Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Just announced: Pujols NL MVP

Where does he stand in among all-time greats?

Career stats

Year Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
2001 STL 161 590 112 194 47 4 37 130 69 93 1 3 .329 .403 .610 1.013
2002 STL 157 590 118 185 40 2 34 127 72 69 2 4 .314 .394 .561 .955
2003 STL 157 591 137 212 51 1 43 124 79 65 5 1 .359 .439 .667 1.106
2004 STL 154 592 133 196 51 2 46 123 84 52 5 5 .331 .415 .657 1.072
2005 STL 161 591 129 195 38 2 41 117 97 65 16 2 .330 .430 .609 1.039
2006 STL 143 535 119 177 33 1 49 137 92 50 7 2 .331 .431 .671 1.102
2007 STL 158 565 99 185 38 1 32 103 99 58 2 6 .327 .429 .568 .997
2008 STL 148 524 100 187 44 0 37 116 104 54 7 3 .357 .462 .653 1.114

Austin
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21

Comments

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Glad to see that they the MVP voting correct!
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Where does he stand in among all-time greats? >>

He'll be in the HoF with them eventually.

He's had an amazing career so far. In 8 years, he's never hit fewer than 32 hrs or drove in fewer than 103 rbi, and never batted under .314.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    Is he the only person to ever start his first eight seasons by going .300+ 30HR+ 100RBI+?
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    i do admire his numbers, incredibly proficient.
    but the man-love he receives around here prevents me from truly appreciating his stats.

j
    RIP GURU
  • well it was either him, or Braun or Fatboy that was gonna win. At least him whining will stop some PUJOLS manlovers from killing themselves of the perception of him being slighted.
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    Will he accept the award?

Edited to add: Don't get me wrong, I feel he deserves to be the NL MVP this season. However, he spoke so strongly 2 years ago, that I wonder if he'll accept the award or return it because he didn't carry his team to the playoffs.
    Interesting Article!

• << <i>Is he the only person to ever start his first eight seasons by going .300+ 30HR+ 100RBI+? >>

Yes, he is the only one in the history of MLB.

Congratulations to Albert Pujols!image
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    Pujols is the man. He deserves it. Don't hate, congratulate.
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i killed a gopher with a stickimage
  • thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i killed a gopher with a stickimage >>

Dinner???? image
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• << <i>i killed a gopher with a stickimage >>

Rube = WV MVP
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    i do admire his numbers, incredibly proficient.
    but the man-love he receives around here prevents me from truly appreciating his stats.

True.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    image Congrats to Albert on another MVP season.

Brian
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That man-love thing active in this forum tends to worry me.

• I'm not a Pujols hatter but I still think he is 36 or 37 years old.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Howard got robbed..........

lol J/K

Congrats to Albert.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • "I see it this way: Someone who doesn't take his team to the playoffs doesn't deserve to win the MVP"

That may be my new sig
  • Someone explain to me how Lincecum wins the Cy Young award but finishes 4th among pitchers in the MVP voting.
  • So I am just wondering, if Pujols retires today, would he make it to the Hall bases on 8 years of work?

Austin
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21

<< <i>So I am just wondering, if Pujols retires today, would he make it to the Hall bases on 8 years of work? >>

Nope. A player needs to play for 10 years before he gets considered for the Hall of Fame.

• << <i>I'm not a Pujols hatter but I still think he is 36 or 37 years old. >>

Keep dreaming..image

• << <i>

<< <i>So I am just wondering, if Pujols retires today, would he make it to the Hall bases on 8 years of work? >>

Nope. A player needs to play for 10 years before he gets considered for the Hall of Fame. >>

Yeah, you are correct. 2 more years of decent numbers, and I say he is pretty much a lock for the HOF, with a World Series title, 2 MVP's, a batting title, and the .334 career average.
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    good all my rookie card wil lgo up:,gotta find all my a-rods too ThumbsUp;
    now to find them again, i got psa boxes full of stuff i sent in, its better that way, i hide stuff from meimage
  • Pujols could probably get in now if he were to retire for medical reasons, similar to the Kirby Puckett rule. Same reason I think Mattingly deserves to get in.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    This just in;

Ryan Howard eats Albert Pujols and takes his MVP award.

GET IN MY BELLY!!

<< <i>Pujols could probably get in now if he were to retire for medical reasons, similar to the Kirby Puckett rule. >>

Puckett had a 12 year career though.

• fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    From a Cub fan congrats to Albert and redemption for all the years Bonds stole the award from him.

• << <i>From a Cub fan congrats to Albert and redemption for all the years Bonds stole the award from him. >>

Very well said sir.

Congrats to Ryan Howard on having a monster season, and winning the world series.....

the same thing happened to Pujols in 2006, he hit 49 HR had 137 RBI, AND batted .331 , his team MADE the playoffs (won the WS), and he came in 2nd in MVP vote....

i think they got it right this year......

cant wait to see Pujols with a healthy elbow......

Here's to 2009, Cheers!

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is he the only person to ever start his first eight seasons by going .300+ 30HR+ 100RBI+? >>

I think he is the only player to ever start his first TWO seasons by going .300+, 30 HR+, and 100 RBI's +

Shane

• swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Howard was robbed...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    robbed you say?

mike greenwell & jeff kent were robbed sir.

j
    RIP GURU

• << <i>robbed you say?

mike greenwell & jeff kent were robbed sir.

j >>

if greenwell was robbed by Canseco, then Pujols was robbed THREE times by Baroid Bondz....
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Just to throw this out there...Thomas was robbed by Giambi...Congrats to Pujols.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

• << <i>Just to throw this out there...Thomas was robbed by Giambi...Congrats to Pujols. >>

good point G......

and the Yanks were robbed by Giambi BIGTIME....

we should get a list of MVP winners who are KNOWN steroid users and make up a contingent MVP list....kind of like an alternate history....
    11 more homers...
    30 more RBI's

and a ring...

still got robbed....a few more first place votes to at least make it close...

- uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Great numbers he does have. Congratulations! Can he run down a deep fly ball to center like Griffey?

• << <i>11 more homers...
    30 more RBI's

and a ring...

still got robbed....a few more first place votes to at least make it close... >>

Howard was not robbed. Far from it. He was not as deserving as Pujols. Clearly.. If Howard had won, I believe he would have had the lowest batting average of any MVP, ever. That .339 on base % of Howard's looks pretty rough as well.

Pujols had a batting average that was 106 points higher, his slugging % was 110 points higher, his on base was 123 points higher, Pujols had more extra base hits than Howard, and struck out 145 fewer times than Howard.

P.S. Pujols got a ring in 2006, but I sure didn't hear you Philly fans saying Pujols was the most deserving MVP back then. image
  • EstilEstil Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, Mr. Pujols is already halfway on hits and over 60% the way on HR's in terms of clinching his HOF plaque. image
    WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars

<< <i>P.S. Pujols got a ring in 2006, but I sure didn't hear you Philly fans saying Pujols was the most deserving MVP back then. image >>

Yep...it was Pujols, himself, saying it back then. See my sig.

• << <i>

<< <i>P.S. Pujols got a ring in 2006, but I sure didn't hear you Philly fans saying Pujols was the most deserving MVP back then. image >>

Yep...it was Pujols, himself, saying it back then. See my sig. >>

His words were twisted around, and he even spoke about it today in his conference call.

EDITED: By putting that in your sig, you know it can/will cause friction, but I think that's what you are looking for. image
  • Gumby,

Here is the article, just so you can read it for yourself.

Pujols on 2006 MVP
    for the second year in a row Howard picks his team up and puts them on his back and catapults them into the post-season....If that is not the definition of an MVP I don't think I know what is....

- uncut

• << <i>for the second year in a row Howard picks his team up and puts them on his back and catapults them into the post-season....If that is not the definition of an MVP I don't think I know what is.... >>

Pujols has done that for many years, and some cheater named Bonds won the MVP on several occasions. Pujols kept the Cards in the playoff hunt this year until about the last 2 weeks, when the pitching and position players all started dropping off like flies due to injuries. They had to start guys like little Aaron Miles as the outfielders due to injuries. The lineup got pretty pathetic the last couple of weeks. Without Pujols, St Louis would have been a last place team this year, but with him carrying the team, they finished 10 games over .500.
  • I think it should be a requirement that you at least hit your weight to win the MVP. That way we know Ryan Howard will never win again.

<< <i>

<< <i>

His words were twisted around, and he even spoke about it today in his conference call.

EDITED: By putting that in your sig, you know it can/will cause friction, but I think that's what you are looking for. image >>

Hey, welcome back Stantheman. I thought you had said you were leaving. image

The article you linked to (at least the way I read it) just says that he's angry that his words, spoken in the Dominican, came out in the media here and that he apologizes for disrespecting Ryan Howard. I'm sure he didn't mean any ill will toward Ryan Howard, personally, but I really believe he thought (thinks) that the MVP should come from a playoff team. (unless of course his team doesn't make it to the playoffs)

As I said earlier in the thread, I think he deserved the award this year and I congratulate him for getting it. I'm just curious if he has changed his feelings about the MVP worthiness of a non-playoff player or if he'll be giving the award back.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    congrats to this year's MVP. He put up very worthy numbers, especially considering his elbow. I applaud his year, although I also have to wonder how he feels about the award, given his past comments.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

EDITED: By putting that in your sig, you know it can/will cause friction, but I think that's what you are looking for. image >>

Hey, welcome back Stantheman. I thought you had said you were leaving. image

The article you linked to (at least the way I read it) just says that he's angry that his words, spoken in the Dominican, came out in the media here and that he apologizes for disrespecting Ryan Howard. I'm sure he didn't mean any ill will toward Ryan Howard, personally, but I really believe he thought (thinks) that the MVP should come from a playoff team. (unless of course his team doesn't make it to the playoffs)

As I said earlier in the thread, I think he deserved the award this year and I congratulate him for getting it. I'm just curious if he has changed his feelings about the MVP worthiness of a non-playoff player or if he'll be giving the award back. >>

I have been on here every once in a while. I just don't live on here like some do. On occasion, I'll come to this board, but it's not part of my everday life. image

Here are the just of Pujols' words, since you want to seem to keep twisting things to meet your agenda:

<<Pujols said his statement was misunderstood, and that he meant players on postseason teams should get additional consideration. "Howard had the numbers," Pujols said Monday. "Writers made the right choice in 2006.">>

I know it's just something you get your kicks at doing, by making comments about Pujols, in hopes of getting a rise out of certain people. You have gouged at fandango many times, but I see what your purpose is. Some people need games like this to make them feel good, entertained, or to keep their vendettas alive and well. This stuff will never change on message boards.

Either way, Pujols won his second MVP award, and I feel he should have had at least 2 additional MVP awards by now(2003 & 2006). He might very well win another before his career is over. We'll see.

I have no agenda here, regardless of your beliefs. You, on the other hand, should try to not speak out of both sides of your mouth. You defend Pujols for retracting the statements in my signature, yet you still say he deserved the MVP in 2006.

Whatever the case, he wasn't; Howard was.

As for Pujols, I'm happy for him that he won the MVP this year, and I hope it was a good life lesson about the things you say and how they can haunt you. What was said in 2006 was said. He can't change that, he can only apologize for it. It appears he has.

That won't, however, make me take it out of my signature. For me, it's a reminder that every word said can be thrown back in your face....so watch your words closely. You can take it for whatever you want it to be.

• << <i>I have no agenda here, regardless of your beliefs. You, on the other hand, should try to not speak out of both sides of your mouth. You defend Pujols for retracting the statements in my signature, yet you still say he deserved the MVP in 2006.

Whatever the case, he wasn't; Howard was.

As for Pujols, I'm happy for him that he won the MVP this year, and I hope it was a good life lesson about the things you say and how they can haunt you. What was said in 2006 was said. He can't change that, he can only apologize for it. It appears he has.

That won't, however, make me take it out of my signature. For me, it's a reminder that every word said can be thrown back in your face....so watch your words closely. You can take it for whatever you want it to be. >>

Speaking out both sides of my mouth? How's that? I am defending against your attempt to twist someone's words, which you are doing. Albert has his opinion that Ryan Howard deserved the 2006 MVP, but I don't agree with him. I said I felt Pujols deserved the MVP in 2006. That's MY opinion. I am entitled to such.

By having that in your sig, it shows you just like to stir the pot on a daily basis. If you're not a stirring things up, you get bored with yourself. I have seen guys like you in every aspect of life.