Home Precious Metals
Options

The American Gold Eagle (AGE) America's Gold Bullion Coins

The American Gold Eagle is an official gold bullion coin of the United States. Authorized under the Gold Bullion Coin Act of 1985, it was first released by the United States Mint in 1986. Offered in 1/10 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/2 oz, and 1 oz denominations, these coins are guaranteed to contain the stated amount of actual gold weight in troy ounces. By law, the gold must come from sources in America, with an additional alloy of silver and copper to produce a more wear-resistant coin of .9167 (22 karat, which had long been the crown gold English standard for gold coins). It is authorized by the United States Congress and is backed by the United States Mint for weight and content.

The obverse design features a rendition of Augustus Saint-Gaudens' full length figure of Lady Liberty with flowing hair, holding a torch in her right hand and an olive branch in her left, with the Capitol building in the left background. The reverse design, by sculptor Miley Busiek, features a male eagle carrying an olive branch flying above a nest containing a female eagle and her hatchlings.

The market value of the coins is generally about equal to the market value of their gold content, not their face value. (As of January 2008 the $5, $10, $25, and $50 coins by face value are worth and sell for about $110, $225, $450, and $900 USD respectively.[1] Their actual selling prices vary daily based on the current spot price of gold.) The American Gold Eagle may be used to fund one government sanctioned Individual Retirement Account. The United States Mint also produces a proof version for coin collectors. These coins are for the most part produced at the West Point Mint in West Point, New York and carry the mint's mark ("W") beneath the date.

The preceding is from WIKI. Feel free to add your thoughts and or pictures!

This one is from my PCGS type set, so it is slabbed....

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool thread. I have always wished they'd make a $2.5 face value, 1/20th ounce AGE.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    guys, they need to make a 1/100th of an oz one so guys like me can afford them!!!!!!! imageimageimage

beautiful pics RGcoinguy.

I was able to FINALLY own 1 oz of gold in my life. I got a 1 oz AGE that was slabbed from a guy on this site for a great price. That person really helped me out. Big thanks to you know who image
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A $100 face value, 2 ounce super eagle would be kind of neat too. Although I'd likely never own one.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Great pics rgcoinguy!! I will take a picture of the gold reverse proof tomorrow.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i have a bunch of 1/10 oz and can't see anything smaller