
    rubenap- ill be back- that was arnold, i know, i suck ,ill goto bed now and dream of my 52 yogi in shreds somewhereimage

<Now I need to figure out what to get a man , who seemingly has everything !>

i dont need anything tnt, i have my health, sort of , half my hair, and my old age starting thanksgiving, im blessed & cursed at the same time just to be alive lol-long story-you all can read about it one day
    i have my own stocked bar wth 40+ year old stuff in it, a stove, tv , wood, a bar again, and 2 cats that sleep on my head, and a old lady that puts up with me the best she can by leaving me alone image

i wanted to get it to him ealier but i couldnt find yur addy and didnt want to go thru pages of pms,and combat arms just makes me mad any more, real combat start tomorrow- hunting season, i popped me one off the roof last week right in neck, im not trailing deer anymore, shoot em right by rubecave, much easier.goats dont like it much though,got me a 6 point, and some new knife handle stock to bootimage
  • Options
    did i mention my birthday is the 10th of december and i collect 52 mantles...ha ha jk

wow what an amazing gift to give....i think that is just amazing..you rock rube!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    wow. i've never dealt with randy, but i continue to read of the many good things he does. this was a great story.

thanks randy.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    Randy is truly one of a kind and a great guy. image