Home Metal Detecting
Options

What is the oldest coin you have ever found detecting?

mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
For me it was an 1867 Indian cent.This coin was found in Denver's City Park when I was doing this hobby in the late 70's-early 80's.Amazingly enough,the cent was very shallow,no more than a 1/2 inch deep.I had found quite a few other IHC in this park before but they were all 1900's and were at least 3 inches down.

Update: I found an 1803 Russia 5 Kopeks on 11/17/08.It is larger than a silver dollar and has the same weight as 17 Indians,Wheaties,or pre-1982 Memorials.

What is your oldest coin find ever?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Comments

• Options
    1836 Canadian trade token.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Without having to post a lot of pics...

Here is a link to the Spanish ones I have found....the oldest English I have found is 1697..

My oldest Spanish Coins

Also....all the coins in my sig below were found by me:

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna just throw down here and admit-- a 1952 nickel.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Oldest coin overall for me is an 1806 George 3rd half penny, oldest US coin (just found this year) an 1832 large cent. Oldest silver coin an 1886 Canadian half dime, oldest US silver coin- 1901 barber dime.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    1894 IHC

• Options
    My oldest coin is a roman coin (when I was stationed in the UK) from around 75AD. Yep, almost 1,935 years old. It's hard to tell what it is, but some of the gurus in the UK could date it. My oldest silver coin is a hammered silver from the UK--can't remember the date, but I'm thinking something like 1550'ish.

My oldest US coin is probably the 1923 Lincoln cent. One of these days, I'll get a 1800 coin.
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dock.. same for me... 1894 IHC... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    1837 Half Dime (holed) Along a cornfield near Doswell, Va....north of Richmond, Va.
    Past BST deals baddogss,llafoe,braddick,wondercoin,fireman2030, ProofCollection, SNMAN,halfnut1
  • Options
    Oldest - 1797 Large Cent (Very, very corroded and surprisingly only ~2 inches down). Oldest US Silver - 1860 3 Cent Silver.
    -Joe

-Weinman Fan
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oldest US Silver - 1860 3 Cent Silver

I have always wanted to find one of these.Congratulations!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    I have found a couple of dateless large cents so my oldest identifiable US coin would be the 1836 Capped bust dime (pic below in my sig line). Found at Wythogen park in Knox Indiana.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1776 Spanish 2 Reales found at a One Room School site that was also on an Indian site.
  • Options
    for some reason i've never been able to get any super old US coins here in california. my oldest US is an 1848 dime. oldest foreign is a 1788 reale and also a 1794 english conder token. i bet that some of chinese coins could possibly be from the 1700's also.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    1912 Barber Dime
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    My oldest overall is a 1799 Mexican two reals but my oldest American coin is an 1831 dime. Both were found at an old college site in Lagrange Alabama which was burnt down during the Civil War.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    My oldest finds:

I found a 1939 halfpenny by the roadside on the isle of Barra, Scotland.
    And the oldest coin in circulation was a 1920 Canadian cent..

I don't have a detector, so i have to stick to the surface realm
  • Options
    my oldest was an 1805 Large Cent. Im not sure what my oldest silver is/was.
    I'd rather be driving a titleist

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like EF before it hit the ground.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    I would like to bring up my 1830 Silver 5 Franc Found around Atlanta GA off Old Atlanta Road. I was out on a civil war metal detecting trip and out it pop from about 10" in like what I would call a snake hole. I was very surprised about finding it there.

1830 5 franc
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1917 Cent in my backyard:

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    1906 indian on old pasture in orlando with my radio shack bounty hunter.
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    An 1865 two cent piece found at my in-laws' farm two years ago Thanksgiving. I was night hunting at the time and it had to be about ten inches deep. Incidently, the farm was homesteaded in the 1860's. I also found an 1875 one ore coin last Thanksgiving at the same place and that's my oldest foreign coin.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 1942 lincoln cent in a local park is now my oldest find-- there were two wheaties right next to one another!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.