Options

Filing a $7500 insurance claim with USPS

2»

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@mintonlypls said:
    It’s been nearly 13 years...has the USPS settled your claim?! Proof of value will always save the USPS from paying out.

I know from experience.... $12000 in baseball cards became a $286 USPS payout on a lost package!

Man I am sorry to hear about the registered mail issue. I too always thought it foolproof.

I have some ungraded I am getting ready to send to PSA, roughly 10 - 15K in value, with a lot of it depending on my Doctor J rookie. How do you show proof of value on ungraded cards that have been in your collection for over 10 plus years. What's the best way to ship?

Thanks,

BC

Registered. Still. Not foolproof, but nothing is. It's the closest. If you have private insurance, please follow your carrier's instructions.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use Fed EX when sending expensive cards! I learned my lesson...

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2021 7:37AM

All the cards lost in 2013 were graded PSA-8. Here is a list:

1955 Hank Aaron
    1960 Yaz RC
    1960 McCovey RC
    1962 Roger Maris
    1963 Frank Robinson
    1965 Pete Rose
    1967 Tony Perez
    1968 Nolan Ryan RC

I had Heritage Auctions write a letter on their value w/o success in proofing their value. I even involved my congressman Steve Chabot of southwest Ohio.

I just accepted the loss and moved on replacing each card in a higher grade except Yaz RC and never replaced the Maris. These were strong PSA-8s and; hence, I was sending in for review. I looked a couple years on auction houses and eBay for serial numbers but realized the thief is smart and broke them out and sent into PSA to have a new serial number.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    All the cards lost in 2013 were graded PSA-8. Here is a list:

1955 Hank Aaron
    1960 Yaz RC
    1960 McCovey RC
    1962 Roger Maris
    1963 Frank Robinson
    1965 Pete Rose
    1967 Tony Perez
    1968 Nolan Ryan RC

I had Heritage Auctions write a letter on their value w/o success in proofing their value. I even involved my congressman Steve Chabot of southwest Ohio.

I just accepted the loss and moved on replacing each card in a higher grade except Yaz RC and never replaced the Maris. These were strong PSA-8s and; hence, I was sending in for review.

Wow that’s just awful.

I insured it for $50,000 and have records for all my purchases that were in the box.

If they fight me I will get a attorney obviously.

Only ship what you can afford to lose.

• Options

Good Luck! I sought an attorney and spoke to the postmaster general to no avail. Value of cards are hard to prove and is always changing. That was their argument...

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Good luck! I spoke to the US Postmaster General, their lawyers, and even my lawyer, and the argument against paying out was it is hard to prove value on cards and the value of cards is constantly changing. My lawyer told me that his costs, if we won, would exceed the value of the cards

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2021 8:52AM

Edited ....
    Asked and Answered -

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2021 8:22AM

All the cards in my box were graded and recent purchases from eBay.

They were insured for what I spent.

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

this post has me concerned; I've been going through some stuff to send in and was going to ship registered mail for 50k. If USPS loses it, I am guessing I won't get paid and be able to prove that kind of value on raw stuff. Will my PSA slip showing declared value suffice? If not, any suggestions?

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options

1) Get third party collectibles insurance. It is way cheaper than paying USPS and covers most mail loss.

2) Ship it Registered or FedEx Overnight. Both are totally fine. The odds of losing something should not be keeping you up at night. Your cards could also theoretically spontaneously combust, but despite this, we find a way to persevere.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS insurance is useless unless you have a purchase receipt that can prove exact value of the shipment.

I use collector's insurance now and the money I save on insurance pays for a third of my annual premium cost. Coverage extends up to 60K depending on carrier and level of shipping with signature confirmation.

I hope addictedtoebay's package turns up soon.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    All the cards in my box were graded and recent purchases from eBay.

They were insured for what I spent.

Afternoon,

Having been through this once....you will be Re-imbursed for the Proven Value of the Cards in the Package with purchase of Cards Documentation of What you paid on E-Bay. You will Not receive one more penny of Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda if they had Graded as such and such. Any Card you do not have Clear documentation, will not be re-imbursed.

As I have learned that sending Cards to PSA or anywhere as far as that is concerned, any of the Carriers Insurance are totally inadequate and there mission is Not to Pay!

I will check into that Collectbles Ins. mentioned above.

Thanks

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Question- is sending with Fed-ex a better option and is it easier to file a claim? Do you still need to provide some kind proof?
    Thanks

• Options

@Norcal said:
    Question- is sending with Fed-ex a better option and is it easier to file a claim? Do you still need to provide some kind proof?
    Thanks

Fed Ex only provides very limited coverage for insurance on cards or collectibles. I think it's far less than 1K or even as low as $100 but I'm not certain. However, you can use Fed Ex with signature confirmation to be covered under your collectibles insurance policy.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2021 1:36PM

@Norcal said:
    Thanks

Ok.. This one i can answer..
    I retired from FedEx express, 30 yrs.
    Insurance on collectibles is limited.
    Can't remember the $$ amount for sure, but its only about 750-1000..
    That covers artwork coins baseball cards Etc.. Still good to ship but get own insurance !

• Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Sounds like the only way to go is with collectibles insurance. Thanks for the clarification!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:

@Stone193 said:

@addicted2ebay said:
    I thought it was almost impossible to lose a registered mail package till I read this.

I’m going through the same thing and it’s brutal.

The cards I shipped are irreplaceable

Really sad to read this Rich...

Best of luck.

I miss storm888.

Thanks, who’s Rich?

I remembered it from the "Official first names...."

My apologies if it's wrong?

Please correct.

Mike
  • Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    USPS insurance is useless unless you have a purchase receipt that can prove exact value of the shipment.

I use collector's insurance now and the money I save on insurance pays for a third of my annual premium cost. Coverage extends up to 60K depending on carrier and level of shipping with signature confirmation.

Which company do you use for insurance?

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HBaum

in case no ones done it yet.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

Grote, sorry to sound redundant but to be clear if you get your collection insured, which I will do, you do not need to also heavily insure them via USPS when sending to PSA to be graded?

It helps me understand why in the past so many people would take their expensive cards to the Nationals to get them graded in person.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@1957Braves said:

@grote15 said:

Which company do you use for insurance?

Collect Insure

https://collectinsure.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtP_iBRDGARIsAEWJA8iLhV1bihaKY7rlIMvkwQ1DlNcZP6ZWvQMdEglhB61Lzu_16HKVDEAaAnsvEALw_wcB

• Options

@Cakes said:

@grote15 said:

Grote, sorry to sound redundant but to be clear if you get your collection insured, which I will do, you do not need to also heavily insure them via USPS when sending to PSA to be graded?

It helps me understand why in the past so many people would take their expensive cards to the Nationals to get them graded in person.

Correct. My policy covers items in transit up to 60K shipped via either Express Mail or Fed Ex with signature confirmation (not UPS).

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@Cakes said:

@grote15 said:

Correct. My policy covers items in transit up to 60K shipped via either Express Mail or Fed Ex with signature confirmation (not UPS).

Awesome, thank you. I am on the site.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2021 9:56PM

Has anyone filed a 5 figure claim with collectinsure.com and gotten a check? It’s a good peace of mind but dealing with insurance companies in the past they can all be difficult.

• Options

@addicted2ebay said:
    Has anyone filed a 5 figure claim with collectinsure.com and gotten a check? It’s a good peace of mind but dealing with insurance companies in the past they can all be difficult.

I have not personally but I know people who have and it was a pretty seamless process, much easier than trying to collect from USPS who will do everything in their power to not pay you.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭

collectinsure only has you itemize items with a value of over $25K

• Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭

Awesome! Glad it finally was delivered. How long did it take to finally be delivered? I sent out a registered package to PSA that was due to be delivered by 2/16. As of today, it still has not arrived.

• Options

@addicted2ebay said:
    Usps delivered the box! I have to give them a shout out, turns out they were just backed up.

Faith restored in registered mail lol

Man that is great to hear. A happy ending for once!

• Options
    edited March 2, 2021 4:53PM

@Francart said:
    Awesome! Glad it finally was delivered. How long did it take to finally be delivered? I sent out a registered package to PSA that was due to be delivered by 2/16. As of today, it still has not arrived.

It was shipped the 11th then departed the 13th, after that is was not scanned for 15 days. Sounds like usps, fedex, ups are all having delays. Usps uses fedex carriers to ship packages so I’m sure yours will pop up soon.

I only worried because every single package I shipped to that address was delivered in 5-6 days previously, even through the holidays.

• Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:

@Francart said:

It was shipped the 11th then departed the 13th, after that is was not scanned for 15 days. Sounds like usps, fedex, ups are all having delays. Usps uses fedex carriers to ship packages so I’m sure yours will pop up soon.

I only worried because every single package I shipped to that address was delivered in 5-6 days previously, even through the holidays.

Yes, mine was last scanned on 2/13. I’m hopeful it arrives sometime this week. I’ve never had it take so long between scans either. Definitely concerned, but you have given me some hope!

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

glad to see this outcome

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Delivery Co's will all cover themselves with deceit and BS to wiggle out of paying any claim and even deny a package was lost if they can shoot thru that hoop..... its a real unsavory business unfortunately.

• Options
    edited March 2, 2021 5:32PM

There is a metric ton of theft going on with collectibles within the delivery business ... they know what is in the packages based on addresses and shrewd folks target those packages.....it is ugly and it's going on daily.... GET signature delivery and then pray they don't maneuver even that away from you with excuses like them just dropping it off without the sig..

• Options

what can you do tho? maybe drop off submissions in person when psa does shows again. or fly out to drop off consignments. it’s really not possible with a full time job.

• Options

Glad to hear the package was delivered! registered is extremely safe and secure but often very slow as it must travel by ground and be signed for every step along the way and placed under lock and key.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Dealing with the USPS when there is a problem is like dealing with the Gestapo.
    I had a nightmare situation sending cards to PSA. Cards were stolen by the local USPS clerk.
    Ungraded cards without purchase receipts were sent and total insurance was purchased. They refused to pay anything.
    A lawyer cost me half the "raw" value to get me anything.

I have not trusted the USPS since.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

My next PWCC submission I am flying RT to Portland to hand deliver it.... there is way too much on the line for the type of anxiety when sending big submissions...... even with insurance ~ when you have gone thru this process and not been reimbursed and burned ~ you learn it doesn't mean anything ....

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

with the incredible increase in values, I have decided that if I ever were to sell a higher priced item, 40-50k and up, I will fly and do a hand delivery. even with insurance, a round trip flight anywhere in the lower 48 would be worth it to me.

those type of thoughts never crossed my mind when my most expensive cards were 1-3k.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2021 11:00AM

One thing you notice: there are a lot of worries about missing items, very few actually lost items.

Think about how many people post on this board currently. Then, think about how many total people have posted here over the last 10 years.

Then, think about how many packages all of those people have collectively shipped using USPS/FedEx/UPS.

We're probably easily in the 6 digit range.

If items were regularly getting lost, you can be sure that you'd be hearing about it. Loudly. Often.

Given that you don't, what would you estimate, say, USPS's actual "loss rate" to be? 1%, 0.1%, 0.01%, 0.001%? Seriously, do the math.

Then, do the math again. On an item worth X, multiply it by the loss rate. That is how much money you lose in expected value by shipping.

There is no way it is even in the same neighborhood as the cost of flying for hand delivery, even excluding your personal time-as-money.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never use USPS to insure something. I ship through pirateship and when insurance is applied, its done through shipsurance. also, it won't say "insured" on the label which can be beneficial.

myslabs.to/smzcards