Home Precious Metals
Options

PM forum etiquette question?

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
On the US coin forum it is explicity against the rules to advertise in a thread a coin you are selling or even subtly post pics of coins you just happen to be selling at the time.

On the World & Ancient coin forum they have more tolerance for it. Folks routinely make SSP threads (Shameless Self Promotion) and they even have a weekly BST thread for everyone to post what they're selling and what they're buying (Link to one of them for example)

What's the rules in this forum? Anyone even discussed this before? Anyone think 1 weekly BST thread in this forum is a good idea? Bad idea?

Interested in hearing your thoughts...

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea only problem is the PM forum might be filled with so many buying/selling/trading ads!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of a BST a lot.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options

<< <i>I like the idea of a BST a lot. >>

Seems most just post in Coin BST. Doubt there would be enough action to warrant a PM BST.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    Not a whole new BST just for PM's but one thread on the PM forum that everyone can post to and put what they've got for sale.
  • Options
    OH, actually Cladiator I like that idea, I don't think it would be any problem if it was just one thread. It will end up having thousands of replies image

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not a whole new BST just for PM's but one thread on the PM forum that everyone can post to and put what they've got for sale. >>

I think it would be good and be easier on the eyes.. To many coins to look thru on the coin BST for the real stuff!image So what you are suggesting would be like the "monthly" one in the coin BST... good idea.. BWDIK...image
  • Options

<< <i>Not a whole new BST just for PM's but one thread on the PM forum that everyone can post to and put what they've got for sale. >>

It's not up to us/the PM posters.

Generally that sort of thing has been frowned upon and the BST was born of that idea.

I think we'd need it to be a sticky and we'd need approval from on high.

I have my doubts, but wish the idea well.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea. I actually check the World bst thread weekly and hate weeding through the coin bst if I am looking for PMs.
  • Options
    I don't think its a bad idea. Just PM CarolJ if you are worried about whether it is allowed or not. If it is just one Weekly Thread like they do on the darkside, I don't see anyone here complaining, unless you try to sell something communist. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just PM CarolJ if you are worried about whether it is allowed or not. >>

Don't forget---It's easier to get forgiveness than permission. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    my thoughts are why would i want to sell to a bunch of tight wads
    when i can walk it over to ebay and get bigger profits?

it makes zero financial sense unless the stuff has a collector premium.

bullion is bullion. find the best price and sell it there which is never
    here.
  • Options
    lol, fc your too harsh!

some are tight wads, but others aren't.

• Options

<< <i>

Generally that sort of thing has been frowned upon and the BST was born of that idea.

I have my doubts, but wish the idea well. >>

Go to the World and Ancient coin forum and you'll see what I'm talking about. Each week they make 1 new BST thread and the previous weeks thread just drops away to oblivian because folks stop replying to it. It's slower on the PM forum so maybe we could do 1 thread per month. I don't think they ever got official moderator approval (i could be wrong) I just think it's well recieved and used which generates no complaints about it. Definitely not a sticky thread. Making a new thread every month keeps the thread from turning into something with a gazillion replies and if it was stick there would be no way for the old BST threads to drop away and die.

I'll make one and see how things go...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I have my doubts, but wish the idea well. >>

Go to the World and Ancient coin forum and you'll see what I'm talking about. Each week they make 1 new BST thread and the previous weeks thread just drops away to oblivian because folks stop replying to it. It's slower on the PM forum so maybe we could do 1 thread per month. I don't think they ever got official moderator approval (i could be wrong) I just think it's well recieved and used which generates no complaints about it. Definitely not a sticky thread. Making a new thread every month keeps the thread from turning into something with a gazillion replies and if it was stick there would be no way for the old BST threads to drop away and die.

I'll make one and see how things go... >>

As I said, I wish the idea well, but you've already seen the forum cops atttack in no time at all.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea, we are all here for the PM's why not let the monthly thread go, what does it hurt? if you don't want to look at it just skip over it like any other topic the does not interest you.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    my thoughts are why would i want to sell to a bunch of tight wads when i can walk it over to ebay and get bigger profits?

image and that is a statement from the Chief Tight Wad, himself!

fc, is right on the money, the BST is a tough selling venue.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I only have one problem with it....right now with the MSN live money, I am not buying anywhere but Ebay.
    Becky