Home Precious Metals
Options

How do you feel about 35% war nickels and 40% Kennedy halves for silver??

Is there more value(can you pick them up cheaper) in war nickels and 40% Kennedy's than in 90% dimes, quarters, halves and so on? Assume storage is not an issue. How do you feel, I have always been told that if buying from a shop(not saying that is the best place) that you can usually get more silver per dollar going with war nickels and 40% Kennedy's??

Thoughts??

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Is there more value(can you pick them up cheaper) in war nickels and 40% Kennedy's than in 90% dimes, quarters, halves and so on? Assume storage is not an issue. How do you feel, I have always been told that if buying from a shop(not saying that is the best place) that you can usually get more silver per dollar going with war nickels and 40% Kennedy's??

Thoughts?? >>

War nicks always sell for less. More costly smelting involved. Not a good investment IMO.

40% Kennedys? Up to each individual.

I get rid of them ASAP, don't care much for them. Still, it's an individual choice.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Stick with 90% not 40% or 35%.

Better yet, maybe get pure silver
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Both are hard to get rid of at a B&M unless you have quite a few and they don't pay anywhere near their spot metal price. My sons wife used to get me the 40% Kennedy half when she worked in the bank valut and I'd trade them for junk silver. The real problem here like silver in general is they take up way too much space, but they make fine trade material for coins or bars.
  • Options
    I don't care much for them either but to say something positive about them. If the bottom was to fall out of silver you would have more actual money if you had it in %40 instead of other .
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate 40% and wartime nickles. Many smelters dont like to take them due to the extra cost to extract the silver content. I have even gone to shows where the bullion dealers dont want them at all period or at a very reduced price.

• Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    hey everyone not wanting the war nickels could send alot of them to the smelter or give them no chance of being cared for. This could give the nickels some numismatic collectible value in the future if you hold onto them and take care of them. After all they are 60 years old and the only nickels ever made with silver. You may not be able to sell them for the value of their silver content in the future, but consider that you can also get them for less then their silver content when you buy them. That's the logic I had when I bought some. Buying something at its silver content value and selling it for its silver content value (bullion), is the same as buying something for 25% less then their silver content value and then selling them for 25% less then their silver content value (average grade war nickels usually sold as bullion).
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i have a few thousand of each (war & 40%)

some of the war nickels have a very pretty salmon toning to them

and they are the only coin to have a "P" mintmark until the SBA in mid 1979

i'd rather have 64 kennedy's for 90% junk, though, instead of the war and 40%.

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    90% silver coins all the way. They are never worth less

then face value, and are easy to sell for silver content.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭
    "How do you feel about 35% war nickels and 40% Kennedy halves for silver??"

I feel love, but I feel more love for 90% + silver image
  • Options
    The only 40% Kennedys I keep are a set of original bank wrapped rolls of each year.

Yeah, I've got a small batch of the 70's as well, only available in mint sets.

Submitted the best couple of the 1970s to PCGS a few years ago. One MS 67 and the other only a 65.

I sitll think they blew it on the 65 grade, it has a much crisper strike than the 67.

I do have a few original bank wrapped 90% 64 Kennedys, those are hard to come by today.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    ajbaumanajbauman Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    I actually prefer 40% over 90% (depending on the premium)... I recently picked up some 40% silver 10% below melt thanks to the live.com rebate.

I look at a couple of ways...
    1. You usually get more actual silver content for your money
    2. The USD value is closer per coin to the silver value (incase the USD stays as it is and silver crashes)
    3. They have less silver value, if the USD collapses and we are using silver for barter the 40% is easier to use to purchase smaller items, like bread, than 90% silver or .999 rounds would be for barter

Buying £2 Britannias