Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Got my NGC sub back today and what the!!!!!!!

My last NGC Submission showed up today and pulled out the first 2 coins
and about fell out of my chair. I wish I would have had a choice in slabs....
These wont match any of my others....Now what do I do. I for one do not
like the new slab. What's your take...

Comments

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    A little OCD? Well, I guess we all are image
  • Although I never really liked any NGC slabs, I really think the new ones are horrible. They are especially bad on smaller coins.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they are great for coins with edge lettering or for $10 Indians with the stars on the edge, etc.

But to use them for all coins????? LAME!!!

These slabs should be an option, not the rule...

Would look better with clear prongs holding the coin too I think. Oh well...
  • Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    What slabs?? All I see is two FINE Roosies..image
    Dan
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the mouth of a squid.
    Squid Mouth?? OH CRAP it does. image
    Dan
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugly!!!!!!! Ugly!!!!!!!

What is NGC thinking? Are they trying to drive business away? This is the pits! Try a close up of the coin...you'll have four big prongs on the coin edge to hide. Unbelievable.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Nick,
    I'll take the pair off your hands if they are CHEAP! You are right the slabs bite.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm...is that a mistake by them? They are not doing that to my coins? I actually like the look better myself but i wonder if that extra air in the holder will have an effect on the coins inside since they are basically a petry dish with potential contaminants etc??
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Freakish! image

Seriously though, nice coins.

Guess it would be nice to have had a choice. Would be great for coins with edge detail but even not it allows the inspection of the edge (for whatever that's worth).

• << <i>Looks like the mouth of a squid. >>

I would go with the Lamprey.

• onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    The prongs actually cover up a portion of the coin and the rim. I would say 20%
    of the rim is covered up. I bet this will lead to fewer cross over to PCGS. PCGS
    can now say they cannot see the entire coin and a ding or mark could be hiding
    under those prongs.

The submission I received last week was in the old holder. This is a very recent
    change. I believe we have no choice in the matter.
  • UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will buy them for 10 dollars each if you dont like the holders! image
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick,

Please please please show larger pics of those coins!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The slabs are beyond ugly!!!! The coins are darn nice!!!!

Ken
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All in all, the original first generation PCGS rattler done a darn good job. Suspended the coin in a clear holder, edges fully visible.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh progress (?)
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the new NGC slabs. Looks really cool. Those are some nice roosies you have.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

<< <i>Those are some nice roosies you have >>

NICE?? NICE?? Those coins were touched by the hand of God. KNEEL BEFORE THEM AND ASK TO BE FORGIVEN... image
    Dan
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't collect Roosevelt dimes but those two are nicely toned coins. I don't like any NGC holders but those new holders are especially unattractive. NGC holders at least provide excellent temporary protection for coins when I ship them to PCGS for crossover.

Both coins have a new home and now reside in one of the top Roosevelt dime
    collections. I did have to discount the price because of the Holder.....image

On another note I was thinking that if you dropped one just right I would
    bet you could jar the coin from a prong and if that happened the coin could be
    bouncing around loose in there.
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    I recently received a submission back and they too were in these UGLY holders! image
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those slabs suck bigtime. They should only use them for lettered edge coins.

Are they actually going to use those for trimes? The prongs will cover up 20% of the coin's surfaces!
  • I worry that the prongs might leave some sort of imprint showing tonal difference where they touch vs the exposed rim. What if ten years from now everyone is avoiding the coins that have the little chainlink pattern on the rims from what will have been a short lived NGC idea.

I saw a 1909-S VDB on ebay this week in one of these new holders, and it already rotated 30 degrees. Here's a Link to it.
    Staring at Lincoln Cents full time since 2001!
    http://numiscent.com
    email me
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I guess I am in the minority. While I don't like any NGC slabs, if I had to choose I like the prongs better.

Yes they do cover a part of the rim but much more of the coin is available for viewing if you take into account the edge.

Being a photographer, the old slabs were a pain in the a*s. The coins always tilted one way or the other causing shadows. It also makes it tough to get the whole coin in focus when it tilts.

To make a long story short, I think this slab has more going for it than the old.

• << <i>The prongs actually cover up a portion of the coin and the rim. I would say 20%
    of the rim is covered up. I bet this will lead to fewer cross over to PCGS. PCGS
    can now say they cannot see the entire coin and a ding or mark could be hiding
    under those prongs. >>

Hmmm. That may be all too true.

If it is, expect to see a downturn in submission numbers at NGC.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I sent them an email stating the slabs were ugly; the email I got back said everyone else loves them! Guess I was wrong????image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sent them an email stating the slabs were ugly; the email I got back said everyone else loves them! Guess I was wrong????image >>

Did you expect them to say "gee. you are right. we are total tools and didn't give this much thought, particularly for the smaller coins". ?

(Not laughing at you....laughing at their predictable response)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭
    I'm very surprised both didn't earn a * designation.

Beautiful coins, either way.

Ryan
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick:

Don't ever do that to the lovely 1951-P NGC MS-68FT*.image

I call those the CLAWS NGC slabs!

Dr. Frankensten, Igor and Abby Normal would like those new slabs!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭

<< <i>My last NGC Submission showed up today and pulled out the first 2 coins
    and about fell out of my chair. I wish I would have had a choice in slabs....
    These wont match any of my others....Now what do I do. I for one do not
    like the new slab. What's your take...

image >>

Submit them to PCGS for a cross over
    "Submit them to PCGS for a cross over "

At this time I would rather have them in an NGC star holder. Though I would have preferred
    the old holder.