Home Metal Detecting
Options

My new record for most coins found! (July 4th update)

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
This was in Ben Lomond, CA, at an old school house in the middle of the Redwoods that was built in 1895. It was NOT a fun place to detect, the area is actually kind of creepy 'cause it's in the middle of the woods.

In any case, I broke my record for the most coins found! Still just pennies, but I hit 70 even before quitting and the detector was still beeping that there were some more. My friends were with me and they were getting bored by that point. image It was at a historical schoolhouse. It's a new hoard-- the newest was from 2006.

There may be more older coins there, I just didn't have enough time as my non-detectorist friends were with me.

July 4th Update: I just spent the day volunteering at the schoolhouse to help raise money to keep the little schoolhouse in repairs-- one of the events was a penny toss, RIGHT where I had found so many pennies before. My total penny count ended up being around 190! This answers:

1. Why there's so many coins in a tiny area.
2. Why there's only cents, not dimes or quarters.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How old were they? What kind of condition were they in? Cool find.
  • Options
    Very new--- including a 2006...
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have the potential there to find a few Indian Heads,Liberty Nickels;maybe even Barber coinage i would think.You are probably going to have to get the newer coins (clad,Zincolns) and trash out of the way to find these,however.

My son and I have recently gotten into the detecting hobby and have searched some promising areas that are considered
    "old," as you say the schoolhouse is.Oftentimes,however,the location with the best potential have so much junk in the ground that the detector,even though it might have a pretty good discriminator,needs some help from you so that it can do its job and find those deeper and more valuable targets.

Literally, the coins are to be found in more than one layer if the location is old and people have gathered at the location more or less continuously for all those years to the present.

Have you found Wheaties at the schoolhouse? As others on this forum will tell you,if you can find Wheaties,the potential is there to eventually experience the joy of finding a silver coin.

I have some advice. Leave your non-detectorist friend at home,unless hotter than your detector,next time you go to the old schoolhouse.image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Good advice-- I will be leaving my friends at home. image I didn't take them out to detect specifically, so I can't blame the too much. I went by the school and had my detector with me. I think there is good potential for older coins, I just went staight to the modern penny hole and spent twenty minutes there. Even I was getting bored by it. image

• Options
    that looks just like a place near riccars house
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool finds and a cool site with much, much more potential. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Bump, with explanation at the bottom of the first post.
  • Options
    LOL..That is cool to know why!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good reason ..... and so simple, once the fact is known. Cheers, RickO