Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay Frustration

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just wanted to vent a little frustration to my fellow members. Sold a 1955 Franklin proof half dollar in raw condition to an ebay customer and advertised it as "high grade" but nowhere did I mention what I thought it would grade or guarantee a grade. The coin was purchased by someone who appeared to be very happy and 2 months later a negative feedback pops up for me cause the coin graded PR64 by PCGS. Quite obviously the buyer felt I misled them in the auction, but I feel the coin was nice, I used good pics and personally I thought it was probably PR65, maybe better. Does anyone else feel that I deserved the negative comment? If so, I will shut up and move on. I posted the link to the auction to help you decide.

Ebay Item in Question

Comments

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You definitely did not deserve the negative.

I have blocked your winning bidder.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant believe you can leave feedback that much later. Amazing he waited until after it got back from PCGS.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Well at least I have some support on this forum. I tried to petition ebay to remove his comments, but they are unable. There is a chance that the person can do it, but I dont know if he would be willing. He hasnt responded to my emails so far.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the majority of '55 coins graded in proof are 65/66 then I would think that you might
    be implying that your's better than the median coin for 1955. So, even though I don't think
    I'd leave you a negative I would have been unhappy as well. You have the coin in hand
    and have access to the pop reports like us all and therefore you did imply better than
    the average.
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Pr64 is not a bad grade and you should have not received a neg. If BB then yes but the buyer should have used his own judgement and return it right away if it wasn't what he wanted.
  • Options
    I'm with you Doc !! I've been disappointed with some of my ebay purchases, but have never left a bad feedback. I figure as long as the coin wasn't misrepresented in the discription, you take your chances on the TPG. You did nothing wrong as far as I can see.

• Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    Bogus, petty, and ignorant. Winning bidder blocked.

Took him two months to have someone else tell him what to think. Took him two seconds to lash out like the ignoramus he obviously is.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    looks like he's a frequent russ flyer there too....i can only see it now if russ blocks...the message to russ asking whyimage
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    This person seems to be on a negative feedback rage. Left 5 so far all because of tpgs grade or bb of coins they purchased.

It seems compucheap is safe, looks like they only bought already graded coins from him image

1.ADVERTISED AS "HIGH GRADE COIN" WHAT IS HIGH GRADE COIN? PCGS GRADED AS PR64:-(
    2.ADVERISED AND DESCRIBED PF68 PLUS COIN ?? PCGS GRADED AND RETURNED AS PR63 :-(
    3.ADVERTISED PR68 PLUS ??? PCGS GRADED AND RETURNED AS PR64 :-(
    4.You indicated this is Museum Quality ?? NGC graded and returned as AU58 :-(
    5.Nice photo work, Seller didnt disclosed PVC contaminated n PCGS will not grade.
  • Options
    I notice he just did this to three other seller's, involving four items. Again, giving them negs based on PCGS & NGC grade expectations. Just another dirtbag opportunist who knows he can ruin the reputations of other seller's while buying their coins in order to flip them.
  • Options
    looks like he's in a bad mood and leaving negs for most people recently. thanks for the heads up, don't think you deserve a neg.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What comes around goes around...bid on one of his auctions, win & wait 60 days & then neg. him......image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the action by the buyer is stupid and I'm certainly not going to allow this buyer to bid and then neg me two months after the fact because it didn't grade the way that he/she thought it would.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Looks like a nice coin! It seems accurately described.

But to say it would be great in a brilliant registry set is to imply it would certify.

Is it possible to write the guy and offer his money back if he retracts his feedback? I don't know if that is even possible but it should be...
  • Options
    Collectors Society member.........Look for him ATS.

imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    That's BS... When the buyer received the coin and if he didn't like it he should have returned it. The seller had no way of being 100% sure what the coin would have graded, unless he was a professional grader for the TPGs. If the buyer was looking for this coin in a specific grade then he/she should have bought the coin already graded. This is the first time I've ever heard of someone giving a negative because a coin didn't grade high enough image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Buyer buys raw $50 coin on sleazeBay
    Coin slabs out as...$50 coin. Hmmm...well...ummm...I dunno...I've never had that happen to me.
    Buyer clearly has unrealistic expectations of coins bought raw on the bay.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty lousy. Sorry you got dinged like that. The only thing I could say in the buyer's defense is that the angle of the photo may make it look cleaner than it is. If the buyer had a problem with this, he should have written to you about it earlier. Bottom line for most raw coin ebay purchases is that the PCGS (or other TPG) grade is somewhat of a crapshoot, from image to coin in hand to PCGS. It is not fair to penalize an honest seller for not getting the grade. Negatives should be reserved for gross misrepresentation, non-delivery, exceptionally poor service, etc. As Dog97 put it: buyer paid $50 for a $50 coin and was unhappy about it.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know people who might be vindictive enough to buy something from him and neg him just 'cause they can image

Bidder blocked prophylactically.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bidder blocked prophylacticallyimage
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    The coin in the photograph looks really nice - a lot nicer than the grade it eventually received, for sure!

So - this buyer just ups & negs you after having the coin graded?

Did he write you about it stating he was going to submit it and hold you to your opinion?

Did he write after the fact, to complain, to let you know how it (supposedly the same coin) graded or to ask for some sort of refund, rebate etc?

If he didn't - then apparently he's got a pretty crapppy attitude - an air of vindictiveness about him, for sure.

Sorry to see this happen to you. I suppose that ift there IS something to be learned here, it would be to refrain from offering a numeric opinion of grade!

Some people!image
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    BLOCKED
  • Options
    I never heard from the guy after selling it to him. Never complained, or asked to return it and I assumed he was happy/content with what he bought. Since I never heard from him, I forgot all about it and then my feedback score went down and I couldnt figure out why, especially since I hadnt sold anything on ebay in a while. I have really enjoyed reading the comments and it makes me feel alot better. I hope everyone that has read this thread has taken appropriate steps if they sell raw coins on ebay.
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Toolhaus.org

As previously noted, check out his recent negatives and his feedback history on Toolhaus. What a loser.

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to retail! image
  • Options
    No shortage of those. I suspend my judgment in favor of a 3rd party (TPG) and whine when I get skunked. But enough of politics and voting... err.. coin selling.
    Coinborg: Your distinctive coins will be added to my collection.
    BS&T image : kryptonitecomics, PCcoins (2x), Spoon (7x), Coppercolor, Preussen (2x), Filamcoins, agentjim007, CB2597, DCW, 1960NYGiants
    Ebay: + <waitin'> NEG: Chameleoncoins
    NonBST/Ebay: image Rick's Coins
    WTB: Toners, BU Darkside, Sovs & 20 Mark, LMU/SMU Gold.
  • Options
    BLOCKED, for most of the reasons stated above; you got a raw deal! Grading IS subjective; if the buyer didn't like the piece when he received it, he should have returned it.
    John G Bradley II
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    D-bag bidder blocked. Thanks for the heads up.

I really can't believe that. Proof 64 and leaves a negative 2 months later. What a pathetic man that buyer is.

You should send him this thread so he knows what his actions have earned him.

Edited to add: he's recently been leaving more than a few negatives of the same type. Definitely a bidder to avoid.

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Just because PCGS/NGC grades it as certain grade it ONLY their opinion and their opinion can change. Obviuosly the buyer is a newby coin collector. Also you must wonder if he did anything to it to "improve" it's looks before he sent it in. You have good feedback so don't even worry about it. image
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bidder blocked prophylacticallyimage >>

he has taken preemptive precautionary protection from him....by blocking him now.image
  • Options

<< <i>Since the majority of '55 coins graded in proof are 65/66 then I would think that you might
    be implying that your's better than the median coin for 1955. So, even though I don't think
    I'd leave you a negative I would have been unhappy as well. You have the coin in hand
    and have access to the pop reports like us all and therefore you did imply better than
    the average.
    bob >>

Uhh uhhh.. supposed statistics argument!!! Are you implying that the 1955 50c Franklin Proof distribution is normal (as in Gaussian normal)? As a matter of fact, are you implying that the distribution of grades given in TPG reports is the same (or substantially the same) as that of whole population? Is that the reason that there is not a single PR50 or lower graded coin in the pops at PCGS in the entire proof 50c Franklin series? Going by your argumentation, shouldn't it be clear that the majority of coins fall in the 66/67 grade range (i.e., 2514 vs. 2691 coins for each interval). What exactly is the expectaion (in %) or pulling a 64 out of a bag of random 50c Franklin proofs IF the PCGS distribution (and range) is correct?

The uhh "median coin" argument is only good if you know what the median coin actually happens to be.
    Coinborg: Your distinctive coins will be added to my collection.
    BS&T image : kryptonitecomics, PCcoins (2x), Spoon (7x), Coppercolor, Preussen (2x), Filamcoins, agentjim007, CB2597, DCW, 1960NYGiants
    Ebay: + <waitin'> NEG: Chameleoncoins
    NonBST/Ebay: image Rick's Coins
    WTB: Toners, BU Darkside, Sovs & 20 Mark, LMU/SMU Gold.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This clown should stick to buying coins that have already been slabbed by PCGS.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    "High grade" is subjective. Apparently he's no good at grading and is doing a crap shoot when he bids, believing they should all be 68's if he sees the words "high grade" in the description. That was a dirty deal on his part and he's been blocked from bidding, although we usually sell only slabbed coins. Looking at his feedback-leaving history, you were only the last victim following many others.

johnlj4 was NARU'd for about a day recently. All 270 trillion negs (slight exaggeration) he'd left people were removed, they all vanished from toolhaus.org... we were happy. Then he bounced right back in and they were all restored. I do NOT understand why eBay allows certain buyers to remain members. I wrote about him a few months ago, and if you're a seller and haven't blocked him yet, please just check his history in toolhaus and do what's best for you. He's a nightmare waiting to happen.

Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Blocked, what an idiot...
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    where's the bidder block page located at?
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

<< <i>where's the bidder block page located at? >>

Go to "help" and type in "blocking bidders" image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the buyer is an A-hole. And I agree with you that the coin sure looks better than a 64.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blocked! I wish the dirtbag could see what we're saying about him.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file