Home Precious Metals
Options

Coin show was a dud, B&M wasn't any better...

Went to a coin show today, complete dud. I was looking for bullion - nobody had any at reasonable prices. Everybody seemed to be buying, but nobody selling.

Mexican Libertads were $19 each.
Kookaburras - $20 each.
Half ounce .999 silver rounds were $9 each.

Then, I went by the B&M hoping to fare better. Nope.

$5 Gold American Eagles $100 each raw, $110 each PCGS MS69.
Generic circulated $5 Libs $250 each, raw.
Circulated morgan dollars $16 each.
1/10 oz Gold Maple Leafs $105 each, raw.
PCGS MS61 (more like AU55) generic $10 Lib $525

Just flushed a couple hours of my afternoon down the toilet...
To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

Comments

• Options
    Better than watching TV
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Went to a coin show today, complete dud. I was looking for bullion - nobody had any at reasonable prices. Everybody seemed to be buying, but nobody selling. >>

The last sentence explains the market perfectly.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SE,

I take it you are referring to the Raleigh show,

I went this am. They had Christmas 08 rounds at 15.00 (I didnt buy any)

I agree the silver $ at 16.00 were a bit much, I sell them for 13-4.oo each in my shop[, course I cant keep them in stock!!

I picked up a few nice XF / AU Libs/Indian $5.00 at 240.00 each for the shop. I thought this was a good price as you can ship for a few $ more than that.
    I looked at several $20 libs/saints, and agree the prices were too strong, as many that appeared nice and priced fair either were hairlined, damaged, and even fake.

• Options

<< <i>SE,

I take it you are referring to the Raleigh show,

I went this am. They had Christmas 08 rounds at 15.00 (I didnt buy any)

I agree the silver $ at 16.00 were a bit much, I sell them for 13-4.oo each in my shop[, course I cant keep them in stock!!

I picked up a few nice XF / AU Libs/Indian $5.00 at 240.00 each for the shop. I thought this was a good price as you can ship for a few $ more than that.
    I looked at several $20 libs/saints, and agree the prices were too strong, as many that appeared nice and priced fair either were hairlined, damaged, and even fake. >>

Yeah, I was talking about the Raleigh show. I guess I missed those Christmas rounds. $15 is still high compared to what people are asking on the BST even.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    that sucks silvereagles.....prices are high in your area!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to think that the reason prices were high and still in some cases is that dealers are stuck in them high from recent price drops, but that is not necessarily the case. I was talking to one of my customers who was in another shop across town and somebody brought in 18 silver rounds in which the dealer paid 7.00 each, My customer tried to buy them and was quoted 15.00 each

• Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Went to a coin show today, complete dud. I was looking for bullion - nobody had any at reasonable prices. Everybody seemed to be buying, but nobody selling. >>

The last sentence explains the market perfectly.
    TD >>

Actually I think its more like "Those with it are OFFERING it at a premium or Not at all. And those who want it either pay or go home!"

Spot still has little to do with it at this time...image