Home Metal Detecting

Fence jumping!

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am soooo tempted to do some fence jumping in San Francisco! There's a fenced in demo'd lot just sitting there. I'm not selfish- it's a few blocks up from Market and Church st, on Market. (I never did find a cross road sign until a few blocks down)

Just thinking outloud here; what's the worst that could happen? "Hey you, get out of there!" I mean, it's obvious what I'm doing. I'll have all my clothes on, no weapons, and I won't be doing drugs. I will politely leave when asked.

Ugh.. temptation!
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• I really hope you are joking....
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask Permission First. That's what gives the rest of us a bad name.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not joking. You guys know what I'm talkin' about. Once you're a detectorist, you never look at things like empty lots the same again.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • You metal detect with your clothes on?
    I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
  • demo hunting has gotten tougher as the years go by. contractors are increasingly more paranoid about outsiders getting hurt on the job site. i have, but no longer hop fences. i know of several locations i'd love to hit, but will move on because of the fences.
    there's still projects where they leave the fence gates open or don't erect fences at all. those are the ones i go to. certain cities do NOT like fence jumpers(santa clara). sometimes just asking permission will get you in. most times, workers suggest coming back after they leave.

for those of us who live in the bay area, please think about how your actions can affect all of us.
  • ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    get permission!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real easy to just ask permission.... Cheers, RickO

<< <i>You metal detect with your clothes on? >>

Am I doing it wrong!? image
  • BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I wouldn't jump the fence... when I lived in Ohio most of the detectorists would hit public demo/construction sites that weren't fenced off, but would ask permission for private land and fenced off public land. Often but not always it was granted - the two times it wasn't were like the cases demodigger mentioned - the contractors feared liability if someone was injured, despite our promises that any accidents would be our own fault. A shame too, because both of these would have been excellent sites; in one case, the contractor happily told us about all of the old bottles they had smashed up... but it isn't worth the damage you can do to the hobby if you decide to jump the fence without permission.
    I went back to the lot I had spied-- it had a 12 ft fence! I did not hop that one. Way too tall. image

• You could always dig a tunnel under the fence, I mean, maybe you'll find a coin on the way.

Just kidding, the obvious solution is to pole volt over the fence.

Just kidding again.
    I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I know what you mean.

The temptation to jump fences is very strong in some places.

You'd better not succumb to it, though, or you might find fences (or bars) around YOU. If you know what I mean.

Get permission, and some of those fences might open for you. Otherwise, keep clear. There are plenty of spots that can be hunted legally, without having to worry about having your detector and/or vehicle confiscated and yourself thrown in jail, while making things harder on yourself and others.

A lot of the detecting bans out there were created because of fence jumpers and sloppy or greedy folks who didn't respect the property of others.

(But yeah, I know what you mean about the temptation. Just don't go there.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.