Home Precious Metals
Options

The Silver Maple Leaf: Canada's Silver Bullion Coins

The Canadian Silver Silver Maple Leaf is a series of silver bullion coins issued by Canada. It has a static design every year and mostly comes in 1 troy oz of silver. Variation for this coin includes proof (1989 only), privy marks, coloured maple leaf (has a different design than regular maple leaf) and holographic enhancement (5 Coin Set – 1 oz, ½ oz, ¼ oz, 1/10 oz, 1/20 oz). A single-issue 10 oz version was produced in 1998 to mark the 10th anniversary of the coin series. The face value of the 1 oz coin is 5 Canadian Dollars, the highest among other silver bullions. During the month of February, 2008, the market value of the coin was approximately 20 Canadian dollars. The purity of the coin is 99.99% silver, also the highest among other bullions which have a 99.90% standard. The program started in 1988 and is on-going today.

In 1999, all Silver Maple Leaf coins that were issued came with a Privy Mark to commemorate the 20th Anniversary of the Maple Leaf program. The following year, all coins for the year 2000 featured a Privy Mark with Fireworks and the number 2000. Another Silver Maple Leaf was issued to commemorate the Millennium. These coins were produced for January 1, 2000 and the Privy Mark consisted of Fireworks as well. The coins were double dated 1999 and 2000.[1] The coin is struck by the Royal Canadian Mint.

According to the Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins (62nd edition, 2007), standard Silver Maple Leafs differ from their Gold and Platinum counterparts in generating collector demand, with the 1996 and 1997 mintings in particular fetching higher prices due to limited pressings (for example, just under 101,000 for the 1997 Maple Leaf compared with more than 1.2 million pressed of the 1999 edition).

Obverse:
The effigy of Queen Elizabeth II. There are three different versions, a young head version, an old head version, and an older head version. The year of issue and the face value of 5 dollars is also displayed on this side.

Reverse: Picture of a maple leaf. On some variations there are also a small privy mark on the lower half of the coin or colour enhancement.

The Royal Canadian Mint and the International Olympic Committee have reached an agreement on Olympic Gold and Silver Maple Leaf coins. The announcement was made on August 3, 2007 and the agreement allows the RCM to strike bullion coins with the emblems of the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Games.[4] The issue will consist of two coins: one Gold Maple Leaf coin and a Canadian Silver Maple Leaf coin and both coins will feature the date of 2008. The new agreement means that the RCM is now selling Olympic coins through all of its major business lines: bullion, circulation, numismatics

The preceding is from WIKI

2008 Saw a new Reverse design as I have pictured below, celebrating the 2010 Olympics (also as mentioned above).

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

Comments

• Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭
    I know this coin well image
  • Options

Especially it's profit potential!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i found the obverse to be one of the ugliest coins i ever laid eyes on.
  • Options
    I like that the Maples come in tubes of 25 instead of 20. I really don't like them with the Vancouver olympic thing though.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i found the obverse to be one of the ugliest coins i ever laid eyes on. >>

The overall design is very uninspiring compared to other bullion issues, IMO.
    But, hey, I still like'um!

Regards,
    John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>i found the obverse to be one of the ugliest coins i ever laid eyes on. >>

You kiss the Queen and apoligize FC...... image

• Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

+1