Home Metal Detecting
Options

1st time hunt with new machine

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
Took the drive down to San Jose this weekend. Spent some time at the Santa Clara coin show, was fun...not the best it's ever been but fun. Also had the chance to take the new Fisher Coinstrike out for it's inagural spin. A fellow forum member and myself went to a relatively old school yard in SJ that we've had somewhat good results from in the past. Plus, the fields are relatively devoid of trash so it makes for easy going.

The machine works GREAT. Easy as pie and ice cream on a summer day in Georgia. She sounds off like a freakin' burglar alarm on anything dime or better. Results seem to be very consistent and trustworthy. All in all I'm extremely pleased with the machine and can't wait to get her back out there. Below are my finds.

Comments

• Options
    That one with the ? is an 1802 Half Dime.

Ray
  • Options

image Don't you wish?
    Ray
  • Options
    Good start with a new machine...I see lot more finds in your future.
  • Options
    This is a great forum. I lurk and read all the posts. Wish I had the chance to dig a little.

Thank you all for such good posts
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    I think the mystery item is some kind of button. It's not super old, you can tell by the quality/method of manufacture that it's modern.

I dug the Wheatie about 9" down. It came up on the detector numerical readout right at the border between cent & dime but the sound was high pitched like dime, not low like cent. When I realized how deep it was I was really hoping for a silver dime. I had just that morning dug a 1965 & 1967 quarter from the same area so I know there is silver "era" coinage there. Once it finally revealed itself I was very pleased to see the wheat stalks on the reverse. I was pleasantly surprised at how markedly different the coinstrike hit on the wheatie than it did on the memorial cents I found. Makes me pretty confident that I'm going to get quite a few wheaties with this machine.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be nice if that was the "Key to the Mint" image
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love finding car keys! I just wonder what happened on that hot summer day in 1988, when Lisa swore to her husband that HE had the key, not her... the frantic search, followed by denial, anger, then acceptance; that key is GONE. Time to call up dad and ask for a ride back home.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    how does it respond to things other than coins?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds... sounds like you have a great machine... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>how does it respond to things other than coins? >>

I hit on a lot of foil and pop tops/bottle caps. They seemed to hit very consistently in the low teens. The lowest reading I got for a coin was for memorial cents in the mid teens which also seemed to be consistent. That key I dug up hit below 10 on the meter...I just dug it to see what they hell it was.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool, let us know when you find a small coin dated 1792
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    was the key brass?

sounds fun, happy hunting!
  • Options
    Lot of great finds I bet that machine is staying with you for a while