Home Precious Metals
Options

troy pound, Silver?

I had a guy trying to trade me a $100 bill replica silver bar today and found something very interesting. On the edge of the bar/bill it stated "one troy pound" However I could not find anywhere on this bar that is was .999 silver or any reference to silver or any metal for that matter. Do all silver bars contain this? I didn't really look like silver either. Appeared more like cast alum or something. On top of that he was willing to trade it to me for 24 90% half dollars. That got me wondering as well. Should I have turned it down as I did or did I make a mistake? The only similiar designs I found on eBay contained ".999 fine silver"

thanks for help.
Its all relative

Comments

• Options
    If you are not sure if the item was real, you did good to walk away.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    deal sounded too good to be true. Perhaps it was good to pass on it. Check on ebay to see if any of the bill replica silver bars looks like the one you offered. Maybe it was legit?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    cars did it look similiar to this auction? lnk
    The one you speak of maybe silver plated? I'am only familiar with the 4 oz $100 bill bars.
  • Options

<< <i>cars did it look similiar to this auction? lnk
    The one you speak of maybe silver plated? I'am only familiar with the 4 oz $100 bill bars. >>

Yes, that's looks exactly the same.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I maybe wrong but I think that one and your example are silver plated. I know the $100 bill 4 oz say .999 silver on the bar. I also have a few 12 oz (troy pound) art bars that say .999 silver on them.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget that one troy pound is 12 troy ounces and NOT 16 troy ounces.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Over the years I have picked up stacks of those bills. I only paid spot as I really don't think much of them. 1 or 2 is fine, but after that, well enough is enough.

However, if it's the real deal, it will indeed state .999 fine silver and will state it's weight in troy ounces.

Many of them are still in their display cases and a box with a COA, and that is true today. Just a thin flat replica bill by itself would make me think twice.

Yes, sadly, several of them were only silver plated, that one micron thing or whatever. Those were often sold on TV or in Parade Magazine and the like.

They come in all sizes from 1 ounce up to a troy pound and I think I have at least one in every sigle possible weight from 1 ounce up to the troy pound bills.

If it's not stamped as .999 and list a weight in troy ounces, I'd stay away.

The only people who made money on those things were the people who manufactured them.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    I have seen many bars of this kind. If it doesn't say .999 fine silver, it is not silver. Most are silver plated and look like pure silver, have a good weight to them, and may even tone. They are usually silver plated copper. Most are well made, and the people trying to sell them to me are really impressed that they come sealed in plastic and have a "certificate of authenticity".
  • Options

<< <i>I have seen many bars of this kind. If it doesn't say .999 fine silver, it is not silver. Most are silver plated and look like pure silver, have a good weight to them, and may even tone. They are usually silver plated copper. Most are well made, and the people trying to sell them to me are really impressed that they come sealed in plastic and have a "certificate of authenticity". >>

Yeah, I'd agree with you here.

However, most of the COAs that I have looked at do say .999 and the troy weight along with the bill itself stating the same.

I don't know if I'd say most are silver plated, but then your milage may vary. You may have indeed seen more of the plated ones. In my experience, it's about one in ten that is the plated item. Yeah, those are generally copper and plated and they do tone. Pretty good fakes as far as the ones I've seen.

It's amazing how thin a real one ouncer is, I think it would bend in a stiff wind.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • Options
    I think I should have turned it down. I looked at it for a good while b/c I knew I've seen them on eBay. It really fooled me b/c it was toned around the edges however the edges were rough and there were a few places where I could see what looked like another type of metal underneath. This one had been handled a lot and was in a plastic sleeve which had seen better days. I don't really care for them but at what it was offered to me for I was going to trade. Glad I didn't. Thanks for the help. Actually I think it was here on this forum I read somewhere if it doesn't have .999 silver engraved on it better stay away from it.
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>I think I should have turned it down. I looked at it for a good while b/c I knew I've seen them on eBay. It really fooled me b/c it was toned around the edges however the edges were rough and there were a few places where I could see what looked like another type of metal underneath. This one had been handled a lot and was in a plastic sleeve which had seen better days. I don't really care for them but at what it was offered to me for I was going to trade. Glad I didn't. Thanks for the help. Actually I think it was here on this forum I read somewhere if it doesn't have .999 silver engraved on it better stay away from it. >>

I think you were seeing the copper bleeding through on those rough edges. That's a dead givaway.

You made the right move, in all likelyhood it was actually worthless. Well, except for the copper in it.