Home Metal Detecting

Interesting find today

Hello,

I have been reading the forum for a few years now, never posted as my finds with my White's Classic ID are modest compared to the great stuff that you all find.

Anyways, I was detecting today at my deceased Uncle's house, which will be sold soon. I was hoping for some silver, but found this medal instead.
It is from the Disciples of Christ Centennial convention in Pittsburgh, PA which was held October 11th to the 19th 1909!

What makes this find so interesting is that this was a BIG EVENT and there is plenty of documentation. Found this on the web:

"The people who have come to be known as Disciples of Christ or Christians, because of their refusal to be designated by mere party names, have deemed it to be both proper and praiseworthy to recognize the origin of the religious movement which they represent--the youngest of these great historic Reformations--by holding, in the city of Pittsburgh, Penn., near the scene of its birth, in this good year of our Lord 1909, a great Centennial Convention as the culmination of a series of Centennial endeavors worthily to celebrate an event which, under God, has become a source of blessing to the Church universal. As our own free and independent government of the United States dates its origin from the Declaration of Independence, which set forth the reasons why such a government should be formed, and the fundamental principles which should govern it, so it has been thought that this religious movement in behalf of a united church should properly date its origin from the publication of the "Declaration and Address," which occurred at Washington, Penn., Sept. 7, 1809. This document, written by Thomas Campbell, and later read and fully endorsed by his son, Alexander Campbell, contains the reasons which led to the new movement for religious reformation, and the germinal principles which have been dominant in the history of the movement."

Pictures are attached. I will try to clean the medal up a bit more, this is a very special find for me and I would like to enter it into the best finds (non-coin) for the month of December.

Bob

Comments

• Here's a picture of what the medal originally looked like and a flyer from the convention ...

Bob
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting find and associated historical information. Cheers, RickO
  • Neat find and information! I don't suppose you found the top bar (or whatever those things are called) along with it did you? I would be searching for the rest of it while you still can hunt there.

Rick

PS-Sorry about the passing of your Uncle...
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Rick,

Thanks. We were selling off the remaining posessions at the house this weekend, spent a few minutes trying to locate the top half of the medal, no luck.

I would have thought that the yard would have given up some silver, but this was the only thing that I found, other than rusty nails and strips of metal.

This was a cool find and will add to the happy memories that I have of this house and all of the people who lived there (my grandparents and uncle).

Bob